Strangest fan you've seen at an Argyle match? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Strangest fan you've seen at an Argyle match?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I nicked this idea from a Football in the 80's site on FB.

I can remember seeing a chap at Notts Forest back in the 90's (FA Cup game) that looked very 'intense' and banged his tambourine for the whole 90 minutes. Never seen him before and never again.

Dec 4, 2011
Not necessarily strange but more like a typical British eccentric.

I used to work with a guy who supported Carlisle. I went to a few London away games with him and there was a fan who had made himself a suit out of curtains from the club shop!

Doesn’t quite answer your post but I’m sure he would have made it to Home Park a few times.

Sep 3, 2009
‘We love YOU, Argyle, WE do!’

Bless Noddy. Don’t know about ‘strangest’ but perhaps the one that stands out the most.

Anyone non-Argyle I ever took to an away game never forgot him.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
during dave smiths time,kevin hodges as a player for example,elm park reading 4 argyle 3 after us being 3-0 up,a bloke in our end on his way back from london to plymouth for christmas,a classical musician with a double bass.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Rush Goalie":1jmuf51j said:
‘We love YOU, Argyle, WE do!’

Bless Noddy. Don’t know about ‘strangest’ but perhaps the one that stands out the most.

Anyone non-Argyle I ever took to an away game never forgot him.

I’m pretty certain he was on the coach for my very first Argyle away match at Oldham in 76. Very friendly reception at their supporters club, which lulled us into a false sense of security when we subsequently got ambushed on the way back to our coaches at the FA cup tie the following January!

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Old bloke on the massive old away terrace at Roots Hall at the 0-0 draw in the 1st Round of that amazing cup run. He was drunk as a skunk ringing a bell & singing:
'Play up Pompey, Pompey play up'
I said to him 'mate this is Plymouth not Portsmouth' & he said 'is it' & promptly left. :funny:

Jul 14, 2008
Forest of Dean Green":2akckgti said:
I recall a chap at an away game not too long ago walking up and down in a full on Del Boy style outfit with Del Boy mask. Never figured out why.

I remember seeing that guy a while ago, maybe at Mansfield three or four years ago? He kept walking around the front of the stand by himself - he was even carrying a cocktail with him that the steward checked to see whether it was actually alcohol! Obviously one of life’s eccentrics

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
German Shepherd":d12qmmvo said:
Old bloke on the massive old away terrace at Roots Hall at the 0-0 draw in the 1st Round of that amazing cup run. He was drunk as a skunk ringing a bell & singing:
I said to him 'mate this is Plymouth not Portsmouth' & he said 'is it' & promptly left. :funny:

:funny:

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
The first time I took the (now) missus to a game in the early 90s - might have been a cold afternoon at Oxford as that was close to us at the time - and we found a quiet spot on the away terraces about 15 minutes before kick-off, with most fans talking amongst themselves waiting for things to commence. Suddenly, right behind us, came the ear splitting shout "Green Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy!". The other half jumped out of her skin and threw her coffee everywhere! Needless to say I was more amused than she was!
After that we always made sure we weren't standing too close to Noddy whenever I took her to a match, to save her nerves! What a character he was...

As for strange fans, I always remember the self-styled Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society who would turn up with bits of carpets on their heads at various "hair" related grounds (Wycombe and Barnet were the two I saw them at IIRC).

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
German Shepherd":1yowu9ng said:

…which reminds me of a works social event that I attended in London in the 80s. I got chatting to this random bloke and, of course, the subject of football came up. On revealing my allegiance to Plymouth Argyle the guy said, ‘Oh yeah? I’ve been to Plymouth.’ Sensing a looming commonality, I said, ‘Really?’
‘Yeah, I drove to Plymouth once to catch the Isle of Wight ferry.’
‘I don’t think so, the Isle of Wight ferry doesn’t go from Plymouth.’
‘Yes it does’ he maintained, confidently ‘“Plymouth”’
I'd lived and worked in the capital for a year or two by then. As such, I was well used to the jaw-dropping geographical ignorance of many Londoners relating to any other parts of the UK. Cutting him some slack and ignoring the slight, I patiently corrected him. 'No, if you were catching the Isle of Wight ferry you must have gone to Portsmouth.’ His response was, ‘Well, Plymouth, Portsmouth - it’s all the same, innit? Both start with the same letter and have stuff to do with sailors, don’t they?’
I made my excuses and went to speak to someone else. :doh:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Herts_Green":2ar0qzku said:
Forest of Dean Green":2ar0qzku said:
I recall a chap at an away game not too long ago walking up and down in a full on Del Boy style outfit with Del Boy mask. Never figured out why.

I remember seeing that guy a while ago, maybe at Mansfield three or four years ago? He kept walking around the front of the stand by himself - he was even carrying a cocktail with him that the steward checked to see whether it was actually alcohol! Obviously one of life’s eccentrics

I reckon that was Steve Magner. He was an early member of PASALB. I've seen him wear that a couple of times.(I don't know why either !)