Today I Found Out... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Today I Found Out...

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
...that Taylor Swift is a Blue Nile fan, or at least references them in one of the tracks from her new album (more specifically The Downtown Lights from their second album Hats).

The Blue Nile are one of the great Scottish bands - one of the best bands many people haven't heard of - and I was told a long time ago that they were a band musicians listened to. And, apparently, Taylor Swift.

So what interesting, or not so interesting, fact has anyone else found out today?

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I've just reacquainted myself with the excellent Tinseltown in the Rain - a quintessential early- to mid-eighties guitar/synth pop-rock song if ever there was one.

And while I'm at it: good for Tay-Tay for, ahem, taking back control of her IP by re-recording all her albums (as 'Taylor's Version') to screw over the corporate owners of her original master recordings who thought they had her in their pocket for life. Now, when all the Swifties buy her versions, Mr. Suit gets a big fat zilcho, maaaan!

Reactions: Quinny

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Blue Nile and The The, the two most uderrated bands of the 1980s.

I remember singing Tinsel Town in the Rain with a 6ft 6 tall South African rugby lock (he played for Natal), in a pub in Reading (randomly) after we got into a conversation about music and he said he liked the Blue Nile... random. So we immediately dropped into a drunken version of Tinsel Town, completely spontaineously. I look back now and it seems so surreal. Just goes to show the appeal of that band.

Blue Nile and The The, the two most uderrated bands of the 1980s.

I remember singing Tinsel Town in the Rain with a 6ft 6 tall South African rugby lock (he played for Natal), in a pub in Reading (randomly) after we got into a conversation about music and he said he liked the Blue Nile... random. So we immediately dropped into a drunken version of Tinsel Town, completely spontaineously. I look back now and it seems so surreal. Just goes to show the appeal of that band.
I love the The The track with Jules Holland on piano.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I love the The The track with Jules Holland on piano.
Uncertain Smile.

Edit: there was a DJ (Andy ... Someone) at the old Munro's club on Union Street (he was probably there when it later became Blondz) who was a big The The fan, and played a remix of Uncertain Smile I haven't heard since: the Jools Holland piano bit was looped and extended to being a couple of minutes long and was really rather good.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
Today I found out ..from Mervyn about Jools Holland accompanying The The and it gave me 5 very happy minutes.
I just love The The. This is the day coming up ..

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Uncertain Smile.

Edit: there was a DJ (Andy ... Someone) at the old Munro's club on Union Street (he was probably there when it later became Blondz) who was a big The The fan, and played a remix of Uncertain Smile I haven't heard since: the Jools Holland piano bit was looped and extended to being a couple of minutes long and was really rather good.
Andy Howard probably