Not open for further replies.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Devongreenowl":1j1oh8p8 said:
Knibbsworth":1j1oh8p8 said:
davie nine":1j1oh8p8 said:
We may not be interested now we are in League 1. I’d rather we signed Nicky Maynard if we are going for an experienced striker.

What would that be based on?

I would back Tug on that. Pitman always looks overweight despite his obvious quality in front of goal.
Tug?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
davie nine":15yxxpnu said:
Devongreenowl":15yxxpnu said:
Knibbsworth":15yxxpnu said:
davie nine":15yxxpnu said:
We may not be interested now we are in League 1. I’d rather we signed Nicky Maynard if we are going for an experienced striker.

I would back Tug on that. Pitman always looks overweight despite his obvious quality in front of goal.
Tug?

Don’t back me, I’m a three legged Horse equivalent.

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":ilyqay6a said:
Knibbsworth":ilyqay6a said:
davie nine":ilyqay6a said:

Based on my opinion that Nicky Maynard would fit better into RL’s system than Pitman, that’s all.

Has anyone seen much of either of them recently?

DGO's comment about Pitman being overweight means little to me after so many people criticised Sarcevic for carrying too much pudding and being lazy. At the same time stats confirmed he had done more running than anyone else on the pitch.

I don't think Maynard took penalties for Mansfield, so if he inherits Sarce's duties we could be looking at a 20+ goal striker. But I would back a fit and firing Pitman to score as well.

I trust Lowe will get the best out of either of them, IF we can afford either of them. As to who he would prefer if given the choice, I wouldn't like to say. I think the only reason we got Hardie over Pitman in January was because the latter was almost unaffordable for a club of our size. If he drops his wage demands to realistic, post-COVID prices, Lowe might well be keen for Pitman again.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":3gfr2w3e said:
davie nine":3gfr2w3e said:
Knibbsworth":3gfr2w3e said:
davie nine":3gfr2w3e said:

Based on my opinion that Nicky Maynard would fit better into RL’s system than Pitman, that’s all.

Has anyone seen much of either of them recently?

DGO's comment about Pitman being overweight means little to me after so many people criticised Sarcevic for carrying too much pudding and being lazy. At the same time stats confirmed he had done more running than anyone else on the pitch.

I don't think Maynard took penalties for Mansfield, so if he inherits Sarce's duties we could be looking at a 20+ goal striker. But I would back a fit and firing Pitman to score as well.

I trust Lowe will get the best out of either of them, IF we can afford either of them. As to who he would prefer if given the choice, I wouldn't like to say. I think the only reason we got Hardie over Pitman in January was because the latter was almost unaffordable for a club of our size. If he drops his wage demands to realistic, post-COVID prices, Lowe might well be keen for Pitman again.

Surely, it would be Maynard every time. Pitman only figured in 10 or 11 games for Pompey this season and I remember when he was linked before, the opinion on their forums was that he could go.

Maynard is more mobile imo and we would probably get more games out of him.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I note Brett Pitman is just over 12 months younger than Maynard. If a length of contract is critical in signing negotiations that extra 'youth' might be critical, given the youngest is already 32 years and 6 months old [next week]

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
If Ryan Lowe has the choice of either and for similar terms, I’d be confident he would sign Maynard rather than Pitman. Lowe was a striker and HE looks more match ready than Pitman does at 41 years of age!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
greensalt":i3k9249o said:
macleanie":i3k9249o said:
oldage":i3k9249o said:
Martyn":i3k9249o said:
I would prefer a very good Ryan Hardie, to a 33 year old
Absolutely. Hardie would be the one player I would love us to sign.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Hardie was a top player too but I think Hallett would prefer Maynard as he's a free agent and would only command signing on and agent fee's whereas Hardie would require that and no doubt a transfer fee as he's under contract and young with potential. I can't imagine Maynards wages are cheap but he'll be much more affordable.

He's been in great scoring form the past couple years and is currently joint second in the scoring charts in League 2 with 14 this season.

Hardie would be a far better investment in the long run. If he joined us and develops as I expect him to, he could be worth a lot of money in a couple years time.

Blackpool fans talking about their players being faced with 60% wage cuts on their site....

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":3ab632eo said:
If Ryan Lowe has the choice of either and for similar terms, I’d be confident he would sign Maynard rather than Pitman. Lowe was a striker and HE looks more match ready than Pitman does at 41 years of age!

On your visual scale, how match fit does Akinfenwa 'look'?

38 years of age, 16 stone.

Signed for Wycombe aged 34 and has scored 46 goals in 119 starts and 33 bench appearances.

He scored 10 goals in League One the season gone from 19 starts. How did Dom Telford or Zak Rudden do with their superior 6 packs and lower body fat percentage?

Pitman is a proven, repeated 20+ goal a season striker. There aren't many of them about, and if it wasn't a difficult thing to do, then more would be doing it. The amount of games Argyle left ruing missed chances last season was staggering. Until Jephcott and Hardie started converting some, we looked like we may have missed out on promotion due to it. With someone like Pitman he might have scored 30.

Either way turning him down because he looks a bit podgy seems stupid to me. When has he ever looked as lean as a greyhound? Nevermind the fact it is pre-season, which is a stupid time to not sign someone because they don't look match fit.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Exactly. I seem to remember Sylvan Ebanks-Blake carried plenty of weight on him. Nevertheless he scored one in every three games and was well missed by Argyle when he moved on. at the end of the day the proof of a striker's value is the number of goals he scores, or the number of assists he provides, not his body weight percentage.

Apr 4, 2004
Devongreenowl":3vzfzq1j said:
Absolutely spot on. Maynard looked very sprightly at home park for Mansfield. I like pitman but he'd be a risk. I don't see us needing anyone not able to get themselves fighting fit a ready to run for 90 minutes. Not sure Pitman is the guy to do that.

Jul 12, 2016
Doesn't matter how big ,small, tall or overweight a striker is.
The essential criteria is that he has a natural instinct to score goals. Akinfenwa has it, Hardie has it . Pitman has it. Maynard has it. I wouldn't say no to signing any of them

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
If some want us to take a player that Pompey sent to Bournemouth to train with their U23's back in Feb. then that’s fine. They obviously didn’t think he was any use to them in L1. Loved the comparison with Akinfenwa though. They have such similar styles :funny:

I’ll stick with my preferred choice of Maynard thanks. I think Ryan Lowe would prefer somebody who can get about the last third with some pace, but who knows. He might not want to come down this far west.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
On 13 July 2017, Pitman signed a three-year deal with League One club, Portsmouth

so Pitman is a free agent as of July 13 2020, and Maynard is a free agent as well.

Pitman scored 42 goals in 99 appearances in the last 3 years all in League 1

Maynard scored 34 goals in 86 appearances in the last 3 years (0 goals in 20 games in Scot premier and 34 goals in League 2)

Maynard will be 34 in Dec, Pitman will be 33 in Jan 2021

Maynard is 5" 11", Pitman is 6' 0"

The stats to me say Pitman is the better scorer, only doubt is why did he only play 16 games last season

Status
Not open for further replies.