The Press | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Press

Mar 14, 2009
Pre-season has seen Lowe mentioned one particular thing l’m really excited to witness this season.

Argyle pressing the opposition.

When Lowe first came to the club we often heard we would be a front foot aggressive team without the ball. Apart from Camara’s ability to hunt the ball back last season we haven’t seen this turn over of the ball.

Now we are working on this in pre-season lm excited to witness how this develops. Obviously we need the team shape to be right and to work as a unit.

Other people’s comments last night highlighted how good Camara is at this. For me, he has always been good at this. What he lacked was other people around him to help him out.

Now this has always highlighted my point l make about certain players in certain positions. Imagine if Camara had a player next to him with as much energy to get up and down the pitch as him. And to win the ball back. Before people say it, lm not having a go at Mayor. I think it just highlights Mayor’s strength isn’t to win the ball back. To press the opposition. It’s to dribble with the ball and run at the opposition.

l am wondering how this press will therefore work as effectively as it could of with a similar midfielder to Camara. Lowe though won’t change the system or where Mayor plays.

l think this will be a key tactic to look out for as the season unfolds to how successful Argyle will or won’t be next season. If he gets it to work it could transform us in terms of an attacking side.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pre-season has seen Lowe mentioned one particular thing l’m really excited to witness this season.

Argyle pressing the opposition.

When Lowe first came to the club we often heard we would be a front foot aggressive team without the ball. Apart from Camara’s ability to hunt the ball back last season we haven’t seen this turn over of the ball.

Now we are working on this in pre-season lm excited to witness how this develops. Obviously we need the team shape to be right and to work as a unit.

Other people’s comments last night highlighted how good Camara is at this. For me, he has always been good at this. What he lacked was other people around him to help him out.

Now this has always highlighted my point l make about certain players in certain positions. Imagine if Camara had a player next to him with as much energy to get up and down the pitch as him. And to win the ball back. Before people say it, lm not having a go at Mayor. I think it just highlights Mayor’s strength isn’t to win the ball back. To press the opposition. It’s to dribble with the ball and run at the opposition.

l am wondering how this press will therefore work as effectively as it could have with a similar midfielder to Camara. Lowe though won’t change the system or where Mayor plays.

l think this will be a key tactic to look out for as the season unfolds to how successful Argyle will or won’t be next season. If he gets it to work it could transform us in terms of an attacking side.
I noticed Edwards nipping ahead of an opponent last night and I also think Randell is capable of ‘the press’. I agree that Camara is exceptional at it but he was less successful in the second half of last season. Even he can be caught out by losing the challenge when attempting this manoeuvre. I won’t mention a particular occasion because that’s history now.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I noticed Edwards nipping ahead of an opponent last night and I also think Randell is capable of ‘the press’. I agree that Camara is exceptional at it but he was less successful in the second half of last season. Even he can be caught out by losing the challenge when attempting this manoeuvre. I won’t mention a particular occasion because that’s history now.

You must remember we were playing TWO games a week.....week after week.....even Mr Duracell Bunny will burn out if he is playing say more than 65 minutes per game all the time.....his game mileage must have been pretty high.