The West Ham blueprint | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The West Ham blueprint

Mar 12, 2008
Leeds
If Mr Brent reads this website, then can I suggest he has a look at the BBC article below?

The blueprint at West Ham was simple:

1) An experienced manager with good man-management skills
2) A focus in training on attacking and defending set pieces
3) An appreciation by the board that "the performance on the pitch helps the financial situation, and the financial situation helps what happens on the pitch."

It's not actually that difficult.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329052

Apr 15, 2008
London
Yes, all we need is Andy Carroll on loan, a manager with a long history of over-achieving in the Premier League and £70m in debt.

"I'm forever blowiong bubbbbles!"

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
crownhillpilgrim":3cy8kpqm said:
Yes, all we need is Andy Carroll on loan, a a manager with a long history of over-achieving in the Premier League and £70m in debt.

"I'm forever blowiong bubbbbles!"

Who wants a leggy striker who cannot score for West Ham. We had Jimmy Hinch, who could do that for less money.

the scary thing mentioned in the article is when west ham were relegated there was a lack of camaraderie between the players and there was a discipline issue. They wanted to bring in a man with a bit of steel - ring any bells?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Remember though that their chairman has been in the business a looooooong time. Give JB a break, he's new to this too, and as Crownhill says...they consider being 70m in debt as a positive now. One bad season and West Ham would be in a pickle again.

Dec 19, 2008
Liam Vercoe":228vq96d said:
West Ham have spent loads of money though.

You could always read the article.
Gold said West Ham's debts, which stood at £110m when they took over in January 2010, will be down to nearer £70m by the end of the season.

The difference is that the West Ham board are football people, West Ham are in London so it's always going to be much easier for them to sign players and West Ham have a history of producing exceptional players.

I read the article at lunch time and it did make me think exactly what the OP has stated above.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
hairy j":r4vz9tg6 said:
Liam Vercoe":r4vz9tg6 said:

Gold said West Ham's debts, which stood at £110m when they took over in January 2010, will be down to nearer £70m by the end of the season.

The difference is that the West Ham board are football people, West Ham are in London so it's always going to be much easier for them to sign players and West Ham have a history of producing exceptional players.

I read the article at lunch time and it did make me think exactly what the OP has stated above.

Where does the article state they haven't spent loads of money? Just because it doesn't come from the club, it comes from the owners directly, doesn't mean they haven't spent loads. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to follow their exact blueprint.

Apr 15, 2008
London
but it's a tad simplistic - a lot like saying the blueprint for an award-winning, box office hit movie is:

1. An experienced director with skill at handling actors
2. A great cast who can handle action and dialogue
3. A great script that entertains the audience while offering them something new

All well and good, but all 3 of those things are at a premium and cost money - and if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Dec 19, 2008
Liam Vercoe":2y06vp68 said:
hairy j":2y06vp68 said:
Liam Vercoe":2y06vp68 said:

Where does the article state they haven't spent loads of money? Just because it doesn't come from the club, it comes from the owners directly, doesn't mean they haven't spent loads. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to follow their exact blueprint.

They've reduced their debt by £40m and didn't go into administration - people forget that James Brent didn't come in and pay off the debts that the club owed - we went through administration.

They've spent about £20m-ish recently which given the league they play in, isn't huge. They've virtually released a whole squad too. One thing that Fletcher should have done when he took over was to ship out all the players who were not good enough - we have no reserve team but a squad of over 30. That's too many.

PutneyPete

♣️ PASALB Member
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
paulysalz":1kro3ll6 said:
If Mr Brent reads this website, then can I suggest he has a look at the BBC article below?

The blueprint at West Ham was simple:

1) An experienced manager with good man-management skills
2) A focus in training on attacking and defending set pieces
3) An appreciation by the board that "the performance on the pitch helps the financial situation, and the financial situation helps what happens on the pitch."

It's not actually that difficult.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329052

And throw ins!

Quote from the article:

"Noble talks of Allardyce's attention to detail, analysing opponents' strengths and weaknesses, and targeting free-kicks, corners and throw-ins as areas to focus on.

"He reminds us every weekend how many goals are scored from set-plays, free-kicks and corners.
He likes to nail them down and it's made a huge difference to us over the last two seasons," said the club's longest-serving player."

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
run_PAFC":dqxvt532 said:
the scary thing mentioned in the article is when west ham were relegated there was a lack of camaraderie between the players and there was a discipline issue. They wanted to bring in a man with a bit of steel - ring any bells?

Quasimodo ?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Just going to question the "Get in an experienced manager" argument.

Last two seasons, these are the managers that achieved promotion from League Two and how much previous experience they had as a football league manager.

Paolo Di Canio - Swindon - No years previous FL managerial experience.
Steve Davis - Crewe - No years previous FL managerial experience.
Graham Westley - Stevenage - No previous FL managerial experience.
Alan Knill - Bury - 3 years previous FL managerial experience.
Garry Waddock - Wycombe - 3 years previous FL managerial experience.
Steve Evans - Crawley - 3 years previous FL managerial experience.
John Sheridan - Chesterfield - 4 years previous FL managerial experience.
Graham Turner - Shrewsbury - 25+ years previous FL managerial experience.

So asides Turner being the obvious anomaly, i'd argue experience has nothing to do with it, it's completely to do with the manager's ability.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
John Petrie":29ilq7lg said:
Nobby, how much experience was there in the coaching set up and at DoF level though?

Also, you only include Football League experience as if coaching and managing at a lower level does not count as experience at all, which of course it does.

If we were to assess coaching set up and DoF's and budgets and such other things, Fletcher would be at a huge disadvantage to all of them.

Also, that's a fair point, but at the same time League Two is a very different proposition to the conference or lower. Some of them had a couple years non-league, some had none. None of them asides Turner had what you would consider 'a wealth' of experience.