The Ashes | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Ashes

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
It's a broken system from top to bottom. Most premier divisions within Counties have removed the draw and play win/lose cricket, so there is no emphasis on being able to defend for long periods. Its also removed the necessity for a captain to think or use skill and cunning. A lad from my club has been given a red ball contract by Northants, but they treat him like a leper, all because he can't score runs quickly. He is an old school tough cookie, the sort they should be building a 4 day team around, but for 2/3rds of the county season he is asked to carry drinks and train on his own or with the U18s.
As for the national side what a farce, the ECB is the 2nd wealthiest cricket board, yet ended up with the cheap option as coach. Silverwood is so far out of his depth it's embarrassing, he even tried to argue that selection has been spot on. The sooner he is gone and a strong voice comes in and says what is needed the better, maybe the ECB doesn't want to hear that, but it's the story that needs telling.
I actually think this Aussie side is very ordinary, but we've been so poor, we have made them look like world beaters.

Nov 18, 2011
Have to say I didn’t watch any of The Hundred. Total lack of interest from me.
Oh yeah, I saw a bit of it and couldn't stand it. Still, if a few kids watch it as it's on the BBC and it gets them into proper cricket then The Hundred is not all bad.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
A true story about 'The Hundred' - I know a former county head coach, who helped out with one of the London franchise teams (can't bring myself to remember it's name) he was support to Shane Warne, who turned up 4 days before the first game. On arrival Warne wanted to arrange a practice match, so it was suggested an inter squad game for the next day, Warne decided against it as he was playing golf, the next day was suggested, but again Warne was busy with a sponsor, so the day before their first game it was suggested to try again, this time Warne was playing poker and decided against it, his exacts words were " don't worry we'll just wing it". That is the coaching attitude to the Hundred, no philosophy or practice, let's just fleece it for all its worth. Sadly I don't see it improving, there is no penalty for being the worst team in it.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Australia win the toss and will bat but game delayed due to wet outfield.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Faff around for a 30 minute delay, only to come off for rain after 20 mins. I’m sure that half hour made a massive difference to the outfield. Test cricket doesn’t help itself sometimes.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
8/0 off 4.3 overs rain stopped play.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
50/0 after 20 overs

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
51/1

David Warner c Crawley b Broad 30 (72b 6x4 0x6) SR: 41.66

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
The Hundred did do some things right such as being on free to air TV and giving equal weighting to men's and women's cricket but having this competition alongside a 20-20 one during the summer is just bizarre.

Test cricket was killed by the move from free to air to Sky. Kids didn't watch cricket anymore as it wasn't available to do so and hence haven't taken it up. The talent pool is as small as it's ever been and a number of the players coming through would rather earn their fortunes playing short form cricket (and who can blame them) shrinking the pool further.

The 2005 Ashes could have been the launchpad to Test cricket being the second sport of the country after football but instead it's become a minority sport.

Contrast to Australia and India where test cricket is a protected sport and must be shown on free to air TV.
Hmm, I'd say that was clutching at straws.
The reason why a handful of games were on BB2 is because it became available in the parameters of their measly sports budget. Which says a lot!

Agree with regards to the TV coverage of Test match cricket though.

Nov 18, 2011
Hmm, I'd say that was clutching at straws.
And I'd agree. I tried watching a bit of the Hundred and couldn't stand it, still I feel that a couple of its goals were worthwhile even if on the whole I think it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
15 mins before tea