• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Ridsdale meeting potential investors in New York today.

Not had much time to read Pasoti so sorry if this is already on every thread, couldn't see one with the title.

Herald reporting the reason PR is in New York is to meet potential investors today in case the current deal collapses. Is this the Citybank thing again?
Are things not going very well or are we just making sure we have a back up plan? if so whats happened to Brent & Buttivant?

In the words of Jonny Nash; There Are More Questions Than Answers!

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Offshore-company-Argyle-bid/story-12772403-detail/story.html

Oct 7, 2003
Devonportender":gjiprhb0 said:
Not had much time to read Pasoti so sorry if this is already on every thread, couldn't see one with the title.

Herald reporting the reason PR is in New York is to meet potential investors today in case the current deal collapses. Is this the Citybank thing again?
Are things not going very well or are we just making sure we have a back up plan? if so whats happened to Brent & Buttivant?

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Offshore-company-Argyle-bid/story-12772403-detail/story.html

Buckle up beys - all aboard the big dipper!! :) :) :) :) :(

Mar 23, 2011
Preston/ Southampton
Devonportender":z8wq384o said:

He did state in the article he wanted as many back up plans as possible, so any excuse to fly out to New York? We will find out when the next payment is due whether nor not the irish are buying the club.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
to be honest if this is true it suggests the pb bid has failed

I would be extremley upset had I paid £1 Milion for exclusivity and the administrators and acting chairman where jetting off all over for discussions with other people

Also I think the Brent bid is finished now the council will not buy the ground and lease it back

I personally shall not be bothering with Argyle this season if something isnt sorted by the time the season starts
If its ok for investors to withold there money then its ok for me to

I used to wear my Argyle shirts with pride everywhere despite which dividion we were in football was my passion all this has turned us into a laughing stock and even worse means that next season we shall start on the pitch from a position of disadvantage.
I can accept losing to a better team but not when you have no chance of signing players etc the same as everybody else

I am still doubtful we shall start the season !

Mar 6, 2004
Back In The Muff Now
Could this be a fact finding mission,

PR - "I will shortly own a football (soccer) club, fancy giving me some money to run it ?",

Potential Investor - " who's in already ?"

PR - "Can't say ;) "

Tugboat

50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Feb 24, 2007
From the Herald

Lead administrator Brendan Guilfoyle, pictured above, wants to sell the club to the group, said to be headed by Irish property developers, by the end of the month.

But acting chairman Peter Ridsdale was meeting potential investors in New York today in case the current deal collapses.

Representatives for the preferred bidder are set for talks with council planning officers on Friday over their plans to develop around Home Park.

I said the Irish might pull out :cool:

Getting to the point where both Brendan and Ridsdale are seeking back up plans incase it falls through. Seem's they aren't as convinced as they once were.

Three other potential backers in the frame should the deal collapse.

Argyle's acting chairman Peter Ridsdale is in New York today meeting prospective investors.

Bradley Rangell, a sports finance director at banking giant Citibank, represented a US consortium. Those discussions ended last month and Mr Ridsdale would not comment on whether they had resumed.

But he said: "Option A may or may not complete but we need to make sure we at least have an option B, C, D, and so on. We are rapidly running out of time in saving this football club. I keep saying it, but this club is on such a knife-edge.Do I think it will be ready to start next season? I'm not sure at the moment."

A

Anonymous

Brenda will kick them out when he finds out that is IS Heaney, mark my words.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Ridsdale is now allowed to select his own Preferred Bidder then? A group of investors he was hawking around football clubs last year, bypassing two other potential bidders.

Or....

The current Preferred Bidder does not have the funds to complete the purchase of Argyle but are open to help and investment from other sources with Ridsdale luckily having someone he knows standing by.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I don't get it. One minute BG is stating he will have nothing to do with Heaney or the M7, and today he's quoted in the herald that he doesn't care who buys the club.

Chris/graham, help!!!!

Tugboat

50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Feb 24, 2007
Andy_Symons":2hwmavww said:
PL2 3DQ":2hwmavww said:
Ridsdale is now allowed to select his own Preferred Bidder then? A group of investors he was hawking around football clubs last year, bypassing two other potential bidders.

Or....

The current Preferred Bidder does not have the funds to complete the purchase of Argyle but are open to help and investment from other sources with Ridsdale luckily having someone he knows standing by.

There is another possibility: With Ridsdale supposedly buying the club for a £1, the NY trip could be to secure investment in the club once Ridders takes over.

Just trying to find a positive, that's all :)

Can't wait to have 37 people all scrapping for a piece of there investment when they've had enoughor a disagreement

Jan 2, 2010
I'm curious how he can justify the expense when any preliminary discussions could be done over the phone, or Skype, or something - and if the meetings were at a more advanced stage then they would want to see what white elephant they were investing in anyway.

I'm getting a Nero's fiddling, Rome's Burning scenario here.

Jun 29, 2006
Essex
A financial shambles?

Recent lack of achievment with a burden of underperforming but overpaid players?

A muddled ownership structure with people firing off doing their own thing?

So, it's a link-up with the New York Mets then.

Mar 4, 2004
Andy_Symons":338pn5h9 said:
PL2 3DQ":338pn5h9 said:

Or....

There is another possibility: With Ridsdale supposedly buying the club for a £1, the NY trip could be to secure investment in the club once Ridders takes over.

Just trying to find a positive, that's all :)

I'm sure that's right.

So the fabled preferred bidder buys Argyle for the property and sells the football side of it to Peter Ridsdale for £1.

From day one, there are bills to pay. Probably around £250k a month.

Yet no season tickets have been sold (and when they are, don't expect them to bring in much more than £1m).

So where's the working capital?

(This is yet another flaw of Guilfoyle's bizarre decision to confer PB status on property people whose obsession with secrecy makes Howard Hughes look like Stephen Fry in terms of visibility, but let's not go there now..)

No UK bank's going to touch it. So it's off to see some chums at Citibank.

Or perhaps Donald Trump.

"New York New York - a wonderful town"...

I hope he's staying somewhere nice.

Tugboat

50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Feb 24, 2007
Bodmin Tew":3tnjwchw said:
Shadowknight":3tnjwchw said:
I'm curious how he can justify the expense when any preliminary discussions could be done over the phone, or Skype, or something - and if the meetings were at a more advanced stage then they would want to see what white elephant they were investing in anyway.

I'm getting a Nero's fiddling, Rome's Burning scenario here.

I think you're being a bit churlish. Whilst phone or video conferencing is useful for everyday discussions if one side is looking to sell/negotiate then there is simply no substitute for meeting someone face to face. If Ridsdale thinks that the back up plan or additional investment is both necessary and his New York meeting is the only way to deliver this then so be it.

I agree, if we so badly need the investment, a simple phone call saying ''Hi I'm Peter from Plymouth, are you intrested in buying some of Plymouth Argyle football club cause we are skint and about to go under.''

A face to face is required for this type of buisness and to discuss/complete any future deal.

Jul 24, 2006
The quote in today's Herald from Guilfoyle saying he doesn't care who buys the club is extremely insensitive & appears very unprofessional. It is the latest in a LONG line of strange behaviour from him :?

I'm not surprised that Ridsdale has gone to New York. There has been interest from American based investors in English club for years. Plymouth should be an attractive proposal for American based businessmen because of the historical aspect of our city.
For me the expense can be justified, as it is a lot easier to sell something, and harder to say no to, if you are face to face with the people your selling to.