Tony Waiters R.I.P | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Tony Waiters R.I.P

Sep 6, 2006
'Waiters, Waiters, Waiters'. I remember those chants from that wonderful promotion night in front of 25,000 in April 1975. The man who built my favourite team. Perhaps in my naivete I genuinely believed we could push for the old 1st Division then with Waiters in charge.
I was lucky enough to chat with him at the reunion two years ago when he was over from Canada. He was as sharp as ever then. I did think he had come for one last visit to somewhere he held a special place for in his heart.
Gone but not forgotten.

Can we get a picture of him on the banner?

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
Very sad news indeed Tony was a true LEGEND for the Greens. RIP

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Condolences to his family.

Very sad news for all Argyle fans, especially those who were there in the mid-seventies.

Thanks for coming in and making an immediate impact when we were looking like serious candidates for relegation to Division 4.

Thanks for bringing in Ernie Machin, if ever a player led by example it was him.

Thanks for the amazing run to the League Cup Semi-Finals during the restrictions of the 3-day week and energy saving which featured some great away performances.

Thanks for the wonderful 1974-75 season and promotion, led by the goals of Rafferty and Mariner but there were important contributions from many others in that team. It was an amazing season with away wins at Bournemouth (7-3) and Hereford (5-1) which still live in the memory of those of us who were lucky enough to be there.

Oct 21, 2015
Drawing Chorley yesterday would have completed the circle. Lucky to have been a young teenage fan during the magnificent Waiters era....and got the lifetime Argyle bug. One small personal memory...Tony was the guest on a Local Radio phone in and plucking up the courage and egged on by my late dad I made that call, and got through! I blurted out a simple question like 'do you think we will get promoted' and stood transfixed as across the airwaves I heard the Boss thanking me for the call and courteously responding with his thoughts. No daily video cam interviews in those days ....just a very special moment that has been a highlight of my Argyle journey.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
A legend. RIP Tony, thanks for the memories. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

For those who haven't seen it there's a video on the Archive website of an interview with Gordon Sparks at the reunion dinner last year.

https://argylearchive.org.uk/collection/

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Not a word on the BBC Sport section. Main headline is the mistake made by Greg Clarke referring to black players as coloured players. I’m guessing that means he is racist now.

Phil Mallett

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 16, 2003
Tadley, Hampshire.
Very sad news - R I P Pilgrim

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Larry David":33t9umpw said:
Not a word on the BBC Sport section. Main headline is the mistake made by Greg Clarke referring to black players as coloured players. I’m guessing that means he is racist now.

What's Greg Clarke and his subsequent aopolgy to do with the passing of Tony Waiters? If you have an agenda start a new thread, preferably on the Opinions board.

RIP Tony.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
RIP the greatest manager Argyle ever had. Could have taken us all the way but politics and finances dictated then as now.
That mid 70s side of his will be forever etched in the memory.
Can this year get any worse?