• Total voters

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Whatever it was, it was a ridiculously over exaggerated by a plum of a Lino.

Typical of an ex referee though. Timing something like that. :) You're all sad Paul.

Sad is one word. I'd use another but the swearchecker won't let me use it.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Nothing like a bit of exageration. If you watch the Matchday Moments, it is only 45 seconds after the ball hits the net that the flag went up.
Suggest you watch it on repeat of the match it's well over 2 minutes. It may surprise you to find that matchday moments are edited.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I have a recording from the radio and can time it if anyone’s interested.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
If Sarginson knew that Hardie flicked the ball on and Jephcott was offside then why didn`t he disallow it immediately?

Jul 28, 2020
I stand to be corrected on this ( can anybody else at the match confirm?) but I believe all Argyle players were in our half waiting for Cambridge to kick-off after the “goal”, and the lengthy celebrations.

Several Cambridge players were arguing with the linesman - when Sarginson walked back from the half- way line towards those Cambridge players and the Lino, on the Lyndhurst side.

So I’m not sure how much more of a “goal” it could possibly be, before being disallowed.

That’s from my memory- can anybody else confirm that that’s what they saw ?

Reactions: GreenThing

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I stand to be corrected on this ( can anybody else at the match confirm?) but I believe all Argyle players were in our half waiting for Cambridge to kick-off after the “goal”, and the lengthy celebrations.

Several Cambridge players were arguing with the linesman - when Sarginson walked back from the half- way line towards those Cambridge players and the Lino, on the Lyndhurst side.

So I’m not sure how much more of a “goal” it could possibly be, before being disallowed.

That’s from my memory- can anybody else confirm that that’s what they saw ?

Unfortunately, despite the absolute certainty that the officials allowed themselves to be strong armed into revoking their initial decision, the rules say that until the ball is back in play decisions can be overturned.
He's done it before when a team bullied him into changing his original decision to award a goal (Carlisle v Harrogate), and I suspect he'll do it again if a team intimidates him.
His refereeing career is littered with games that have descended into brawls, including one occasion at Swindon when some meathead climbed onto the pitch and clocked the Orient keeper one during a melee between the players.
The saddest thing is, when I saw he'd be ref, I knew we'd be talking about him four days after the game.
Next time he's put in charge of a game at Home Park I'm tempted to just give my ticket money to a charitable cause rather than have another weekend's supposed entertainment wrecked.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Just checked the EFL website & tomorrow he will be refereeing Excreta v the Gas Heads- i am sure that will be an entertaining afternoon

No doubt Mr Barton will be in is ear from the start

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Whatever it was, it was a ridiculously over exaggerated by a plum of a Lino.

Typical of an ex referee though. Timing something like that. :) You're all sad Paul.
But it was you who claimed to have timed it. I simply noted the time on the play-back and did a bit of simple maths.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Suggest you watch it on repeat of the match it's well over 2 minutes. It may surprise you to find that matchday moments are edited.
I did consider that but no editing has gone on there. It is continuous from the ball hitting the net, throught the player celebrations and then seeing the assistant with his flag up.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Having watched Matchday Moments, it is clear that Luke was in an offside position when he received the ball from Ryan’s flick on.
However, the goal was initially awarded and the final outcome indicates that ‘it pays to protest’.
in that footage, he is offside when he receives it, but it looks much tighter at the point if flicks off Hardie, which is what matters. Does any other footage clearly show it as offside at that moment?

Jul 28, 2020
in that footage, he is offside when he receives it, but it looks much tighter at the point if flicks off Hardie, which is what matters. Does any other footage clearly show it as offside at that moment?
I’d love to see Chris Errington asking some questions around that first jephcott goal that never was.

It would be interesting to hear what Mr Sarginson and the linesman have to say about it …. and the timings around the whole incident.

It’s one of the strangest decisions I’ve seen at Argyle for many years - not just the fact that a goal was disallowed…. because that happens all the time- but that Sarginson appears happy to let players “referee” matches which he’s supposed to be in charge of.

In my opinion this is going to set a very unfortunate precedent if Sarginson’s decision and the circumstances of it, are left unscrutinised ….