RIP Dad - Don Herring | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

RIP Dad - Don Herring

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
LP - My first game was the day after my fathers funeral - away to Northampton in 2015 (ironically he passed away in a hospice just 5 miles from the ground) - we won 2-0 and were superb that day - Carey was immense. I was the last one to leave the away end, alone with my thoughts and went through all the Argyle highs and lows we shared. I left the ground with tears in my eyes, but a smile on my face. The latter is what we all want to achieve when a loved one departs.
Whenever you get back to Home Park i hope we put on a similar display and i hope you get a chance to do the same.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Big thanks to you all, the Green Army really are a fantastic bunch!
It's an awkward time of the year for organising a funeral, but I hope I can attend a game in Dad's memory while I am over for that.
Your thoughts and wishes are all very much appreciated.

John Squire

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
I know exactly how you feel.

My dear old Dad was responsible for first taking me, when I was about 12 years old, in 1956 to Home Park. A couple of years later, my brother (TinTin) started to get the green bug.

He would make sure that we arrived at the ground in plenty of time, so that we could stand right down at the front, up against the fence!! Half time he would bring a KitKat or similar, so we had some fuel to keep us going.

The sorrow will always be there, but I think of all the good times we had at Home Park since those days. Indeed, long after Dad stopped going, my brother and I gradually moved back from the fence in what became the Mayflower Enclosure, and made new friends among those around us. Over the years, as we all got older, Dads would bring their own youngsters to the matches, and so our group became bigger and bigger. Mars bars were the chocolate bars then at half time!

Happy, but sad memories will live on.

Thoughts are with you at this time.

Jan 29, 2010
That OP could be written by me and brought a tear to my eye. My dad was in the navy from 1938 until the 60s so he couldnt go to many games. When he was away at sea he said they always "pipped" the Argyle score and Pompey scores first as soon as they got them which was usually on a Sunday morning. Once he was out he hardly missed a match and living in Seagrave Rd he couldnt hide it from me when they were home, same as you in the Spion Kop down the front, I didnt have a clue what was going on but at about 5 years of age I loved it ! Been going ever since all down to my dear old dad. He passed away a few years ago so I know exactly how you feel, next home game im sure you will shed a tear, and nowt wrong with that at all mate.

R.I.P. Pilgrim

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Rest in peace Pilgirm - Sorry for your loss and thoughts with you and your family, lousy.

I remember, when it looked like the end for Argyle, a massive wave of sadness passed over me. All I could think was that it looked like i'd never get the chance to take my future son to his game. It must be some experience that - but what amazing memories you'll always have.

Hope the boys put on a good display for the next game you get too - your Dads got some view now with some bloody good company.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Lousy_Pint":3w01ig2q said:
My dear Father, Don Herring, passed away on Saturday evening.
Aged 88, he had been going to Home Park since games recommenced after the war. He probably went to nearly every home game until a couple of years ago, when dementia spoiled his enjoyment considerably.
He started taking me in the early 60's, making me a stool to stand on in the Spion Kop corner. It was fitting then, that our last game together (2-2 v Oldham in September) we were sat in that same corner.
I fondly remember the few away games we went to together, including the Billy Bingham encounter at Plainmoor, the nightmare at Elm Park and a visit to the Old Den - which we lost fortunately!
He never had a PC or used his mobile, so was spared the 'delights' of Pasoti.
I hope you understand that I am really struggling to write this, so I'll just say Dad was a True Green. God bless you!!
A poignant tribute. Ten years ago I remember writing a similar post through a haze of alcohol and teary eyes the day my Dad passed away. It's strange how a post to complete strangers on a football forum helped - like you the football brought back memories of him. That's the thing about following a club like Argyle that the 'plastics' will never understand. It's much more than just football ....it's all the shared memories that actually attending matches with friends & loved ones brings. Sorry for your loss.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
So sorry for your loss but what a touching eulogy for an obviously much loved father and friend.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Pete H":pvckcpcy said:
That OP could be written by me and brought a tear to my eye. My dad was in the navy from 1938 until the 60s so he couldnt go to many games. When he was away at sea he said they always "pipped" the Argyle score and Pompey scores first as soon as they got them which was usually on a Sunday morning. Once he was out he hardly missed a match and living in Seagrave Rd he couldnt hide it from me when they were home, same as you in the Spion Kop down the front, I didnt have a clue what was going on but at about 5 years of age I loved it ! Been going ever since all down to my dear old dad. He passed away a few years ago so I know exactly how you feel, next home game im sure you will shed a tear, and nowt wrong with that at all mate.

R.I.P. Pilgrim

Almost the same, Pete. My Dad was in the Navy from 1949 to 1976. He took me to my first Argyle game in 1967 (lost 3-2 to Huddersfield) and I have been hooked ever since. I've introduced my son and daughter to 'the drug' and am looking forward to doing the same when my grandkids are old enough (poor beggars!) None of this would have happened without Dad, who died 5 years ago. Hang on in there, Lousy Pint, our thoughts are with you.