RIP Paul Mariner

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Very sad news.

A fantastic player who I watched in my teens, I consider it an honour to have seen him in an Argyle shirt.

RIP Paul Mariner

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
RIP Argyle legend.

I can remember when he signed, I was on HMS Hermes and one of my messmates was from Chorley.

I told him who Argyle had signed...he was at school with Paul Mariner and was a Chorley Town supporter.

He proceeded to give me an hour long "lecture" and the strengths (no weaknesses) of Paul Mariner.

Paul, and Billy Rafferty were probably the best striking partnership I have ever seen at Argyle.

This room has very suddenly become very smokey! :cry:

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Due to my age, i sadly didn't see him in an Argyle shirt, although felt as though i did as it was all my dad would talk about.

I was however raised about 15 miles from Portman Road and got taken to see him from 79-82, i'm sure the only reason we went was so my old man could tell every man and his dog, this guy use to play for Argyle. He stood at even at that level surrounded by some of the best footballers of the era.

A sad loss to football in general, a proper number 9.

If there is another life, i guarantee my old man will be waiting for him with a pint of beer ready to talk about the halcyon days of Rafferty and Mariner.

RIP

Jul 6, 2011
Incredibly sad news, he was the star of the show at my very first argyle match. Best player I ever saw.
R.I.P. Paul

Feb 8, 2005
I cannot believe that the best all round no 9, by far, that Argyle have ever had, has departed this world so soon. I hope, sincerely, that his chosen career did not help bring about his downfall.

I feel for his family, and friends, and everyone who has seen him play in green.

For those of us that saw him play, we knew he was going to be an international, he was by far head and shoulders above players at our level, and of that above.

His partnership with Billy was exceptional, they complemented each other magnificently, with Billy blasting the ball into the back of the net and Paul curling the ball around the keeper, it was certainly good to watch, and we knew we had to make the most of him while he was still with us.

He naturally moved on to bigger and better things, eventually playing for his country, not just once, but as a regular, as we all knew he would do.

I like to think that Argyle had some input into making him into the footballer that he became, but he was always likely to make it, whether he had been with us or not, we were just a stepping stone in his career, but all that saw him play will have special, special memories of his time with us, and he returned on more than one occasion to show how he felt about the club that took him out of non-league and introduced him into the beginning of his illustrious career in the Football League and beyond.

Gone, but you will never be forgotten. It was an honour to see you play in green.

R.I.P. Paul

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Very sad news indeed. With Paul on the pitch, Argyle had a striking urgency and power that has never been replicated since.
Just after he originally signed, I can recall him coming down to Penzance on a summer's evening to play a friendly versus The Magpies. I remember him rising 'like a salmon' to head a goal that was repeated time and again in subsequent years against top teams in the English Leagues and also internationally. It is a shame that he has departed us at quite a young age.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
jimsing":2jpynizo said:
I cannot believe that the best all round no 9, by far, that Argyle have ever had, has departed this world so soon. I hope, sincerely, that his chosen career did not help bring about his downfall.

I feel for his family, and friends, and everyone who has seen him play in green.

For those of us that saw him play, we knew he was going to be an international, he was by far head and shoulders above players at our level, and of that above.

His partnership with Billy was exceptional, they complemented each other magnificently, with Billy blasting the ball into the back of the net and Paul curling the ball around the keeper, it was certainly good to watch, and we knew we had to make the most of him while he was still with us.

He naturally moved on to bigger and better things, eventually playing for his country, not just once, but as a regular, as we all knew he would do.

I like to think that Argyle had some input into making him into the footballer that he became, but he was always likely to make it, whether he had been with us or not, we were just a stepping stone in his career, but all that saw him play will have special, special memories of his time with us, and he returned on more than one occasion to show how he felt about the club that took him out of non-league and introduced him into the beginning of his illustrious career in the Football League and beyond.

Gone, but you will never be forgotten. It was an honour to see you play in green.

R.I.P. Paul

Can't top that. Well said. RIP Paul.

May 26, 2015
I'm so sad to hear the news and had no idea of his very serious illness.Mariner and Rafferty - simply the best Argyle striking partnership in my lifetime. Will never forget the magical 74/75 season.

RIP Legend

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I may not be old enough to remember his playing days, but my Dad was good friends with Paul and we spent a lot of time with him when I was growing up and particularly when he was manager, his kindness and warmth was unparalleled.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
A real legend in every sense of the word. I'll always remember being lucky enough to be at Wembley for his England debut when he came on as a sub. Thanks for the memories. Best wishes to his family.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
He's no longer suffering but gone far too soon. RIP legend.Thoughts are with his family and friends.

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
RIP legend.. the cries of Mariner (Rafferty) may have faded from Home Park but they will forever live in the memory of those of us that had the privilege to watch the best centre forward of his time play.

Phil Mallett

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 16, 2003
Tadley, Hampshire.
R I P Pilgrim. Thank you for gracing our club. Legends never die.