Ryan Broom - £500k fee | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ryan Broom - £500k fee

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
As someone at the match, I agree that Broom ran around a lot, I’m not sure what else he did or achieved.
I really hope he has a blinder at Doncaster but fear another afternoon of scurrying. Still for some, running around a lot = great game.

Aug 15, 2015
I really hope he has a blinder at Doncaster but fear another afternoon of scurrying. Still for some, running around a lot = great game.
And what's the alternative? You ask what Broom did but you don't question what Mayor does? What did Mayor do at Sheffield Wednesday? For the highest paid player in our squad, he's not even near to being one of our highest performers. So what are you saying? You have an obviously better alternative or?

Aug 5, 2016
Like I said to Steve please list the incidents where he did something influencial?
His goals to minutes ratio creeps ever into deficit and is starting to make Mayor look like some sort of goal machine by comparison (since you mentioned him).
You must let me know what part of Dartmoor you and Steve are picking up your truffles from though
🤯
Mayor the goal machine, what has he got, about 3 goals in three seasons?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Mayor the goal machine, what has he got, about 3 goals in three seasons?
Im talking minutes per goal this season.
Mayor currently on 384 mins per goal
Broom on 638 mins per goal.
If you swapped that stupid Bolton goal between the two, which could easily have been the case you'd be looking at
Mayor on 256 per goal and Broom lagging some distance behind on 957.5 per goal (1 goal in every 10 games)

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
They are two different players.

One is a skilful winger. The other is a energetic attacking, central midfielder.

We should get both in the team. But somehow we created a situation of them competing for the same spot. Even though their attributes are different.

Crazy. No reason in a 4-3-3 Mayor couldn’t play LW and Broom as one of the CM’s for example.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
They are two different players.

One is a skilful winger. The other is a energetic attacking, central midfielder.

We should get both in the team. But somehow we created a situation of them competing for the same spot. Even though their attributes are different.

Crazy. No reason in a 4-3-3 Mayor couldn’t play LW and Broom as one of the CM’s for example.
4-3-3? The club's whole philosophy is 3-5-2 right through the age groups is it not? Why would they change that to accommodate these 2 in the same team?

Reactions: David Doidge

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Maybe it's worth trying....3-5-2 is not working anymore is it?..
It is the stated way of playing. Personally I feel it better to find the players who fit the system and can do the wing back role better rather than change the system to accommodate a square peg in a round hole.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
We have been wide open for 2 and a half seasons now, playing 3 ATB. Apart from the early part of this season, when Galloway was playing, our ability to be opened up like a can of beans has been painfully obvious. Even in League 2, people still refer back to the Mansfield game at home, when we should have been 0-4 down at half-time. Other examples spring to mind like Northampton away, and obviously Exeter away. Even when we eventually win games by a relatively convincing scoreline, we cough up enough chances for the opposition for them to have got something out of it- our conceding of very good chances on goal (and one on ones especially) must be one of the highest in the division in each of the last 3 seasons, even when we ended up 3rd in the curtailed promotion season!
Yes, the personnel have changed but the problem has returned with a vengeance- Wednesday could have had 10 at Hillsbrough recently, and we need to look at changing the system, and not leaving so much wide open space behind our wing-backs.
I think Scarr, Wilson and Bolton (possibly) are good defenders, so can we play them in a system where they can face and defend the direction we are playing, rather than forever being pulled left and right to cover raiding opposition attacks into acres of green space?
The argument about it being 3 ATB across all the age groups is almost illogical. The first team has to be the priority and if the system isn't working in the first team then the system has to change- for the first team. By the time anyone from our existing youth team makes the first team, the system will probably have been changed by a new manager anyway, so what's the point of coaching all the youth team into the first team's way of playing?! For the Papa John's Trophy? Really?
It certainly won't cure all our current ills but I would like to see Schuey change the formation, even if it's just to demonstrate that he's his own man. I haven't seen much evidence of that yet, to be brutally honest.

If I was picking the team for Saturday (and assuming everyone bar George Cooper is fit) I would play 4-3-3 and go with the following;

Cooper

Edwards
Scarr
Wilson
Grant

Houghton
Randell
Camara

Garrick
Jephcott or Ennis
Mayor

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I'd be inclined to give Ryan Law a decent run of games at left wing-back. It just feels like he is a more natural wing-back than Conor Grant, bombing up and down the flank. He ought to be better at the defensive duties (he started off as a full-back didn't he?) and he's already shown in his few substitute appearances that he can get forward quickly and has an eye for the goal. I think we could then add Conor Grant to the list of players competing for the attacking midfield positions. We tend to think of him as being more defensive but he has done some of his best work in the space behind the forwards.

Then I would like to see a similar, more dynamic, type of player replacing Joe Edwards on the right. In the current squad that is probably Jordon Garrick although I remain to be convinced that he can really do the defensive side of things well. He certainly has the necessary speed and athleticism (if he can ditch his new-found habit of pushing opposition players to pick up completely unnecessary bookings that is). We could then add Joe Edwards to the list of players competing for positions in midfield - either the defensive position that he was originally brought in to fill or maybe the attacking ones although I don't really see him playing there.

I think that having two more dynamic/quicker wingbacks would balance the team better - Law and Garrick are the obvious options with the current squad.