🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Bury, Macclesfield, (Wigan almost).

The EFL will never have the teeth it needs to sort these messes out until they can be able to remove the golden share from the owners not the club.

Really hope for the Swindon fans and for the football community as a whole this is sorted quickly.

Amazing to think every club survived the pandemic (well so far) but in the last 3 years we've lost 2 clubs (Bury and Macclesfield) and nearly 2 others (Wigan and Swindon) to bad owners.

More and more feels like the EFL would rather clubs go to the wall as its simpler than sorting the mess out.

I know Macclesfield has got to start in the North West Counties Football League what is level 9-10 on the football league pyramid and have got a lot of work to do to get back up the leagues. But what the new owner etc have done since taking over is unreal.

They have done some much needed repairs on the ground, laid a 4G pitch what allow them to welcome local teams, schools and community sports projects to use the pitch. They do a International Academy. They have also opens a bar what is open all year round and are set to open a gym.

It seems like they’ve finally got a owner what wants to take the club forward etc.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
We can't simply blame the EFL. These people had already taken ownership of clubs before it became evident that they would turn out to be bad owners. The EFL doesn't have a crystal ball.
I appreciate I can't just point the finger at the EFL. I was just stating that there is little to nothing they can or will do.

Their position really appears to be wait and hope.

I'm interested to see what comes from a regulator and hopefully they have the ability to separate club and owner

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I know Macclesfield has got to start in the North West Counties Football League what is level 9-10 on the football league pyramid and have got a lot of work to do to get back up the leagues. But what the new owner etc have done since taking over is unreal.

They have done some much needed repairs on the ground, laid a 4G pitch what allow them to welcome local teams, schools and community sports projects to use the pitch. They do a International Academy. They have also opens a bar what is open all year round and are set to open a gym.

It seems like they’ve finally got a owner what wants to take the club forward etc.
Which is great news.

Just a shame the fans had to go through what they did to get there.

Long road back to league football for them.

Reactions: Argyleloyal

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
We can't simply blame the EFL. These people had already taken ownership of clubs before it became evident that they would turn out to be bad owners. The EFL doesn't have a crystal ball.
I think we can. It’s called Due Diligence and the Football League should try it sometime.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I think we can. It’s called Due Diligence and the Football League should try it sometime.
I'm sure they do but hindsight is such a great thing. Who can foresee how things will turn out when a new owner takes over if they have an unblemished past?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I'm sure they do but hindsight is such a great thing. Who can foresee how things will turn out when a new owner takes over if they have an unblemished past?
I suppose it depends on the size of the plain brown envelope.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The thing is… you can talk about due diligence, but if those individuals were the only people willing to save the club then the EFL would be absolutely hammered if they stopped a takeover happening and the club had gone out of business as a result.

I imagine it’s a case of some dodgy owners being given the benefit of the doubt because they are literally the only option and it’s better than nothing. It’s not like there are queues of reputable millionaires lining up to take over these clubs.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Which is great news.

Just a shame the fans had to go through what they did to get there.

Long road back to league football for them.

Yeah it is a shame the fans did have to go through what they did, but from talking to a few they are happy now then they was when the old owner was there

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Cabbie, you didn't need a crystal ball to predict what happened at Bury. A Google search of Steve Dale would have shown you a man who had already bankrupt 30 previous businesses. I won't even go into the disgrace of a human being who ran Blackpool. The EFL and FA haven't been fit for purpose in my lifetime. The diligence banks take out on the average person to get a mortgage is probably far greater than anything the EFL do or have ever done

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cabbie, you didn't need a crystal ball to predict what happened at Bury. A Google search of Steve Dale would have shown you a man who had already bankrupt 30 previous businesses. I won't even go into the disgrace of a human being who ran Blackpool. The EFL and FA haven't been fit for purpose in my lifetime. The diligence banks take out on the average person to get a mortgage is probably far greater than anything the EFL do or have ever done
Owen and Karl Oyston were owners of Blackpool for over 30 years and were fine for most of that time. It would have been difficult back in 1987 for the FL to have then foreseen that they would defraud a co-owner all those years later. As for Steve Dale, the EFL were led to believe that it was him or bust and have admitted that they got that one wrong. Any club struggling to find a buyer despite being up for sale for just a pound should have rang alarm bells for them to look closer.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I was thinking more they allowed Owen Oyston to take full control, even after being convicted of raping a 16 year old girl. They had to agree to the change in shareholding and thought it was perfectly fine.
As for Dale, what support did the EFL give during the early days of his tenure? At what point to they attempt to see the club was being run in a fit and proper way? The answer is of course none, because they themselves haven't got the foggiest idea what they are meant to be doing.

Jun 5, 2021
I understand that at Bury the ownership passed without EFL approval.The only way to ‘sort it out’ would be to give the EFL draconian powers to acquire the club by means of Compulsory Purchase Powers so they have legal powers to enter the premises and take over running the club and sort out compensation to the ‘bad owner’ later. I somehow doubt Parliament would give the EFL such powers!!
Otherwise the EFL will always be catching up and they cannot make a bad owner into a good one. Anyway a block on the transfer of ownership can always be challenged through the Courts.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Presumably, ownership of a National League club puts you below the radar.
King's Lynn owner is and always has been 'dubious'. Just look up Stephen Cleeve.
I know, because I lost money to one of his scams.