Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Apparently Brentford, Aston Villa and Southampton are 'keeping tabs' on Mike Cooper.
Championship clubs Sheffield United, Birmingham City, Coventry City and WBA are also interested.

Jun 27, 2019
Any 21-year-old keeper playing regular league football will be looked at by other clubs. It's such a rare occurrence that it'd be negligent of a scout not to check him out.

He's doing well this season but was a bit jittery the other night with his distribution. He also came for a corner and only succeeded in punching James Wilson in the back. That said, his opposite number plays international football and I thought he was shocking!

Ideally Cooper will get an England U21 call-up to boost his value. Josh Griffiths was named in the latest squad despite playing in League One this season (on loan from WBA), so that obviously isn't seen as an impediment to getting a call-up.

Jun 27, 2019
In fact, it sounds like Cooper can feel hard done by at not getting in ahead of Griffiths...

Josh Griffiths has opened up about his early-season struggles with Lincoln City, admitting he was putting too much pressure on himself.

The West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper endured a tough start to his season-long loan, making errors that led to goals against Gillingham and Bolton Wanderers. There were also question marks over his positioning for Wycombe Wanderers’ winning goal last month.

Jun 27, 2019
He doesn't have to be. The word 'under' doesn't mean 'younger than', it just means you can't be any older.

Though in the case of U21 football, you only have to meet the maximum age restriction at the begining of a tournament cycle, which means some players are actually 23 by the time they reach the tournament stage.

Reactions: Penmaster and Biggs

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
i 'think' you only have to be 21 or under, at the start of the current international campaign, so in this case that might be for the 2023 Under-21 Euros.

You often get 22 or 23 year olds playing in those tournaments, as a result.

Edit... @WoodsyGreen and I posted at exactly the same time :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: WoodsyGreen
May 8, 2011
I doubt if any PL side will sign him until 2024, when they can get him for free.
They will watch his development over the next 30 months and then come in with personal terms he will find hard to say no to.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
I doubt if any PL side will sign him until 2024, when they can get him for free.
They will watch his development over the next 30 months and then come in with personal terms he will find hard to say no to.
If they want him, they'll not wait for a freebie. I've heard the Premiership clubs have some money.

Jun 27, 2019
It doesn't work like that though does it. The competition to sign coveted youngsters is intense at that level, and if they can get him for £5m then that's practically spare change down the back of the sofa.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It would be a big mistake to allow him to move to a Premier League or Championship club where he would probably be on the bench for a season or more.
He is improving in every game and, whatever his current value is, it will double or treble the longer we are able to keep him.
I don’t understand the ‘jittery’ criticism concerning his distribution. He made one mistake at Wimbledon and then made a great save to compensate for his error.
Generally, for a young keeper, his distribution is excellent including his ability to, accurately, throw the ball to a colleague near the halfway line. He is also very quick off his line to collect a ball bobbing around in the six yard box and his reaction speed is exceptional.
Cooper’s continued presence in our team is crucial to our ambition to reach the Championship.

Jun 27, 2019
Davie - some of his clearances at Portsmouth were poor and almost cost us. It's fine to point that out and still think he's a promising talent who continues to learn the game.

With respect, you've always been hyper sensitive to any criticism of him but there's no need to jump on any and every perceived slight. The fanbase in general seem to recognise we have a very promising talent on our hands but it's natural to point out player mistakes and perceived weaknesses on a fans forum like this one.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

Or buy him in January and loan him back to Argyle or another team.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Perhaps I am hyper sensitive to criticism of him, Woodsy; you are certainly not the first to suggest that.
In over 60 years of watching Argyle, I believe that he is the best keeper that we have produced. Yes, even better than the late Alan Nicholls imho (tin hat on).
As I already mentioned, he made a serious distribution error in the Wimbledon game and you may be right about his distribution in the Portsmouth game although I don’t recall a particular incident that almost ‘cost us’.
It is clear that overall, like me, you are impressed with Coops and there is no problem with pointing out perceived weaknesses. Similarly, there should be no problem in someone like me defending him.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
It would be a big mistake to allow him to move to a Premier League or Championship club where he would probably be on the bench for a season or more.
He is improving in every game and, whatever his current value is, it will double or treble the longer we are able to keep him.
I don’t understand the ‘jittery’ criticism concerning his distribution. He made one mistake at Wimbledon and then made a great save to compensate for his error.
Generally, for a young keeper, his distribution is excellent including his ability to, accurately, throw the ball to a colleague near the halfway line. He is also very quick off his line to collect a ball bobbing around in the six yard box and his reaction speed is exceptional.
Cooper’s continued presence in our team is crucial to our ambition to reach the Championship.
It’s not really a question of 'a mistake' if the time comes though Davie. Clubs like Argyle can’t afford to turn down serious money, even if it comes from one of the bigger Championship clubs, let alone PL. There comes a point, where there is no choice but to let better players go. That said, I haven't seen anything from Cooper yet that makes me think he is a PL keeper in waiting. Time will tell though.
Do you really think he is better than Martin Hodge was at this stage of his career?

Reactions: Superguy