• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The time of your Argyle life

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
1985/86 and 1986/87
Ciderman's team and promotion followed by the fun of travelling around the country in Division 2 (old money, we're in Division 3 at the moment) for a 17/18 year old, who had dumped A Level studies to get a job so that I could follow Argyle in the higher division, was just bliss, and the reason that my heart is Green.

May 16, 2016
I'd always say the Shilton era but looking at videos of some of the games now, I'd say the football we see today is better but the Shilton stuff was more exciting as for most of that Season we all just knew we would win. If the other team scored, we'd just score some more.

I still think the journey up the leagues is far better than the consequence of arriving. I still recall a post from way back that said at that time to make the most of it as " this is a good as it gets". Hopefully we one day get to see that proved wrong.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I must admit it must be bleddy boring to simply exist year after year in one division. Everton, Spurs etc? What IS the point?

Reactions: Floyd Pepper
Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
Interesting points above. I have a Stoke friend and a QPR friend who say they enjoy being in the Premiership but actually prefer the championship in many ways. I just hope we can judge that viewpoint for ourselves someday :ROFLMAO:

In my lifetime I enjoyed the mid 2000s and the lead up to that time. I was late teens to early 20s and was able to travel all home and away with no worries and see some great football. Loved the championship years.

Jan 20, 2004
I was a teenager in the Mariner/Rafferty era and they were a special days, like many on here, my world fell apart when that strike partnership was dismantled.

I still resent Ipswich to this day. They might have been in div.1 at the time but in my mind Argyle with a city three times their size were potentially a bigger club when they stole our destiny.

Apr 30, 2011
For me, the time around Shilton coming in and the team put together by Dan McCauleys money was the highlight. Plans for a tradium, a well resourced and (at that particular time) motivated chairman, brilliant team to watch and a number of £200k plus signings. I was convinced that we would be in the Premier League with 5 seasons. Who knows, if we had managed to turn Burnley over in the semi final maybe we would have made it .....

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
So many. Will always have a soft spot for first ‘favourite player’ as a young child in Derek Rickard, and of course for the 74-75 season, Mariner/Rafferty et al.

But 85-86 was special. Early 20s and following Argyle around the country with ten or so mates in the back of a Sherpa van. Some great away days (Wigan excluded) and some fantastic celebration nights out. Not forgetting the odd dodgy moment such as the Darlo pub we were in being attacked with bricks (as well as our van).

Some great times had.

Jan 30, 2016
As with many other supporters here, it was watching Paul Mariner and Billy Rafferty play. Probably the best striking partnership for Argyle ever. I always thought that Rafferty was underrated.
I have to admit I am really enjoying the team now. I just love the attacking mindset but also the defensive qualities that we now have. I still watch with bated breath as I am never sure what this team will bring us, but slowly I am believing in their resilience which a team needs in order to get promotion. The 4 weeks in Nov/Dec will tell how good we are.

Reactions: saxman
Been supporting since I moved here in 1983. This one feels the best simply because it feels part of a long term sustainable plan, whereas the Ciderman, Luggy and Warnock promotions, welcome as they were, came as a surprise. This time if it still takes another season or two to get to the Championship, or even if we yo-yo once we’re there like Rotherham I shan’t feel so disappointed because I feel we’re on a really good long term footing.

Like earlier posts I genuinely feel sorry for my Premiership supporting friends who simply can’t share our type of experience.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I came to Argyle later in life - in my late 20s - so it was the Sturrock and post Sturrock Championship era for me. I loved that spell in the Championship, particularly the first couple of seasons. Big crowds, historic clubs, great away days. Looking forward to it again soon, I hope

Nov 18, 2011
I was just a little too young to fully appreciate the good Shilton side although I did start going to Home Park at this time. For me it was the beginning of the 2007/08 season with Holloway in charge and some seriously talented players at the club like Halmosi, Buzsaky, Norris, SEB and Nalis.

The house of cards soon started tumbling after Hollowords left but for a brief period it was really exciting and it felt like we had a shot at the Premier League. If I had to pinpoint a moment, it was after the 2-1 win away at Charlton, felt like at least a couple of thousand Green Army at the Valley that day.

Reactions: saxman
Aug 8, 2013
The standard of football in the lower leagues has improved enormously in
recent years, and our play now is often a lot slicker than it was in our championship days,
but in common with many others on this thread, 74-75, with the excitement, the passion,
the smoke, the smell, the noise all around the ground, and the mystique almost of being
in the Devonport End, is as vivid now as when I was 14-15.

Oct 12, 2021
The Mariner and Rafferty season 74/75 promotion season is still my highlight, the 7 _3, win at Bournemouth, 4-3, Boxing day Vs Swindon, the 2-1 Vs Blackburn, the 2-1 Vs Preston with Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles,. I have also enjoyed the FA cup run, and Dave Smith promotion along with Paul Sturrock, probably all the times we have done well

Aug 27, 2019
I am in my 60s....as a kid, was converted to be a green at age 7 - wasn't it 1965 when we got to the League Cup semis (lost to Leicester?), great times to be a Green, remember struggling to sleep & being sososo gutted when we lost .....then again in '74 - probably a better team then given the mercurial Mariner/Rafferty combo....
At back of my mind, wasn't it about then that it was reported we drew a crowd of over 100,000 on our travels - somewhere like Sweden or the like - or was that a myth that I swallowed? Anyone know if true & why, when & against who? Or please, confirm I am indeed in fantasy land.....
Much as I have got overly excited every year, I like others believe this is our time - the next Bournemouth - COYGs!!!!