Strangest fan you've seen at an Argyle match? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Strangest fan you've seen at an Argyle match?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Noddy for me. When I were a lad I he used to be at the top of the steps at the Barn Park end of the Mayflower stand. This must be late 80's. The endless Green Armies will forever be etched on my mind.

I should add that he wasn't the strangest. I thinks that's a disservice to the man.

My strangest sight was a season or two ago at West Ham who were playing Tottenham. I was sitting immediately in front of three of the fattest people I’ve ever seen, easily 25/30 stone plus. West Ham scored a late winning goal. It was a cold night but they immediately stripped off and did a weird belly bouncing act with each other whilst singing “wibble wobble, jelly wobble, belly wobble, we’ve scored a goal”. It was mesmerising.

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Got to be noddy for me as well. Can remember going to the old Wembley with Torquay United and he was there still in his argyle attire and getting a few strange looks from the Torquay fans

Feb 28, 2016
warney":1sn14j3t said:
The first time I took the (now) missus to a game in the early 90s - might have been a cold afternoon at Oxford as that was close to us at the time - and we found a quiet spot on the away terraces about 15 minutes before kick-off, with most fans talking amongst themselves waiting for things to commence. Suddenly, right behind us, came the ear splitting shout "Green Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy!". The other half jumped out of her skin and threw her coffee everywhere! Needless to say I was more amused than she was!
After that we always made sure we weren't standing too close to Noddy whenever I took her to a match, to save her nerves! What a character he was...

As for strange fans, I always remember the self-styled Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society who would turn up with bits of carpets on their heads at various "hair" related grounds (Wycombe and Barnet were the two I saw them at IIRC).

Sparksy was probably the most famous member of the Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society. IIRC they even got on the telly in a segment with the man himself on his “An Audience With...”

Strange seems an harsh word but if we mean people who stand out from a crowd, Umbrella Vi.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps eccentric would have been a better word. But you know what I mean.

The Del Boy was at Carlise and Hartlepool as well, so I suppose he must be very Northern based.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
MarkMatthews":1htaywzy said:
warney":1htaywzy said:
The first time I took the (now) missus to a game in the early 90s - might have been a cold afternoon at Oxford as that was close to us at the time - and we found a quiet spot on the away terraces about 15 minutes before kick-off, with most fans talking amongst themselves waiting for things to commence. Suddenly, right behind us, came the ear splitting shout "Green Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy!". The other half jumped out of her skin and threw her coffee everywhere! Needless to say I was more amused than she was!
After that we always made sure we weren't standing too close to Noddy whenever I took her to a match, to save her nerves! What a character he was...

As for strange fans, I always remember the self-styled Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society who would turn up with bits of carpets on their heads at various "hair" related grounds (Wycombe and Barnet were the two I saw them at IIRC).

Sparksy was probably the most famous member of the Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society. IIRC they even got on the telly in a segment with the man himself on his “An Audience With...”

Strange seems an harsh word but if we mean people who stand out from a crowd, Umbrella Vi.
Funny I was thinking the same as you say not so much strange but a character in Herself. Never forget Her whacking me with her brolly whilst climbing the Lyndhurst fence on that famous day when we clinched promotion.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Peterborough away 74/5

Amidst all the shenanigans me and few others decided to stand on the popular side in amongst the Posh fans....

They had the top to tail curly turnstiles and about an hour before kickoff the Posh lad turns up and starts to squirm his way through the bars....after about ten minutes he was tightly wedged and couldn't go forward or back...more or less self way up like a scientific sample held in suspended animation

The face on the turnstile operator when he turned up to open the gate was a picture. They managed to lever him out whilst he protested he had done it loads of times and never got stuck.

Led away by a copper and we didn't see him again.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I saw an Argyle fan wheeling a giant cheese down the road that day. Now that WAS strange.

Mar 20, 2008
Odd sight at a Tuesday night home match on 11/09/2001 (funny I should remember the date of the game) With 3 sides of home park demolished there was a fan watching from the Lyndhurst side of the ground up a tree. He was perfectly illuminated by the floodlights and wearing the previous seasons pinstripe home kit - made for a really odd sight from the cramped Mayflower terrace

Aug 27, 2019
Back in the 70s, I remember being unusually early for a home game, I think Wimbledon......me & a mate in suits resting on a stanchion as you did in those days. A family of 4 in denim jackets, jeans & DM boots walked past eating pasties. All were Dick Emery dressed alike.
My mate made a comment about the forthcoming game & I laughed aloud.....the youngest (& nearest) of the family turned & walked up to us before snarling...'who you laughing at you posh w@@kers'.
He was all of 6 years old! His brother 8 or 10. Mum & Dad just carried on walking.

With apologies of course if anyone recognises themselves!!

Never saw him or his family again though don't normally get to the ground much before 10 mins before - probably unwittingly scared!

Separately, living in Yorkshire (early 80s) & going a few times to York City - there was someone who regularly turned up at Bootham Crescent on a pennyfarthing......he went straight to the ground from a tourist driven role I believe.

Aug 13, 2009
I remember one home game stood near Noddy at the Barn Park End of the Mayflower terrace. Argyle scored and Noddy, in his celebrations, lost his footing and rolled comically down the terrace and into the walkway separating the Mayflower from the Barn Park. Upon landing he promptly stood up and let out a resounding “Green Army!”
Cue laughter from everybody around.