The last time we played Weds at Hillsborough in the FA Cup... an anecdote | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The last time we played Weds at Hillsborough in the FA Cup... an anecdote

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
On the 27th Jan 1967. Argyle chartered the Pilgrim Express to take over a thousand fans up to Sheffield for the match.

It was January, the 3rd round and so the weather was on the chilly side.

Many of the Argyle fans seemed to be scattered around the ground so no real away atmosphere was created, as far as I can remember.

We lost 3 v 0.

On the way back on the train, everything in the buffet car was sold out. As a 13 year old I didn't take to the taste of Brown Ale, even though I drank a couple. The train stopped at Temple Meads (Bristol) for a few minutes and many of us piled off to buy something from the small shop on the platform. The queue was getting shorter but the whistles from the guard were blowing ... I was almost at the front. The train started moving, my mates had the door open for me, then a copper stopped me from jumping on !!

Three of us Argyle fans were stuck on the platform for about six until the (news)paper train came by. There was nowhere to sit inside on the platform, the waiting room was locked. My coat was on the train, it was freezing on that platform.

On arrival at North Road at about 6.30am, I then had to walk to my mates house at Plympton to get my coat and then walk another 7 miles back to my home.

One of the great away days (NOT).

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Correct result, but I do believe it was a season later in 1968
Team ; Dunne, Everett, Sillett, Baird, Neale, Nelson, Piper, Mitten, Peacock, Bickle, Bloomfield, sub, Etheridge
Johnny Hore must have been injured, otherwise Argyle would have won!

Reactions: Tavy Tony
Jun 4, 2015
Ford
On the 27th Jan 1967. Argyle chartered the Pilgrim Express to take over a thousand fans up to Sheffield for the match.

Many of the Argyle fans seemed to be scattered around the ground so no real away atmosphere was created, as far as I can remember.

We lost 3 v 0.

On the way back on the train, everything in the buffet car was sold out. As a 13 year old I didn't take to the taste of Brown Ale, even though I drank a couple. The train stopped at Temple Meads (Bristol) for a few minutes and many of us piled off to buy something from the small shop on the platform. The queue was getting shorter but the whistles from the guard were blowing ... I was almost at the front. The train started moving, my mates had the door open for me, then a copper stopped me from jumping on !!

Three of us Argyle fans were stuck on the platform for about six until the (news)paper train came by. There was nowhere to sit inside on the platform, the waiting room was locked. My coat was on the train, it was freezing on that platform.

On arrival at North Road at about 6.30am, I then had to walk to my mates house at Plympton to get my coat and then walk another 7 miles back to my home.

Bleddy lightweight! LOL. Sounds like the day out from hell.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I saw a game at Hillsborough where they absolutely battered us on the coldest of coldest nights and we won 1-0. Steve Maclean actually scored that night.

Behind me was Ray The Aviator with Karen his wife and we couldn't believe we had won. At the end of the game Ray said 'Exeter have been beaten at home 5-1 or may have been 6-1 which made us warm up .5c. I went to get up and I fell over as my thigh had frozen because I was turned around most of the match.

Going to my hotel in the car I listened to a desperate Danny Wilson raving about how they had smashed us all over the park and we were the luckiest side he'd ever seen. :)

We lost 3 v 0.

This happened to me after the Derby quarter final. I missed the last London train after changing at Grantham and had to spend the night in the waiting room. Coldest night of my life. Then a pitiless BR guard made me buy a new ticket the next morning as mine was out of date.
Despite all that - best away game ever.

Ray the Aviator

♣️ PASALB Member
Sep 15, 2003
Bramley, Hampshire
Behind me was Ray The Aviator with Karen his wife and we couldn't believe we had won. At the end of the game Ray said 'Exeter have been beaten at home 5-1 or may have been 6-1 which made us warm up .5c. I went to get up and I fell over as my thigh had frozen because I was turned around most of the match.
That was the coldest we've ever been anywhere let alone a football match ... after the match we had to sit in the car for 20 minutes to defrost our frozen limbs .. it was utter torture ...

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
That was the coldest we've ever been anywhere let alone a football match ... after the match we had to sit in the car for 20 minutes to defrost our frozen limbs .. it was utter torture ...
I offer an alternative coldest ever at a football match ... Argyle v Bradford City, February 1978. That was freezing.