• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Tory blue wall crumbling?

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Media reporting Sunak pushing for a year suspension for triple-lock on pensions as pensioners have "suffered less" than everyone else?

Really - many forced to isolate for long periods of time with little support, care homes *ring of steel - NOT) ravaged.

I suspect it has been leaked deliberately to gauge public reaction first.

One of the worst pensions in Europe, but apparently they've never had it so good?

I'd be pretty miffed if I was a pensioner - continually told you're to blame for all the world's ills and expected to stump up for everything.

This is just the sort of policy that could have major implications for the Conservatives, much like TMs stealth tax allowed Corbyn to claim a respectable defeat and led indirectly to Boris's thumping win.

Boris or Corbyn - what a choice.

Fine margins - a raid on pensioners is electoral suicide for the Conservatives in my opinion

Pilgrim_Joe":2feg3em3 said:
Media reporting Sunak pushing for a year suspension for triple-lock on pensions as pensioners have "suffered less" than everyone else?

Really - many forced to isolate for long periods of time with little support, care homes *ring of steel - NOT) ravaged.

One of the worst pensions in Europe, but apparently they've never had it so good?

I'd be pretty miffed if I was a pensioner - continually told you're to blame for all the world's ills and expected to stump up for everything.

This is just the sort of policy that could have major implications for the Conservatives, much like TMs stealth tax allowed Corbyn to claim a respectable defeat and led indirectly to Boris's thumping win.

Fine margins - a raid on pensioners is electoral suicide for the Conservatives in my opinion

It’ll never happen PJ. 85% of pensioners regularly vote, compared to below 60% of the rest. I agree it would be electoral suicide.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
mervyn":4qy9xgos said:
Pilgrim_Joe":4qy9xgos said:

It’ll never happen PJ. 85% of pensioners regularly vote, compared to below 60% of the rest. I agree it would be electoral suicide.

Reports again testing the water if a raid on pensioners to pay for the pandemic is acceptable to the general population

So they pay into the system all their life, get a paltry pension and are told "you've never had it so good"

Why have we normalised persecuting pensioners and the disabled (benefit spongers) in this country?

Truly shameful

Nov 15, 2011
I just can't work out how they're going to square the circle on the triple lock and every other promise. The spending has to come to an end and the debt addressed.

There are only 3 choices, cut spending hugely and forget levelling up, and back to austerity which they say is a no no, raise taxes which would alienate the tory base whether it's businesses or individuals, or borrow even more.

Sunak knows that inflation is on the horizon - oil and property price rises plus food next month when the Brexit costs on imports kick in. This will be exacerbated due to the huge shortage of HGV drivers as foreign drivers don't want to come here to do the paperwork and suppliers have to pay over the odds. Interest rate rises inevitably follow, so that means billions more needed to service the debt, the borrowing can't go on.

Then you have the promise to end the care crisis, which would cost tens of billions to restrict contributions to £50k, billions required by the NHS to sort out the backlog and Johnson already has MPs from South and North demanding not to be ignored / levelling up.

As in Johnson's entire life to date eventually his lies and promises he never had any intention of keeping will catch up with him, but if he's true to form he'll be legging it out the back door before he has to take any responsibility for his actions.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
There is something of an unspoken truth when it comes to pensioners. These days a much higher percentage of people are motivated to do the right thing and save for their retirement, equally there are better employer provisions on employers with obligations that didn't use to exist. Now that doesn't mean that those people ignore the state pension when planning for retirement of course, it's just not the case that every pensioner is sat in a damp room, with carpets from the 1970s, sipping a cup of tea as every newspaper will show you. However, there are people who have to live like that and they must be protected - and actually, disproportionately helped.

But, the triple lock is costly. Pensioners have in general enjoyed above average inflation rises several times over the last 11 years. Some reports suggest wage growth currently indicates an 8%+ rise next year in the state pension.

We have to pay for what has happened so as one measure, I would be in favour of a one year pause, but means tested to ensure that those in difficulty are not unduly penalised.

I’m sure there are many pensioners like me who would happily forgo the pension increase and £200 fuel allowance, particularly if it was hypothecated for the NHS or to take foreign aid back to 0.7% of GDP. I would also happily pay a little more on come tax if again it was directly transferred to those who live only on the state pension, and must therefore be struggling. I don’t buy the argument that these people should have made their own adequate provision, because surely no-one on minimum wage could pay into a pension fund.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57762787

Another day, another betrayal.

We have some of the poorest pensioners in Europe and yet they're targeted once again.

The constant rhetoric and ageism is just sad.

Mr Sunak told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The triple lock is government policy but I recognise people's concerns about what that might mean, given some of the numbers that are being put around.

"We will approach these decisions with fairness in mind - fairness for both pensioners but also for taxpayers."

He said there were "some questions around the earnings numbers"

With a government that squanders billions on unneeded vanity projects like HS2 why do they always target the disabled and the elderly to bear the brunt when these "fairness for taxpayers" schemes bully the more vulnerable members of society and deliver little real monetary return.

People will mention £3bn for pensioners, but we've spent £24bn on Test and Trace which is quietly being shunted into the long grass, £150 bn on HS2 and many billions defrauded by businesses and not yet recovered on the support schemes. That's already been acknowledged.

Just very, very poor.

Levelling down :sad:

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Pilgrim_Joe":3g4k1cbv said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57762787

Another day, another betrayal.

We have some of the poorest pensioners in Europe and yet they're targeted once again.

The constant rhetoric and ageism is just sad.

Mr Sunak told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The triple lock is government policy but I recognise people's concerns about what that might mean, given some of the numbers that are being put around.

"We will approach these decisions with fairness in mind - fairness for both pensioners but also for taxpayers."

He said there were "some questions around the earnings numbers"

With a government that squanders billions on unneeded vanity projects like HS2 why do they always target the disabled and the elderly to bear the brunt when these "fairness for taxpayers" schemes bully the more vulnerable members of society and deliver little real monetary return.

People will mention £3bn for pensioners, but we've spent £24bn on Test and Trace which is quietly being shunted into the long grass, £150 bn on HS2 and many billions defrauded by businesses and not yet recovered on the support schemes. That's already been acknowledged.

Just very, very poor.

Levelling down :sad:

" ... fairness for both pensioners but also for taxpayers."

I have been a tax payer for over 50 years, I have been a pensioner for 5 years. I am now both.

A policy is a policy until you don't like a 'blip' in it??

As long as people can get a train from Eckythump Central over to Eebaygum Halt and save 20 minutes on the journey it must be a sacrifice that I have to make!! :lol:

Nov 15, 2011
Their problem is that part of the triple lock is earnings which is estimated to rise by 8% ! That'll cost an extra £3 billion pa in pensions, all of this presaging spiraling inflation and interest rates, which in turn makes servicing the debt more expensive. But can he betray the pensioners who are disproportionally tory voters? I think Rishi is in the doodoos.