This weekend, 46 years ago... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This weekend, 46 years ago...

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Leading up to the Hull game - and experiencing the dreaded collywobbles again - made me reflect on the very first time I felt this way.

It was 1978 - 46 years ago this week - when I first experienced the kind of butterflies and anxiety that I have learned to associate with regular end-of-season nightmares. There were vague parallels with our present state of affairs, insofar as a season of wild jubilation was followed by a worrying fall from grace (albeit not in consecutive seasons). In addition, the good times were separated from the bad by the departure of charismatic and talismanic personalities.

April, 1975 saw the culmination of a season that many will still argue as being among the finest in Argyle’s history. Waiters’ Wonders had taken the third tier by storm and clinched promotion back to the second tier, in no small part due to the herculean efforts of a strike force known as Mariner/Rafferty.

1975/76 was our first time back in the second tier for a fair few years and saw us relying on the magical Mariner/Rafferty combination for 30 of our goals. This certainly helped us achieve what was a reasonably comfortable ten-point cushion against relegation at the close of play. At the beginning of Season 1976/77, however, we were always in danger of entering what is now referred to as ’difficult second season’ territory. With this in mind it seemed that the obvious thing to do (!) before the season started was to sell Rafferty and follow it up a few months later by offloading Mariner.

The latter involved a very shrewd bit of business with the Tractor Boys. They got Mariner and we ended up with Terry Austen, John Peddelty and a bag of magic beans. Even though I was in my early 20s (and still wet behind the ears) it didn’t escape me that perhaps selling both of your talismanic, scoring-for-fun players might not have been the wisest move. And so to proved. In a season that screamed ‘We are doomed!’ from as early as October (we only won five matches after Mariner’s departure) we were ultimately despatched ‘back from whence we came’.

‘Oh, well’ I thought ‘at least the games will be easier and we'll pop straight back up again.’ (I told you I was wet behind the ears!) Unfortunately, in Season 1977/78 we struggled under two managers (Mike Kelly and Lenny Lawrence) before bringing in a third (sound familiar?), Malcolm Allison By the time the flamboyant Allison arrived (sorry, but it is mandatory to use ‘flamboyant’ when referring to ‘Big Mal’) Argyle were in dire straights. With 12 matches to go, we had only managed six wins all season. When Allison arrived, few people (myself included) thought an inevitable consecutive relegation could be avoided. He started to steady the ship, however, and results improved - including a 5-1 mid-week thrashing of Portsmouth at Fratton Park. The odd draw and win here and there culminated in a crunch match on the 29th of April, 1978.

Argyle were to take to the field at Home Park against fellow relegation contenders, Port Vale, on the last but one game of the season. I remember waking up on a very pleasant and sunny day, consumed with total dread. Although I had experienced two relegations from second tier to third in my relatively brief Argyle relationship, there was far more at stake this time around. Defeat at home to Port Vale would have almost certainly consigned us to the fourth tier of English football for the first time in Argyle’s history. At that time the ignominy of that state of affairs was totally unthinkable to me, hence the accompanying feelings of stress, nausea, nervousness and general doom leading up to my journey to Home Park that afternoon.

The match itself was - and please excuse the cliche - an emotional rollercoaster with gut-wrenching lows at the beginning and unbelievable euphoria at the final whistle. Argyle won 3-2 and a summary of that monumental encounter can be found on the excellent Greens On Screen. Disaster had been avoided and Argyle were still amongst the clubs never to have been plunged into the dark abyss of the fourth tier. Sadly, we all know that wasn’t to last, but for a short period of time on that April weekend, 46 years ago, everything seemed wonderful.

I can only pray for a similar outcome this Saturday!

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
That was a very good read Mark58, told with such clarity and bringing back some old memories back to life; and also thanks to April 1971 for referencing both of those matches at HP with Bradford City that season, both very memorable for different reasons.

