Premier League (Original 22 teams) 1993 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Premier League (Original 22 teams) 1993

G

Greenskin

Babararacucudada":3dcqisu9 said:
The 22 teams were: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Coventry City, Crystal Palace, Everton, Ipswich Town, Leeds United, Liverpool, Manchesters City and United, Middlesbrough, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Oldham Athletic, Queens Park Rangers, Sheffield United and Wednesday, Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur and Wimbledon (Arsenal, Forest, Palace, Spurs, Wednesday, QPR and Villa all have wonderfully rich nomenclature if you think about it).

They resigned en masse from the Football League to set up the Premier League in an act of naked self-interest which 17 years later has seen Wimbledon disappear completely, Palace teetering on the brink of bankruptcy at the moment and various financial catastrophes beset Ipswich, Leeds, Wednesday and Southampton and which also sees Manchester United and Liverpool straining under the weight of outrageous debt levels running into hundreds of mi££ions.

If they thought that they were setting themselves up for long term success then only 9 of the 22 are still in the top flight so it didn’t work for most of them, did it?

Serves ‘em jolly well right too!!

I'm not pro premier league by any means but there have been some success stories since 1991 as well.Wigan[!],Bolton,Stoke,Sunderland,Fulham,Birmingham etc have emerged since that time to take the place of the clubs in decline and seem to be reasonably stable organisations equipped to make a medium/long term success of it,which demonstrates that it can be done with the right finance and attitude.I agree about the concept of the premier league,definitely some sort of public control needs to be imposed to level the playng field again to some degree.It isn't good that only 4-5 clubs have a cat in hells chance of winning the league and when even clubs like Everton and Spurs,with their illustrious histories,regard qualification for a secondary european competition as success.First step would be reintroduce the sharing of gate receipts between home and away clubs-that would get the Manyoo accountants spluttering into their champagne and prawn sandwiches.It'll never happen of course,but we can dream of a fair world and a return to the root ideology of the football league.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Babararacucudada":1tz308tu said:
(Arsenal, Forest, Palace, Spurs, Wednesday, QPR and Villa all have wonderfully rich nomenclature if you think about it)

Serves ‘em jolly well right too!!

I have thought about it and..... I haven't a clue what "nomenclature" means.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So what you're saying Babs is that those clubs who initially broke ranks were foolish to allow promotion and relegation to and from the Premier League.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
Frank Bullitt":2rwtxcyf said:
Since the advent of the PL, Football League teams have entered adminstration on 53 occasions (some more then once).

Quite shocking to be frank, Frank :)

I wonder if anyone can come up with the number who went into admin (or went bust) in the equivalent number of years before the PL ?.

Very many fewer I suspect ?