Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There has been retrospective action for something that he didn’t see.
I suppose we can’t get retrospective action to re-instate the goal that was disallowed after he was ‘persuaded’ by the opposition to change his mind?
Oh well, I thought not.

Oct 31, 2015
There has been retrospective action for something that he didn’t see.
I suppose we can’t get retrospective action to re-instate the goal that was disallowed after he was ‘persuaded’ by the opposition to change his mind?
Oh well, I thought not.
As one of his previous visits the HP. Claims to not see an incident. The man has history🙄

Apr 4, 2007
Grantham, Lincs
With a TV pass and the opportunity to see the incident again the goal was offside.... but he only reacted to the pressure from the cambridge players as there was no replay available to him. The yellow card issued to wilson and now a 3 game ban although the incident was dealt with at the time, maybe the right decision for a slap but why does the opposite not work when a yellow is given erroneously? These Fwits are allowed to officiate but it seems they can do no wrong in the FA's eyes.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I did consider that but no editing has gone on there. It is continuous from the ball hitting the net, throught the player celebrations and then seeing the assistant with his flag up.
You only seem to get involved in refereeing matters when decisions are detrimental to Argyle.
I asked, on 2 occasions, if you could comment on the fact that the Gillingham goalkeeper wandered around his penalty area ‘ball in hand’ for about 16 seconds on at least 7 occasions last Saturday. Perhaps, you didn’t see my question.
Do you agree that the referee should have taken action?
I believe that Gillingham’s time wasting was worse than Cambridge’s.

CambridgeSean

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 17, 2021
You may be right about the early incident. There are always 2 sides to any incident like that. Perhaps, you know why Wilson did whatever you are suggesting he did. I somehow doubt that he wasn’t provoked in some way.
I hope that there is less controversy when we meet later in the season.
I am not sure why I need to grow up for asking you a simple question.
davie nine, your response and graciousness was far better than mine.....apologies and hope you'll accept them....best of luck against Shrewsbury tmw

Reactions: davie nine

CambridgeSean

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 17, 2021
Sean, Argyle and Mr Sarginson do have a history, which goes back several years to a home match against Leyton orient in league 2, under Derek Adams.

The issue with Mr Sarginson is of competence . He has a history of ceding his authority to players and letting players “ref” games. I remember Liam Kelly was in the refs ear for much of the last 10 minutes as orient clambered to get a winner - which they eventually secured. When Liam Kelly pushed over one of our young ball-boys in a rush to take a corner , sarginson took no action and later claimed not to see it - although it was claimed later that video footage seemed to suggest that sarginson appeared to be looking towards the incident when it happened. Kelly later got a lengthy ban, for his actions. Highlights should be somewhere on the internet, have a look yourself- see what you think.
As far as Tuesdays game goes it seemed fairly clear from the actions of the referee and linesman that the goal had been given until the Cambridge players intervened. I could clearly see the group of 3 or Cambridge players “high giving” each other after Sargison changed his mind- so it was clear to them, as it was also clear to me from my seat in the Lyndhurst that their interventions had lead to Sargison changing his mind.

I think for me the main issue is one of authority- everybody knows the ref doesn’t change their mind- particularly after a gap of several minutes , don’t they ? If they do start changing their minds then where is this going to end ?

Speaking personally I would rather see the ref as an authoritarian figure , as he is in the game of rugby- where the players have deference for his decisions- and if they don’t the play gets moved 20 yards forward.Perhaps we should move towards that in football ? I certainly don’t like seeing the spectacle of players surrounding the ref.

As for the alleged Wilson incident I didn’t see it- and like most people I suspect, only saw the fall out after,It’s not on video is it ? So it’s only hearsay, if that’s the case. Wilson is hard but fair- and not a dirty player, so I would like to know what went on to cause the alleged incident.

This threads not really about the match, it’s about Chris Sarginson- and like most people I don’t think he’s a very good referee. Having said that I have to say Argyle were a bit naive- and knowing his reputation we should have targeted him in the same way Cambridge did.

Ps. I like your teams defence- but think your going to need a few more reinforcements up front, to help your winger ?Tracey out.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Hi Railway Sleeper and thanks for the reply. It's appreciated. Wasn't aware of the history between Sarginson and Plymouth but yes that can explain lots of the fans' reaction. A bit like you I really don't think refs have bias against a team but there are some who are just consistently poor and then some who are good but then make poor decisions sometimes. The result from the two controversial decisions are well 'interesting'. I just watched the game on ifollow but it did look like Wilson had slapped (definitely not punched) Williams. Obviously the FA have reached a judgement on that today. I completely understand annoyance ant why the ref or lino haven't seen it or called it. Retrospectively he should have been sent off of course but why a decision to book the two of them (if nothing's been seen) is admittedly odd. The 'goal' was offside no question but again why it took so long I really don't know. I don't know if you ever listen to Max Rushden on Guardian Football Weekly ( a Cambridge fan) but he made mention of how long it took to reach that decision. Anyway, I wish you all the best for tomorrow against Shrewsbury ...take care.

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
in that footage, he is offside when he receives it, but it looks much tighter at the point if flicks off Hardie, which is what matters. Does any other footage clearly show it as offside at that moment?

He is not offside when he receives it if he was onside when the original ball was played (or the lino would flag?).
So Corporal Clott knows he is not offside until Hardie touches it. So, if he sees Hardie touch it, he can immediately consult the lino.
So why give it, run back and Argyle line up?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
You only seem to get involved in refereeing matters when decisions are detrimental to Argyle.
I asked, on 2 occasions, if you could comment on the fact that the Gillingham goalkeeper wandered around his penalty area ‘ball in hand’ for about 16 seconds on at least 7 occasions last Saturday. Perhaps, you didn’t see my question.
Do you agree that the referee should have taken action?
I believe that Gillingham’s time wasting was worse than Cambridge’s.
I didn’t watch the Gillingham game or see any footage so how can I comment? The referee was one law on his side that allows him to use discretion when applying the laws of the game and that is how goalkeepers holding on to the ball tend to get away with it. I have been to a game today and Martin Atkinson, one of our top referees, he allowed it by both ‘keepers so it is not only refs at lesser levels.

Sep 6, 2006
He is not offside when he receives it if he was onside when the original ball was played (or the lino would flag?).
So Corporal Clott knows he is not offside until Hardie touches it. So, if he sees Hardie touch it, he can immediately consult the lino.
So why give it, run back and Argyle line up?
Obviously because he didn’t realise Jephcott was offside when Hardie touched it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I didn’t watch the Gillingham game or see any footage so how can I comment? The referee was one law on his side that allows him to use discretion when applying the laws of the game and that is how goalkeepers holding on to the ball tend to get away with it. I have been to a game today and Martin Atkinson, one of our top referees, he allowed it by both ‘keepers so it is not only refs at lesser levels.
Ok, thanks, LC.
Perhaps, as someone on here suggested, when a keeper perseveres with this type of time wasting, the crowd could give him a 6 second plus countdown to encourage the referee to take action.
To clarify, I was referring to Breakspear not Sarginson, the title of this thread.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I get the discretion, however there gets to be a point when one side is benefitting and one not. In such a situation an apparent even handed approach is actually demonstrating unintended bias. The referee is tipping the scale to one side against the other.