Reactions: Mark58

jerryatricjanner

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Great summary, if I remember correctly the Devonport end was closed for safety reasons and we finished off the season beating Bradford City 6-0 after the game was abandoned in a blizzard in February, seems like yesterday 😯
Was the Devonport end closed late in the season then? I was in there for the abandoned game in February and mighty relieved when it was abandoned. It was the coldest I have ever been in my life. If I remember correctly there was less than 3,000 hardy souls there that day.

Reactions: Tavy Tony
May 11, 2019
Was the Devonport end closed late in the season then? I was in there for the abandoned game in February and mighty relieved when it was abandoned. It was the coldest I have ever been in my life. If I remember correctly there was less than 3,000 hardy souls there that day.
Yeah I think it closed for the last two games, I was in Devonport for the abandoned Bradford game but managed to get in the lower Mayflower seats to try to warm up unsuccessfully ❄️

Reactions: jerryatricjanner

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah I think it closed for the last two games, I was in Devonport for the abandoned Bradford game but managed to get in the lower Mayflower seats to try to warm up unsuccessfully ❄️
I cannot remember ever feeling colder! It has gone down in the annals that the abandonment of that Bradford City game (when well into the second half and with them 1-0 up) proved to be the difference between relegation and survival for us.

We can only hope we have similar luck on Saturday! 🤞

Reactions: April 1971
Jan 28, 2005
My Dad met Tony Waiters some years after the season we were relegated from the second division. He asked him why he had sold both Rafferty and Mariner. Tony Waiters replied that he had sold Rafferty in the hope that the income would enable him to keep Mariner but, of course, it wasn't to be. Mariner, who played 35 times for England scoring 13 goals, could not be confined to division 2 but the deal that brought a fragile John Peddelty to Argyle was a poor one. Terry Austin was generally under-rated but everyone would have been after Mariner.

I was also at the home game against Bradford City. The referee abandoned the game because his watch froze and he took at least half an hour to thaw out after the game. Mick "Killer" Horswill (a player I generally liked) contrived to get himself sent off (he found such things relatively easy) offering the explanation that he was cold. My source for this information was the late Peter Hall.

Malcolm was certainly flamboyant and under his tenure Argyle generally played good football. After Mike Kelly left, Lennie Lawrence was put in temporary charge. Lennie felt that with a fit Steve Perrin Argyle might survive the drop but he did not have much confidence in Fred Binney. Big Mal reinstated Binney (who had been signed by Clough for Brighton before his move to Argyle) and Binney started to score for fun. He kept it up for a few more seasons.

Those days were great to be an Argyle fan but I think these days are comparable. We're a better team than we appear to be but are thoroughly lacking in confidence. I am always hopeful for an Argyle win but, something of a first for me, I have a second team on Saturday ... a certain Norwich City. They need a draw to be certain of the right play-off spot. I'm hoping they get it.

greenteign

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
♣️ Teign Valley Greens
Dec 27, 2016
What a great thread! Thanks for a really well written memoir Mark58 and to all the other contributors for their memories. FWIW I am similarly anxious about Saturday and hoping for a good outcome, but there is also the inevitable feeling of gloom and bitter disappointment. I’m hoping for a result but expecting us to lose and see Birmingham survive at our expense.

Reactions: Mark58
I was living in East Anglia at this time, and visited Portman Road about 4/5 times a season. Robson, and most fans, could not believe the Mariner deal, which firmly set the image of Argyle as a bunch of country bumpkins in my mind for some time. It was the steal of the century.

Sep 6, 2006
You chose wrong option. I was in The Lyndhurst and we were all huddled together like penguins. Seemed to work. I remember it was a bitter easterly coming right across the Barn Park End.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
You chose wrong option. I was in The Lyndhurst and we were all huddled together like penguins. Seemed to work. I remember it was a bitter easterly coming right across the Barn Park End.
Here is a fascinating extract from the Telegraph & Argus on the 24th of February 2018, in advance of a trip by Bradford City to Home Park. It gives the different perspective of the away supporter.

THEY were conditions, according to one travelling fan, “more befitting of the South Pole than South Devon.”

