Tony Waiters R.I.P | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tony Waiters R.I.P

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
RIP. My first promotion season after seeing us relegated about 8 years earlier. The Mariner/Rafferty season was special, some huge crowds at Home Park for the run in and the real old fashioned live football atmosphere.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Truly one of our greatest managers. Such an exciting time to have been an Argyle fan under his stewardship.

RIP - Argyle legend.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
yes, he was a fine manager of Argyle. It was just a pity he did not manage the team for a longer period as I think he could have taken Argyle a long way given adequate backing. As Woodsy has highlighted he was was also a fine keeper in his own right, who was an International player. RIP Tony and thanks for getting the best out of Paul Mariner in his Argyle days.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
The only banner I ever made said Waiters Chosen Few.....it highlighted both the fact he was under pressure from the fans as we stumbled at our new level a little as we lost players like Mariner....and also my Blue Peter skills were not the best

Sad sad news....his team was the most exciting I ever watched for Argyle ( I have been exiled for thirty years or so ) and he had a freshness and a certainty about him that carried you with him.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him but he gave me some of the best football moments of my life, and for that I shall be eternally grateful

PS If you count Amateur internationals it is three ex Argyle England international keeper managers....Mike Kelly :)

Feb 8, 2005
I don't often write on these obituaries, but I'd like to pass on my sincere condolences to what family he has left behind.

Tony was a different type of manager, very hands on, he was a player's manager, he was serious about his football, he put forward views that made sense, he pulled the city together with his fund raising exploits and he made me believe that we were on our way, maybe to the promised land at last.

Had he had any backing we might well have made it, but alas, as always, the boardroom ran Argyle as a business, and did not match up to his and our expectations, and our dreams soon fell apart.

Thank you for what you did, Tony. You tried, and you will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
Very sad news RIP Tony Waiters

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Great manager. The Board should have backed him more and persuaded him not to resign when the inevitable bad run of form hit the team. Remember him running a marathon around Plymouth to raise funds to sign players. What commitment! What a ride it was, Promotion, League Cup run (including the 3-0 hammering of QPR at their place) and the delight of watching Mariner, Rafferty, Machin, Delve and the great Jim Furnell. Thanks, for everything, Boss, RIP.

Feb 4, 2020
Although I' d started going to HP from 1969, it was that 74 -75 season that will always live longest in the memory. I regularly used to collect players' autographs and watch training.. Tony was always so friendly to us kids and such a character and inspiration.

Very sad. R.I.P