Special buses for home matches | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Special buses for home matches

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Target Travel (now out of business) provided a popular service for supporters from Plympton, Plymstock and Southway.
It would be great to think that something could be organised with another local bus company.
I remember at one of the first meetings about the club’s desperate financial position in 2009, someone asked about the special buses.
It would be interesting to know what level of interest there would be for the coming season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Target lost loads of money on those buses Ian. Despite saying they'd accept donations from the card carrying pensioners they used to pick up peanuts in the supplied drop trays.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I don’t recall ever being asked to put cash in a ‘drop tray’. I, certainly, used my bus pass as I assumed that Target received a subsidy but if, for example, there was a fixed price for all users there could be enough interest to ‘give it a go’.
No replies, other than yours, so I guess there is little interest.

Feb 25, 2008
Crownhill
I remember paying £2 each from Crownhill but the service was so unreliable that on 2 or 3 occasions we had to flag down a taxi to get to the match on time. They had a supposed timetable but they never kept to it.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Dennis that is probably as it was... and unreliable as you say......but Target were running this service at a loss...maybe as a favour to Argyle...no bus service would ever take that on nowadays....

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
There are plenty on this site alone that would baulk at having to pay two quid.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Maybe a car share thing could work. If there were 10 people catching the bus from Plympton, surely there will be enough people driving from Plympton who could fill a spare seat. It wouldn’t take much organisation.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
None of those are football specials though which was the kind of service that the OP was hoping might run again. You know, the ones that take you straight to the ground and are then waiting outside for you at the end of the game rather than having to take two buses each way. But you knew that, right?

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Back in the Administation period the Plymouth Branch of the Argyle Supporters Ass'n took over paying for the "free" buses.

We asked for contributions but lost loads of money.

Jan 2, 2019
It’s a shame nobody has taken over the service especially for night games because in Plympton the evening bus time table is stuck in the 1920’s. I know they ran at a loss but maybe if they made everyone pay.

Feb 28, 2016
Why would they? Anyone who touches it no longer exists.
Didn’t CityBus do them before Target from about 2009? Granted they have since been privatised so technically a different organisation. IIRC they (CityBus) went through a phase of making everyone pay and all the bus pass holders were up in arms before the supporters club started subsidising them? Unfortunately it seems they aren’t profitable and many of those who used them weren’t prepared to pay. It’s a shame as it was a really useful service but hardly one that contributed to higher attendances so not really worth anyone subsidising.