The Mayflower side - difficult choices | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Mayflower side - difficult choices

Sep 22, 2020
As a former Mayflower upper seat holder, until the legroom disappeared, i thought i would try the Mayflower terrace seats last night. Oh dear.

The terrace seats legroom was terrific and a great view but as soon as the drizzle came fans were scrabbling back to the privilege seats. Even there the rain came in.

So it appears that unless i want to pay up to £2400 per season for a Pioneer dry seat (£100 per game! so less a ticket at say £25 that's £75 for a meal !!!) or other meal package i have the choice of an upper tier seat in the dry but no legroom or a lower tier seat and risk getting wet. Simply not acceptable after so much money has been spent on the stand.

seems normal fans have been discarded for the privileged few.

Jun 5, 2010
I thought a new roof would've been priority for the mayflower, nice inside, a little ugly on the outside. On tv the roof looks too small for the stand

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Always was surprised when the roof did not cover the whole of the lower stand. Was always going to cause problems.
Did I read somewhere that there is the possibility of fitting a retractable extension on the current roof to alleviate weather problems during games?

Reactions: Greenone 1956

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The roof was extended by 4 metres when the grandstand was redeveloped, that was the maximum it could take without a complete redesign or a cantilever from the rear the take the weight. It's about cost and what the club/Simon Hallett could afford.
At the time of the redevelopment we were told the roof would be extended to the touchline when the two corners (Barn Park and Devonport) are completed to take the weight.

The chance of getting wet is reflected in the cost of a ticket at just £15 compared to £23 in the Lyndhurst.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Far bigger problems in the Upper Mayflower.

The seats are far too close and the concourse is the opposite of Covid friendly.

I believe some hard decisions may have to be made up there.

Reactions: djg145
Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
The roof was extended by 4 metres when the grandstand was redeveloped, that was the maximum it could take without a complete redesign or a cantilever from the rear the take the weight. It's about cost and what the club/Simon Hallett could afford.
At the time of the redevelopment we were told the roof would be extended to the touchline when the two corners (Barn Park and Devonport) are completed to take the weight.

The chance of getting wet is reflected in the cost of a ticket at just £15 compared to £23 in the Lyndhurst.
Exactly. If you don't want to get wet don't sit in an exposed area. There are plenty of other seats.

Reactions: Herts Green
Dec 3, 2005
If rain or just showers are forecast, why not being some wet weather gear with you?
Might be a good product to sell in the shop 😉
Either ponchos or the full wet weather trousers and jacket. No such thing as bad weather, just the attire you wear. ☺️

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Need to be a long poncho so that you don't end up sitting on a wet seat. I haven't sat there yet, but when I do I'll certainly have waterproofs with me. Thick clothing too after August!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Always was surprised when the roof did not cover the whole of the lower stand. Was always going to cause problems.
Did I read somewhere that there is the possibility of fitting a retractable extension on the current roof to alleviate weather problems during games?

Yep, as Postey said the only way the roof can be structurally extended (without a cantilever) is when the corners are done. Which will then provide the support for the roof extension.

I don't think the lower tier thing is a major issue, as ANY lower tier gets wet with even a slight bit of wind. Upper tier legroom/space is something the club is currently looking at.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
We never complained about the rain when standing on the Spion Kop. It had the benefit of keeping your bovril topped up, even though it was cold and weak by the end of the match.
There is quite a large difference between standing in the rain and sitting in the rain. The difference is what my father always referred to as a 'Saltash Catch'

Sep 22, 2020
Exactly. If you don't want to get wet don't sit in an exposed area. There are plenty of other seats.

So after a spend of £8m to £10m, that's your answer? effectively that is saying the Mayflower side is not fit for purpose. This is not a dig at the club as the current chairman did not design the refurb merely funded it. But, after so much spent, the outcome is shocking and a slap in the face for the normal supporters who would like to sit on that side of the ground without wanting an expensive meal!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

So after a spend of £8m to £10m, that's your answer? effectively that is saying the Mayflower side is not fit for purpose. This is not a dig at the club as the current chairman did not design the refurb merely funded it. But, after so much spent, the outcome is shocking and a slap in the face for the normal supporters who would like to sit on that side of the ground without wanting an expensive meal!

It's an unfair criticism, 1) the club did the best with the limited options and funds it had to play with, and 2) pretty much ANY lower tier of any stadium gets wet when it's raining. £8-10m for a grandstand is a very low figure, Wembley cost almost 100x more and lower tier spectators still get wet when it rains.

The picture above shows the roof in its fully closed position. As you can see, it does not cover the pitch and if rain is falling at an angle, some guests in Level 1 seating may get wet. During concerts, if you have standing tickets on the pitch, you will be open to the elements.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
It's also nonsense to say a whole stand is "not fit for purpose", just because you might get rained on once in a while. You'd think people from the Westcountry were used to a bit of rain.

Reactions: metroace