Towards an objective view of the last 8 months | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Towards an objective view of the last 8 months

G

Greenskin

It certainly wasn't the only opportunity that the club had to push on,for us crumblies it was a repeat of similar instances which occured in the 1980's,1970's and 1960's [when gates compared with most clubs in the division on a more consistent basis].Bottom line is that the highest tier of the club has never been able to sustain even adequate financial backing,hence the lack of progress.Without wishing to start another million page thread on the why's and wherefore's of the sale of 2007/8,i don't agree that the job couldn't have been finished,or at least attempted, in that season-there was about £7m worth of players on the books who could have been sold in the following summer,which would have more than offset any losses-which probably wouldn't have been incurred anyway had the season panned out as i think it would have.That would have been the one time when i wished for someone like Ridsdale in charge-for all his dodgy dealings,he wouldn't have been afraid to at least give it a darned good shot when the chance arose.

L

Lord Tisdale

esmer":i4p8tzx5 said:
MarkinMelbourne":i4p8tzx5 said:
Gerald Wylie":i4p8tzx5 said:
Ridsdale borrowed £60 million against future gate receipts at Leeds.When he left them, they were £103 million in debt, and about to get relegated down two divisions.
He took Barnsley to the brink of liquidation, only to be saved at the last minute by two local businessmen who bought him out.
He took Cardiff from £35 million debt to £66 million debt and survived four winding up orders.
All this can be gleaned from Wikipaedia.
He manages to liquidate his own company(can't imagine why)and yet potentially ends up owning a football league club for £1.
And there are still people who sing his praises.
Guilfoyle has looked after Ridsdale from day one,and there needs to be an inquiry into this whole affair.

:iagree: Gerald, this whole Ridsdale involvement leaves me very worried about the club's future financial sustainability.

Not sure why he has this auroa of being able to attract investment. He didn't lure any to Cardiff and hasn't had any success on that front for us.
There are risks involved and,as I have said (more than once), it is very much just a possibility that he can attract investment but there are also risks if we have to live within our means, paying of a large debt at the same time. It could see a downward spiral of lack of on-field success and ever falling gates.

Ridsdale's "investments" are usually known to everyone else as borrowing. He has never invested a bean, but he has borrowed everywhere he has been until he has left a big pile of unsustainable debt. I don't know how he will accomplish this as the season ticket scam is now well known and Argyle will be lucky to get credit off the milkman. That means the mantra preached by Brent of "living within ones means" will have to be adopted by whoever runs the club. That's not to say that all is lost for Ridders, he can of course pay himself a great big fat salary.