Simon Walton interview

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A video interview with Simon Walton is well worth a watch. Some great stories about his sour relationship with Paul Sturrock, Mpenza and Bolasie, administration and how close the club came to being liquidated, the bond between players and fans, players giving money to staff, the Jamie Mackie QPR transfer fee and Walton taking a pay cut.

You Tube video 1 hour 16 minutes, the most interesting stories are about half way through.

One word of warning. The language is 'adult' on a few occasions.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Before i watch the interview, i would say he received way too much abuse from Argyle fans.

I was lucky enough to spend half an hour in his company a few seasons back when he returned with Crawley, he couldn't have been more gracious with his time or the answers he gave.
His physique (a bit like Sarce) always indicated he was carrying a bit of extra timber, but i think he was just a solidly built guy, he tried hard for us, went unpaid for months (never fully got all of what he was entitled too) - and despite having to play with kids, waifs and strays often got dogs abuse for his performances. Which were never that bad.
He was a good player handicapped by expectation and a couple of really serious injuries, but in all he tried hard in our darkest hour when unpaid, for that alone he will be warmly remembered by me.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Voice_of_Reason":2xxincgf said:
Before i watch the interview, i would say he received way too much abuse from Argyle fans.

I was lucky enough to spend half an hour in his company a few seasons back when he returned with Crawley, he couldn't have been more gracious with his time or the answers he gave.
His physique (a bit like Sarce) always indicated he was carrying a bit of extra timber, but i think he was just a solidly built guy, he tried hard for us, went unpaid for months (never fully got all of what he was entitled too) - and despite having to play with kids, waifs and strays often got dogs abuse for his performances. Which were never that bad.
He was a good player handicapped by expectation and a couple of really serious injuries, but in all he tried hard in our darkest hour when unpaid, for that alone he will be warmly remembered by me.
Aaah! I see where your username comes from now.

Dec 29, 2011
Not his fault Luggy gave him a 4 year contract .Have seen him on a few occaions in recent years playing for various non league clubs.Always gives 100%.Anybody who played through admin and post admin, will never receive any criticism from me

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
For someone so experienced. cynical and scarred by football, to speak so highly of the club and people is pretty good... 'what a club' :greensmile:

Echoes what others have said about the club never being more united than during admin. He doesn't really say a bad word about Argyle, though Luggy is described as 'evil' at one point :shocked:

If he thinks we were a good club in 2009, then it bodes pretty well for how players would see us in 2020.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I met him once when I presented him with the man of the match award, when PASOTI was the match sponsor.

What a thoroughly decent and humble chap he was.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I tend not to get pally with any players, but I did a bit with Walts.

You won't meet a nicer and more down to earth bloke.

Good to see he's still telling it as it is.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Still only 32 :shock:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
TBH I don't think I'll bother sitting thru' the interview - when I saw the name I immediately rolled my eyes and groaned. But time does give a better perspective and the comments above are interesting and valid. It wasn't his fault he was given a lucrative 4 year contract. It wasn't his fault we pushed the boat out for him - much further out than was safe. It wasn't his fault it went t1ts up and he became an unaffordable burden. But he didn't help himself - some truly stupid red cards at vital times when we needed leadership from senior players. Looking back though - maybe it was frustration - it must have been hard for him and he wasn't exactly a world beater and in a club falling apart.

Dark times indeed. It still makes me shudder - but as others have said it's unfair to lay any blame at his door and he did stick around and tried to do his bit even if well paid for it.

Wexford Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
✅ Evergreen
Jan 20, 2005
Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland
I thought he gave a well balanced opinion of his time at Argyle and by the end of it you realised you couldn't dislike him. Seems a really decent sort of chap and quite insightful on some of the goings on in the club during that dark period of our history.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Was well worth a watch. I disagreed with his attitude at some points in the early parts of the interview, but as mentioned above his actions during admin speak louder than any innuendo and circumstance before that. Fair play to him, and in my books would always get a warm welcome back to HP.

Jan 21, 2007
Never liked him as a player, even during administration, and even when he was captain and taking penalties ... looked out of his depth when we were in the Championship, average at best as we slipped down the divisions ... i’m going to watch the interview now and see if my opinion changes ...

Jan 21, 2007
Nope, still meh at best about him ... started almost every transfer story with “I couldn’t wait to get out” ... progressed to “I was so excited to be going there, but for one reason or another it didn’t work out”.

If anything, his horror injury when he went on loan to Sheffield United probably humbled him when he realised that Argyle offered him the only chance to earn a decent income out of football for the following two years; and he did turn the corner a bit. Hats off to him for donating to the staff during administration :clap:

He gets a lot of dates, seasons, and players muddled up, but then again, he must have played with hundreds of players over the years.

I must admit, I’ve really liked at least 50% of the players who have played for Argyle over the last 20 years or so, and purposely followed their careers beyond Argyle. 30% of the rest i’m not that bothered about either way, and the final 20% i’m glad they moved on ...