As the Bantams make the long trek to Plymouth this weekend, it marks almost exactly 40 years since a previous visit had to be abandoned because of a blizzard.
Then as now, City headed to the south-west on a poor run of form – even worse, given they were bottom of Division Three after seven successive defeats.
New signing David McNiven had offered some respite with a goal on his debut to put the visitors 1-0 up.

And the home side were down to ten men after the City striker was punched by full back Mick Horswill.
But with the weather getting worse by the minute, referee Ron Crabb decided the show could not go on after an hour and postponed proceedings.
City were relegated by the time the rearranged fixture took place three months later – and Plymouth won 6-0.

But Chris Hawkridge, former chairman of the City Supporters’ Trust, has never forgotten that first game; one that – for official purposes – never existed.
As he prepares to retrace his steps to Home Park today, Hawkridge recalled a wintry weekend that remains etched on the memory.
He said: “I remember a goal kick being taken and the ball curling back into the area and being stopped by a defender from going out for a corner. The wind was that strong.
“Stories of the referee's watch having frozen, and of him suffering from frostbite, while apocryphal, may have more than an element of truth in them.
“But for me, at least the memory of a match that never should have started, a match that never finished and the most amazing weather conditions I have ever witnessed live on.
“While none of us will be looking for a repeat performance from the weather, this fixture will certainly bring back memories of conditions more befitting of the South Pole than South Devon.”
The pitch had been declared playable when the City team arrived. But sleet and then snow began to fall heavily about 45 minutes before kick-off.
Crabb needed medical treatment afterwards although he denied he had collapsed from exposure in the players’ tunnel. But he admitted he had never refereed in a game like it.
Speaking to the Telegraph & Argus at the time, he said: “It was all right when you had your back to the wind. But when you turned round to face it, it was hopeless.
“When we turned round in the second half, we could not see against that hail. A few of the players were wilting in the conditions and you have to protect everyone.”
City boss John Napier was understandably unimpressed with the abandonment as he felt an end to their long losing streak was in sight.
But it was the small knot of away supporters who really paid the price when the weather caved in.
They had huddled together for warmth in the main stand after a tannoy announcement inviting them to move and escape the teeth of the blizzard. Many of the die-hards had travelled in hope more than expectation, waiting any minute for news that the game would not go ahead anyway.
But the fun and games began once the referee had pulled the plug.
“It came as little surprise that it was abandoned,” added Hawkridge. “But the frustration was compounded when the police met us as we were coming out of the ground.
“They rounded up the 50 or so City fans who had made it down there and told us ‘bad news, all the roads out of Plymouth are blocked’.
“They got us down to the police station and made some phone calls. For those who had come by coach, they made arrangements for them to stay over in the naval barracks.
“I think they stayed there for two or three nights because the weather was so bad.
“Luckily, I was on the train and they found out there was one going out to Exeter.
“There was me and a couple of detectives but it must have taken hours to get there. At least once we did, the weather was a lot better.
“I live in the Midlands and eventually got home in the early hours. But for others, I believe it might have been the Monday or the Tuesday when they eventually got out.
“The record books will show that in that 1977/78 season, Plymouth beat Bradford City 6-0 at Home Park.
“The great shame is not so much the fact that City lost a match they were winning at the time of the abandonment, but that one of the most amazing games of football has effectively been struck from the record books and the game’s official memory.”

And to think that we tend to moan nowadays when Sky mess about with kick-off times for away matches! :ROFLMAO:

Moleman

✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2006
Plymouth
Great summary, if I remember correctly the Devonport end was closed for safety reasons and we finished off the season beating Bradford City 6-0 after the game was abandoned in a blizzard in February, seems like yesterday 😯
The Devonport End was closed but not for safety reasons, that happened 2 years later in 1980 when the roof was removed. It was closed for the Port Vale game and the Bradford game due to temporary seating being erected under the cover for a forthcoming military tattoo being held on the pitch.

Reactions: April 1971