Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat)

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Probably the topic for another thread but it’s my bug bare every evening game. I’m sure the dark green is a disadvantage.
IF, there is even an issue (I don't think there is). This would surely be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. We wear the green every home game so would be used to it, it would be more of a problem for the opposition, who would not be used to it.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
So on the way out of HP l heard two fans discussing the game. One turned to the other and said l think its nonsense we are a possession based side. I think we are quite a direct team as we often try to hit the ball long.

lm not sure it’s quite true because we play around with it so much at the back, if we were a direct team why would we do this. However, it got me thinking that actually we do play it long on numerous occasions.
IF, there is even an issue (I don't think there is). This would surely be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. We wear the green every home game so would be used to it, it would be more of a problem for the opposition, who would not be used to it.
I wasn’t suggesting the team don’t know what there own shirt looks like.

The potential for a missed opportunity when trying to spread the play quickly, looking up and not isolating a player with a dark green shirt against a predominantly dark background; eg the stands and fans wearing dark winter clothing. To me, surely is a disadvantage. But I’m a middle aged man with failing eyesight 🤪

Reactions: saxman
Oct 31, 2015
What is it with us and midweek games. How many have we won in the last 4 years. It feels like none in the league but there must be one somewhere.

Perhaps our regimes differ pre match on a Tuesday. It's frustrating but not sure how it can be changed

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We beat Grimsby 3 nil on a Tuesday just before the season was suspended.

But yes, our record over the years can’t be great, it was particularly bad under Adams, we were a completely different team on a Tuesday compared to a Saturday.

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's been going on for at least 10 years.
Since 2011, league games only:

Played 40, won 13, drawn 13, lost 14.

Without the 4 Tuesday wins in 2018/2019 those stats would look even worse.
Lowe's record is won 4, drawn 4, lost 5.

Oct 11, 2014
Tuesday Morning training sessions (if at home), if too taxing, can lead to players being tired for the evening game. This was the case under Adams.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I must admit, I’m coming around to the same opinion. It could be a ‘green thing’.
I wonder if the players have an opinion about this?
Even though we dominated for long periods last night, there were several potential ‘killer passes’ that were intercepted.

Reactions: Tonka

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I wasn’t suggesting the team don’t know what there own shirt looks like.

The potential for a missed opportunity when trying to spread the play quickly, looking up and not isolating a player with a dark green shirt against a predominantly dark background; eg the stands and fans wearing dark winter clothing. To me, surely is a disadvantage. But I’m a middle aged man with failing eyesight 🤪
I’m in complete agreement with you about this. I know some people will say it is ridiculous to suggest that the shirt colour makes a difference but I can’t see any way that it helps us in evening games. It is much more difficult to notice Argyle players against the dark background and this must be even worse at pitch level. This would particularly be the case for peripheral or long-range/cross-field vision. There is also research that shows that when goalkeepers wear bright shirts they appear bigger to oncoming attackers and so surely dark shirts will reduce the on-field visual presence of our players when they are challenging the opposition.

Obviously, if we suddenly switched to lighter/bright shirts for evening games I wouldn’t expect an instant switch in results. This is just one factor in many. But I really do think that we should replace the dull/dark green shirts for night games for this reason. (The same logic probably also applies to all games but it is bound to be a smaller factor in daylight).

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the shirts yet.

If only it was two dulux shades brighter we would have been top of the league!
Not sure whether that’s tongue in cheek. 🤪But I and a few others agree. It was mentioned on the Agard thread.

I have always felt that such dark green shirts are a hinderance, especially on a wet drizzly evening with poor visibility against a backdrop of dark winter clothing attired fans. Eg. this becomes evident when trying to switch play at pace and pausing to see where exactly your man is on the opposite touch line.

Sep 6, 2006
I must admit, I’m coming around to the same opinion. It could be a ‘green thing’.
I wonder if the players have an opinion about this?
Even though we dominated for long periods last night, there were several potential ‘killer passes’ that were intercepted.
Think you've been whooshed!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
I’m in complete agreement with you about this. I know some people will say it is ridiculous to suggest that the shirt colour makes a difference but I can’t see any way that it helps us in evening games. It is much more difficult to notice Argyle players against the dark background and this must be even worse at pitch level. This would particularly be the case for peripheral or long-range/cross-field vision. There is also research that shows that when goalkeepers wear bright shirts they appear bigger to oncoming attackers and so surely dark shirts will reduce the on-field visual presence of our players when they are challenging the opposition.

Obviously, if we suddenly switched to lighter/bright shirts for evening games I wouldn’t expect an instant switch in results. This is just one factor in many. But I really do think that we should replace the dull/dark green shirts for night games for this reason. (The same logic probably also applies to all games but it is bound to be a smaller factor in daylight).
Another point about the shirts last night. About 1 in 12 men present on average would have red/green colour blindness so last night the only thing they could use to see a difference was the colour of the shorts. Surely Argyle could have used this clash of red and green to opt for the second strip and also to be more visible to our own players.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

But the difference between home games in daytime or nighttime is... day and night.

The huge thing for me is that in daytime the stands are naturally illuminated by daylight, but in night games they're very dark. So wide players must be getting camouflaged against that with their dark shirts AND shorts.

I can see the players merging against the stands when watching a game, but it's worse for the players because they're at pitch level.

Edit... I've moved this shirt chat here from the Agard thread (y)

Reactions: Tonka