Retained list (confirmed) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (confirmed)

Dec 30, 2020
What do Exeter do with their young pros? Do they have a 'reserve' team in a local men's league or are they just better at picking suitable loan clubs than we are?

They have a much better record than we do of making sure their most promising youngsters don't hit a dead end in their development, so what are they doing they we aren't?

A mate of mine used to coach in Exeter’s youth set up. Two things they do differently are that they put players up an age group and out on loan much earlier (as they don’t rate the standard of the youth league) and they tend to give the ones that sign pro contracts longer to prove themselves.

A couple of examples - the age group that Endacott and Halls were part of always beat Exeter at youth level but that was partly because their better players were already out on loan. Argyle have two players (Zak Baker & Will Jenkins Davies) left from that group but Exeter have six or seven. One of them, Sonny Cox, is a first team regular in League 1 having played men’s football on loan for a couple of years at Yeovil, Bath, Weston Super Mare. He might just be a better player than anyone we’ve got (Man U were rumoured to be looking at him) but they seem to have managed him well.

Similarly this year Exeter had a first year scholar (so aged 16/17) scoring freely at youth level so they put him straight out on loan to Tiverton, which is a much higher standard (most of the players in our youth league struggle to reach that level even as grown men - Jack Endacott dropped down a league from Tiverton to Tavistock to get game time). Contrast with Caleb Roberts who is nearly 19 but played three adult games this season and otherwise been playing against children (and as i say, not elite level kids but Forest Green, Cheltenham) etc. It seems crazy that he has to jump straight from that to playing against Leeds in front of 40 thousand people.

Reactions: McQ and WoodsyGreen
Jul 28, 2020
If we could produce 1 first team player per year that would be fabulous - but how realistic is this ? We've never achieved that in the past

I seem to think the 1970s was our heyday for producing young talent, around the time garry megson broke through

That's just from somewhere in my hazy memory- not sure if this is true

In the 5 years from ryan Lowe's arrival we've 'produced' michael cooper and adam randell - statistically that would be about .4 players per year . That's respectable in my view

Of course that discounts luke jephcott and ryan law , good players, who both contributed - but didnt stick around

I'm not too surprised to see klaidi lolos doing well. But how long can a club wait around for it to 'click' including a players attitude ? In hindsight I cant be too critical of the club. Your always going to get some 'attrition' - isaac vassell, ryan leonard, sean morrison , robbie pethick ( who went on to have a very respectable career after being released)

I'm pleased to see will jenkins davies retained - he definitely has something.whether he can harness that talent and go on to become a regular, may well be up to him, I feel...

We may also hear from oscar halls again, at a league club, I believe.

One criticism of the club that I do have is the lack of activity on the non- league circuit. This has always been a fertile production of young talent for Argyle in the past- yannick bolasie, craig noone, ashley barnes, the tragic alan Nichols and many,many,many more...

BTW does anybody know what happened to Jeff forkou ( spelling ?) .I think there was a thread on him after our pre season friendly at parkway.( I know I wasnt the only fan to be taken by surprise when he got released by the club ) ??

Last edited: