Promotions | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Promotions

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mansfield promoted to League 1
Portsmouth promoted as Champions to the Championship
I am delighted for Mansfield. One of those 'against-the-odds-most-seasons' clubs that I so admire. They joined the Football League Division 3 (South) 11 seasons after Argyle. Apart from that season and the completed ones either side of WW2, they competed in Division 3 (North). Their best season in the regional third tier was 1950/51 when they finished 2nd (only the top club was promoted). It was also the first time Mansfield had got past FAC3, going on to lose to Blackpool, the eventual finalists. In 1958/59 when regionalised 3 (South) and 3 (North) were merged to make a new Third Division and Fourth Division, Mansfield joined Argyle in the new Third Division. They lasted just two seasons before sinking into the fourth tier. That was the first of 8 relegations and last night was their 7th promotion. 4 of their relegations have occurred in the season after a promotion.

Perhaps their greatest day came on 26 February 1969 when Ron Greenwood brought West Ham to the Nottinghamshire coalfields for a 5th round FA Cup tie. The Hammers side included Billy Bonds, Martin Peters, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Trevor Brooking (and Harry Redknapp). Leicester's most famous name was former Leicester winger Jimmy Goodfellow. The Hammers were 7th in the First Division and last time out had held Shankly's all-conquering Liverpool to a 1-1 draw. 10 of the West Ham side at Field Mill had played the previous week. Mansfield were 18th in the Third Division.

Under floodlights, after the previous Saturday's game was postponed, nearly 22,000 cheered Mansfield to the best result in their history - a 3-0 win. The mid-60s were a decent time at the club. They achieved their highest ever league position, 3rd in the non-regionalised third tier in 1964-6 could have been so different. Always in debt at the bank, in November they were forced to sell the prolific Kevin Wagstaff to Hull. They lost out on goal average to Bristol City. Carlisle won it, with both promoted clubs eventually reaching the First Division.

I've always viewed them as one of those unpretentious clubs, ones which struggle through almost every season but are immensely enjoyable to visit and essential to the success of the EFL. Cheap beer, decent pies - who wants to be a Championship club anyway!!

Sep 28, 2022
One thing is for sure, next season, s Championship will be even more competitive than this season. If we do stay up the teams coming up will be well financed "big" clubs, ie Pompey, Derby and probably Bolton. If there is a decision on the financial wrangles of clubs in the Premiership and points deductions, who knows who might come down. We will definitely be favourites for relegation so this mid season, big decisions have to be made with wether we are serious about life in the Championship and seriously more investment undertaken. Here's hoping.

Sep 28, 2022
As I have just posted in another thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68787470 Pompey need to quadruple their wage budget to be competitive.
Most definitely correct. The financial impact and step up of Championship football is massive compared to leagues 1 and 2. If we do stay up we would have done almost the impossible with regards to not overstretching ourselves. It just goes to highlight the astute management of our club on and off the field (obviously excepting the disastrous period of Ian Foster). I am not too sure that my heart will take another season of tightrope walking at a great height!!. Here's hoping again!.

Reactions: Tavy Tony

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
There will be a new EFL team next season. Bromley v Solihull Moors in the National League playoff final this Sunday.

Meanwhile in the National League North, Scunthorpe lost on penalties in their playoff against the other Pilgrims, Boston, who will play Brackley in the final. The attendance was just over 8,000 which is a record for the sixth tier.

The National League South final is Worthing v Braintree.