The time of your Argyle life | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The time of your Argyle life

Jan 11, 2016
Some of us have experienced several false dawns over the years but for many fans today this must be the time of their Argyle lives - top of the table, playing good football, unbeaten run, rising attendances, national limelight and acclaim, exciting team, ambitious manager, prudent ownership, great pitch, improved facililties and membership of the Green Army thrown in for free. If it's not right now then when was the time of your Argyle life?

Reactions: NosandLivvie
2001/02 season for me. I'd started in full time work a couple of years before so that meant I had a bit of money where I could fully take advantage of football trips, including lots of visits to new away grounds for the first time. We'd had such dire football in the seasons leading up to it that such a turnaround was a massive but pleasant surprise, and the feeling of turning up on a Saturday fully expecting to win was a real novelty. There seemed to be a real togetherness with that squad and the fans, and hitting 102 points to rub the smile off Joe Kinnear's face to go up as champions was fantastic.

M

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Don't get me wrong: now is great and I'm enjoying it.
Definitely the best from organisation, set up, future prospects etc.
But!: the time of my life was 70's: Waiters, Mariner/Rafferty QPR 0 Argyle 3 etc. etc.
But!: I think that is more about me. I'm now 70, largely retired and laid back. In 1974 I was 23, a student in London, not laid back; things were new, life was fun etc!
So the criteria isn't even. You change, the club changes, the world changes and so there is not really a definitive 'Now is 'it'' moment!

Aug 5, 2015
I agree with Poggles, we are the same vintage. Although there have been a few highlights, I consider myself fortunate to have seen most of the games Rafferty and Mariner played for us. A player of Mariner’s quality doesn’t come around very often. I haven’t seen one since.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Another vote for Waiters era.

Few years younger than Pogles and maybe KG too. Was in my teens at that time, but, loved that unforgettable season.

Making the trip down for the Ipswich game Saturday so I can witness the farewell to our late great striker. PAFC displays are putting something on I think. Wish I could make the Mariner tribute night too, but, other commitments prevent that.

Sep 7, 2006
THE best team I've ever seen in green was that single good season under Shilton (McGovern) but that was a flash in the pan.

Anyone of a certain age will say Waiter's as watching Mariner/Rafferty in their pomp was truly a great time to be alive

That was my first season as a supporter... Possibly peaked too early!

Andy70

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jan 12, 2020
The Mariner Rafferty Dream Season was my best time ....but....after all that time... there's something really special happening right now.

Reactions: Mr J.B. Easten
Feb 8, 2005
Tony Waiters was not the usual manager. His team was not the usual team. He raised the City's awareness of the football club by his fund raising antics. His forward line was the best I have seen at Argyle. We have never had such a pair up front since.

Did I think that we had a chance of getting to the promised land? You bet. By keeping the best and by improving on the rest, I really thought it was possible.

Until we sold Billy Rafferty for a paltry £20,000, and that season I knew Mariner would then follow him out of the Club, and my dreams were shattered forever.

We have come close to that since, but there was never a conviction in my mind that we could seriously make it to the promised land.

I fear that it is now too late and we have missed the boat, but I will be a green forever and will always enjoy watching the team play, regardless of whether we win or lose, it is the taking part that matters.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
You salty old sea dogs 🙄😂😂

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Until we sold Billy Rafferty for a paltry £20,000, and that season I knew Mariner would then follow him out of the Club, and my dreams were shattered forever.
I was in the Hyde Park when I heard that news, it was on Plymouth Sound and the quote was 'To pay for Paul Mariners wages' no one in the pub was happy that night I can tell you.

I heard about Mariner going when we walking back from Eastville after a dire 1-1 draw. When the news came, even though we knew it was happening, to hear he had signed for Ipswich was like a death in the family.

Little did we know he was actually signed by West Ham first. :oops:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
THE best team I've ever seen in green was that single good season under Shilton (McGovern) but that was a flash in the pan.

Anyone of a certain age will say Waiter's as watching Mariner/Rafferty in their pomp was truly a great time to be alive
That’s the best football I’ve seen from Argyle too - Shiltons team.

Dec 18, 2004
Whilst I went to every home game and quite a few away games during the Mariner/Rafferty period and really loved the football along with the 'social' side. However, the most disappointing time for me was in November 2007 as prior to Holloway deserting us, I thought we could easily have made the jump up that year.

Feb 7, 2019
Don't get me wrong: now is great and I'm enjoying it.
Definitely the best from organisation, set up, future prospects etc.
But!: the time of my life was 70's: Waiters, Mariner/Rafferty QPR 0 Argyle 3 etc. etc.
But!: I think that is more about me. I'm now 70, largely retired and laid back. In 1974 I was 23, a student in London, not laid back; things were new, life was fun etc!
So the criteria isn't even. You change, the club changes, the world changes and so there is not really a definitive 'Now is 'it'' moment!
Yes, that about sums it up for me as well.

Although, I have never been so optimistic about the direction the club is on as I am at the moment. We appear to have a man at the helm with a sensible coherent plan and the drive to get the right people in to make it happen in the longer term.

Here's hoping anyway