Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Sir Clive Sinclair. Brought the computer into the home. RIP.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The quintessential British boffin: brilliant, mad as a hatter, and lost all his money on crack-pot ideas.

In my mum's eyes, I wasted my formative years in the 80s playing on my ZX81 and then ZX Spectrum computers.

But she didn't understand the importance of Chuckie Egg, Jet Pac, Manic Miner and Elite.

Vale, Sir Clive.

Reactions: GreenThing and Emu

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
At my school (Haygrove in Bridgwater) a group of us along with the physics teacher Mr Shaw and a technician held discos in the school physics class every Thursday lunchtime to raise money to buy a Sinclair ZX80 in kit form. I remember that my father made us a big sign that looked like a ZX80 that we put up and we shaded in the keys as we got closer to the total. In the end we raised enough money to buy two and the technician built them with us watching on and we could then borrow them to learn the basic of coding (he also built a UK101 from a kit which was really impressive to watch). I learned the basics of programming on a ZX80 before graduating to a ZX81 (presumably also borrowed from school) and then, finally I got a BBC Micro Model A (I remember I ordered this pretty much on the day it was launched and had to wait over a year for it to arrive - imagine that happening these days). I went on to do a lot of programming in my work (in BASIC, Fortran, Pascal, Visual Basic and, more recently, MATLAB) writing data logging software and computer models for my MSc and PhD and subsequent research. So, in a very direct way, Sir Clive Sinclair was a major part of how my life/career has unfolded.

I look back very, very fondly to those early days when I spent my time typing in code from magazines, debugging programmes and working how to get a computer to do what you want it to. To be honest, I'd give quite a lot to go back to that time and, with hindsight, I should probably have gone into software engineering or something similar rather than become a scientist/academic.

Aug 5, 2015
I remember in a former office, we all had desk tops but still wrote memos and letters for the secretary to type. This was only mid to late 80s

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I remember in a former office, we all had desk tops but still wrote memos and letters for the secretary to type. This was only mid to late 80s
I often think about how massive the transformation in technology and the impact this has had on working and home life has been since the early 1990s (when I began my career). At that point we had clunky desktop PCs running word processing software like Wordperfect. Spreadsheets were not really used except for in finance. There were mostly no graphical user interfaces (like Windows). Programs came on floppy disks. We hardly used email and there was hardly an internet to speak of. If you wanted to read a book or academic paper you got a paper copy out of the library. That was only 30 years ago. Someone starting off in my career now would simply not recognize he way we worked and they would probably have no idea how to do anything, even thought the things we could do seem almost insignificant compared to what is possible now. I do actually feel blessed to have been in my teens/20s through the start of that transition (in a similar way that a kid who grew up as the Harry Potter books were coming out got to experience them in a way that no-one else could). Clive Sinclair was right in the sweet spot of this revolution.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
See Spurs have announce the passing of Jimmy Greaves saw him play a few times want a great goal scorer he was. My dad always talks about him making his debut fo Spurs at home park when he returned from Italy

Last edited:

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Sad news. A great player. He had a great rapport with Ian St John on the Saint and Greavesy show. RIP Jimmy.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
John Challis who played Boycie in Only Fools And Horses has sadly passed away