Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Disturbed by the idea to be honest.

I like the flag sentiment and welcome the Cornish following but the name change suggestion is ludicrous.

Have a day off, please.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
saxman":356ky8bn said:
Lovely to see the flags of the two counties flying side by side but the Club will surely always be Plymouth Argyle.
Just interested, when did the Devon flag appear first? It seems quite a recent thing based upon the Cross of Saint Piran.

It’s fairly recent - definitely in the time I have lived down here. I’d suggest it’s maybe 15-20 years old. It was pretty controversial at the time because those on the eastern side of the county were not at all happy that they were represented by a flag in the Argyle colours.

C

Cheltgreen

WoodsyGreen":2k6ahswt said:
Is there another club in England that draws support from another county as we do from Cornwall? I'm not talking about people from Surrey 'supporting' Man Utd, I mean a club close to a county border that attracts support from its neighbouring county.

I believe (non-league) Chester City's ground actually straddles the England / Wales border, so two countries rather than two counties!

Dec 20, 2011
When I enquired several years ago ,I was told that almost 40% of season ticket holders came from Cornwall!!!

So without the Cornish support, Argyle's income would greatly suffer. ACTUALLY THE SUPPORT FROM PLYMOTHIANS IS RELATIVELY VERY POOR !

KEEP BOTH FLAGS.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":1eiljwhy said:
czdztA0.jpg

Thanks to Chris Errington for the photo.

These flagpoles (and all that entails) have been gifted by an Argyle fan who no longer lives in the area. At a great cost I might add.

Great to see in my book and it does make me think whether the 'Plymouth' part of our name should be dropped. We ARE the team of Cornwall after all, and we also cover most of Devon don't we?

Most Argyle fans hate our team being called simply 'Plymouth' - So why not go for it properly and officially We are bigger than just one City, we can include TWO. Once again adding to our uniqueness.

:scarf:
:facepalm: Now look what you've started!
I did notice Chris's photo yesterday on FB, and I did say that some of the more delicate Devonian's would have a good moan about it!
My opinion about the name change? And it's Plymouth Argyle, Plymouth Argyle FC. We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

Dec 30, 2020
It's the fact that Argyle are (now literally) flying the flag for an entire region, rather than just a city or county, that gives the club its much vaunted 'potential' - in terms of the fanbase, and the pool of potential players if we can get the youth system humming.

Not sure about a name change but "for Devon and Cornwall" would work well as a nice marketing slogan, or even an addendum to the club badge.

Aug 5, 2015
I think people need to get over themselves. We derive a great deal of support from both Devon and Cornwall why not recognise and celebrate that. I’m Plymouth born and bred but through my Gran am also part Cornish. There’s only one team in Devon though!

Aug 14, 2014
Picked this up from nameberry.com

"The name Argyle is a boy's name of Scottish origin meaning "an Irishman, from the land of the Gaels".

Rename the team PLYMOUTH KERNOW to reflect the Cornish supporter base, another Gaelic/Celtc nation with possibly more relevance to the football club today.

JUST JOKING. Being an older Cornishman a visit to Plymouth was exciting, ferry before bridge, large shopping
centre, Navy Day, even in the summer Tinside was an attraction.

Argyle is tradition and history, is in the blood and to change would be completely unaccetable, but keep the Cornish Flag flying.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Do you think the Isle of Wight has Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth supporters who go to games?

Or is it just Liverpool and Man U like down here? :think:

Plymouth Argaels?? :think:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The OP was very much written with tongue in cheek.

However it would be a way to get people calling us Argyle rather than just ‘Plymouth’.

Also it may wind up the Arsenal plastics in Plymouth who call their ‘second team’ The Arsenal. :wave:

Dec 8, 2019
When local, I was refer to us as Argyle, however, when I'm either abroad or upcountry and a non-westcountry person asks who I support, its always Plymouth.
Most up the liners I have come across all claim to support the big teams (and probably never seen them live) and just stare blankly back when just 'Argyle' is mentioned

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mork":w1vglfof said:
jimsing":w1vglfof said:
Plymouth will NEVER be Cornish.
Actually it is. The border between Devon & Cornwall is the tide line on the Plymouth side of the Tamar.
Now when your crossing the bridge, the welcome to Plymouth sign is (especially at high tide :D ) some 50metres in Cornwall. :greensmile:
You’ll be wanting us to put up the Australian flag next, Mork.
Happy New Year!!!

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
davie nine":3bo2zv9i said:
Mork":3bo2zv9i said:
jimsing":3bo2zv9i said:
Plymouth will NEVER be Cornish.
Actually it is. The border between Devon & Cornwall is the tide line on the Plymouth side of the Tamar.
Now when your crossing the bridge, the welcome to Plymouth sign is (especially at high tide :D ) some 50metres in Cornwall. :greensmile:
You’ll be wanting us to put up the Australian flag next, Mork.
Happy New Year!!!
Happy new year to you Dave! One thing I definitely wont be Doing is pushing the Oz flag on anyone. I'm very much a patriotic ex pat when it comes to it :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
simon1argyle":30xuo86g said:
When local, I was refer to us as Argyle, however, when I'm either abroad or upcountry and a non-westcountry person asks who I support, its always Plymouth.
Most up the liners I have come across all claim to support the big teams (and probably never seen them live) and just stare blankly back when just 'Argyle' is mentioned

I talk a lot of football in the cab and sadly there are a lot of people in Plymouth who say "I'm a Liverpool fan (amongst others but mostly Liverpool)...... but I also go to Argyle." Many claim to even have a season ticket at Home Park.