RIP Paul Mariner | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

RIP Paul Mariner

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Rip

Sad sad news :scarf:

Oct 31, 2015
The wife just told me so I have hopped into PASOTI.

Wow devastating news for the family after his battle.

RIP now you're not in pain Pilgrims legend.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I hope the club mark this legend in some way.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Devastating. I met Paul a couple of times whilst he was playing for Argyle. Great player, great guy, great loss.

jthep

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
Desperately sad news. I was lucky enough to be one of just 7066 who saw his debut in 1973 against Rochdale. Every single fan that night knew we were seeing a very special player for the first time.

As a 69 year old it also brings home the reality of life - you can take nothing for granted. Agree fully that the club should make a special tribute - and I am sure Simon and Co will give this a lot of thought. For me he really was an Argyle legend.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Struggling to type as I appear to have some grit in my eyes.

Never forget seeing him and Billy making defences look stupid.

RIP Paul - the Argyle family is hurting today.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
THE best Argyle player I have ever seen since starting my Pilgrimage in 1961. I have said a few times on PASOTI about Paul, whether we won or lost, he was always the best player on the pitch.

Had a big lump in my throat when I heard the news earlier this morning.

Forever a great.

RIP.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Awful and sad news, one of the greats and Argyle royalty and a big Iron Maiden fan. RIP.

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
Shocked!

As other have said, probably the best player in my lifetime to wear the green of Argyle. A club legend :nworthy:

Aside from memories of him playing, I'm reminded of my times as a 17/18 year old out on the town on a Saturday night and you would often bump into Paul and other players in the pub having a pint. The Good Companions and Mount Pleasant come to mind, always had time for a chat and I apologise now if I ever over stayed my welcome discussing the game that probably took place earlier that day :facepalm:

The weekend has not started well, let's hope it gets better. RIP Paul and my thoughts go out to family and friends.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
What terrible news. :-(
Every loss is difficult but this one seems more difficult that most.

Nice touch on BBC News sport bulletin just now presenter went out of his way to emphasize he was an Argyle legend.

Stuart Bloye

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Sep 17, 2003
Really sad news.

He was my first hero on the pitch and I was fortunate enough to share a few drinks with one of his former Ipswich team mates many years ago who said he was a great guy off it too.

I hope England pay tribute tomorrow.

RIP Paul & thank you for the memories.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
First saw him play when Argyle came down to St Austell in a pre seaon match he was just a different class to all the other players what a player.
RIP Paul