Top two leagues invited to trial Safe Standing. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Top two leagues invited to trial Safe Standing.

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Should be open to any clubs that wish to trial it not just the top 2 divisions

Reactions: Andy S

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I think it is more likely to be an oversight that there are clubs who must legally comply to the all seated legislation but are no longer in the top two tiers. Clubs such as Argyle, Portsmouth and Sunderland should be added to the invitation list although would Argyle want to take part in any trial from January? There is likely to be considerable expense to install rail seating, especially if the away end must also be converted at the same time. It might be best to wait for the outcomes of these trials.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
I think it is more likely to be an oversight that there are clubs who must legally comply to the all seated legislation but are no longer in the top two tiers. Clubs such as Argyle, Portsmouth and Sunderland should be added to the invitation list although would Argyle want to take part in any trial from January? There is likely to be considerable expense to install rail seating, especially if the away end must also be converted at the same time. It might be best to wait for the outcomes of these trials.
That's how I read it. Because we were bound by having been in the Championship, we are now eligible for the trial. Sadly I'm now past it for standing & prefer to sit.

May 5, 2006
Just watched a story on Sky about this, interestingly one of the requirements was that you must be able to stand or sit in the licensed area. Does that mean either must be available to use all the time, e.g. people can chose to sit or stand? This would seem a bit counter productive, or does it mean the area can be all standing or all seated depending on the clubs needs?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Might be a quick and cheaper fix for the Grandstand Upper! ;)

Reactions: GreenThing

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Might be a quick and cheaper fix for the Grandstand Upper! ;)
I read somewhere that at Chelsea the depth of each row (step) had to be 75cm to accommodate the railed seating. Any idea what it is up there in the Grandstand?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Yeah you're spot on with the last sentence.

Given Mr Hallett's perfectly sensible approach to funding the club he'll want to be sure this is something that will stay before spending the money on it.

I'm all for waiting to see what happens.

It'll be interesting to get an idea of the cost of installation though, and what impact it'll have on regs around non-safe standing areas. Will there be a crack down by the SAG on standing in seated areas as a result.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Well if there are legal authorised standing areas in the ground then there there should be no standing (prolonged) elsewhere. I expect some will persist and sneer at me for not being a true fan like them. I pay to watch the game not the back of someone singing; Stand up if you love the Greens'. I do love the Greens so much so that I pay to watch them play!
Happy if those who want to stand get what they want. I stood in the Demport and Mayflower for many years. I'm not that person any more, physically and mentally. Not going to apologise for that tho'!

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Premier League clubs Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea and Championship side Cardiff have all had their applications to be part of a safe standing trial approved.

Chelsea's Premier League game against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on 2 January will mark the return of standing to the English top flight after nearly 30 years.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Premier League clubs Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea and Championship side Cardiff have all had their applications to be part of a safe standing trial approved.

Chelsea's Premier League game against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on 2 January will mark the return of standing to the English top flight after nearly 30 years.
They are saying this but both Chelsea and Manchester City have already been operating their safe standing areas all season. The others may well have too. I have been to both these stadiums this season and the rail seating was there for us to use and watch the games whilst standing safely.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
They are saying this but both Chelsea and Manchester City have already been operating their safe standing areas all season. The others may well have too. I have been to both these stadiums this season and the rail seating was there for us to use and watch the games whilst standing safely.
So what if there had been an incident/accident whilst they didn't have official permission?
(or do you think they did and this is just an announcement?) :unsure:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So what if there had been an incident/accident whilst they didn't have official permission?
(or do you think they did and this is just an announcement?) :unsure:
Who knows, but these seats with rails were installed during the summer and have been used since the opening day fixtures. I guess people should officially still have been sitting in their seats but I don't think I have ever sat at an away game in the Premier League. At home there are areas in the stadium where you are expected to sit and others parts where standing is the norm, just like at Home Park. Putting railed seating into those areas where people stand must surely improve safety but I just hope they never take my seat away completely. I like to use it before the game and at half time.