Retained list (confirmed) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (confirmed)

Feb 13, 2021
If we retain our status the retained list will be very interesting. There are many players not up to the standard of the Championship.

Reactions: ken jackson

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Think it will be dependant on the league we are in
How many players who are currently contracted will want to leave if we are relegated
If we keep our place in the Championship how many will be transfer listed as they are deemed not up to the demands of the Championship
Come kick off of the 1st league game next season our starting 11 could be unrecognisable from what we have known this season
Interesting times

South Hams James

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 10, 2011
The retained list wont be any big surprise, as others have said, only a few players out of contract. The retained list wont include XYZ player who wants to leave or likely include players we are happy to move on, i.e. put on the transfer list. As the pre season unfolds, who we sell / let leave will likely depend on the players we can bring in. I can see us letting any of the average players leave unless we have someone better signed.

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Jun 27, 2019
The retained list wont be any big surprise, as others have said, only a few players out of contract. The retained list wont include XYZ player who wants to leave or likely include players we are happy to move on, i.e. put on the transfer list. As the pre season unfolds, who we sell / let leave will likely depend on the players we can bring in. I can see us letting any of the average players leave unless we have someone better signed.

Yep, we could probably predict the retained list right now. The squad will take several weeks if not months to settle down.

If we stay up I can think of at least five players who shouldn't be anywhere near the first-team next season and who should either be released, loaned out or join the coaching staff.

In reality, once the loanees go and we lose Miller, Galloway, Gibson and Whittaker, as well as clearing out the League One-standard players, we'll need to bring in at least 12 new players.

That's going to be a seriously tempting proposition for the new manager. He'll get to help shape the squad right from day one and will have a whole pre-season to work with them.

Reactions: GU7Green
Feb 8, 2005
Yep, we could probably predict the retained list right now. The squad will take several weeks if not months to settle down.

If we stay up I can think of at least five players who shouldn't be anywhere near the first-team next season and who should either be released, loaned out or join the coaching staff.

In reality, once the loanees go and we lose Miller, Galloway, Gibson and Whittaker, as well as clearing out the League One-standard players, we'll need to bring in at least 12 new players.

That's going to be a seriously tempting proposition for the new manager. He'll get to help shape the squad right from day one and will have a whole pre-season to work with them.
Cannot see us affording 12 Championship players, even with 5 possible loans!

Depends who we are able to sell, I suppose.

Jun 27, 2019
Cannot see us affording 12 Championship players, even with 5 possible loans!

Depends who we are able to sell, I suppose.
Yep. If we get a big wedge for Whittaker (and possibly one or two others) then the calibre of those new players should be pretty good even by Championship standards. If something really weird happens and Whittaker decides to stay, then we'll once again be shopping in Lidl while everyone else is in Waitrose.

Nov 18, 2011
Yep. If we get a big wedge for Whittaker (and possibly one or two others) then the calibre of those new players should be pretty good even by Championship standards. If something really weird happens and Whittaker decides to stay, then we'll once again be shopping in Lidl while everyone else is in Waitrose.
Reminds me of when Spurs sold Gareth Bale. We won't get someone in with the quality of Whittaker as a replacement but hopefully the money will be put to good use and strengthen several areas. Which Spurs failed to do...

Aug 30, 2006
There are some real gems to be had in Lidl ...if you know where to look!

Jul 12, 2016
If we sell Whittaker we will only be shopping in Tesco!

Apr 30, 2011
Even if we get some decent income through either sales, investment or TV money, I still don't think we would be shopping at Waitrose. We should still be trawling through Ebay looking for stuff others don't want that we can polish up, make use of for a while then sell on to someone else.

Jun 27, 2019
Even if we get some decent income through either sales, investment or TV money, I still don't think we would be shopping at Waitrose. We should still be trawling through Ebay looking for stuff others don't want that we can polish up, make use of for a while then sell on to someone else.
Agreed. I didn't intend to mean that if we get £15m for Whittaker we'll be in Waitrose with the rest of them. As someone else said, our upgrade on Lidl will be Tesco, and even then we'll have to go in with a clubcard and buy mostly own-brand stuff.