Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper

Aug 24, 2009
I have a great deal of confidence in Cooper and he will play in the Premiership one day, I suggested a short while ago that if he continues in his development, top clubs will want him, this was obvious to me. He does not need to go anywhere at the moment because if our form continues he will be playing in the championship next season against the teams who are interested in him. There will come a time when he will want to move on but that time is not now. His development is much better suited at Plymouth playing games every week rather than not at a bigger club but as we are all aware money talks.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Reactions: Guiri Green

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I think Cooper is one heck of a good keeper already. His distribution is the best I've seen, that is becoming more and more of an important attribute for top keepers. He has bulked up and looks more physically strong this season. He's probably not ready for the Premier League yet but I think he will be by next season, if he maintains his current rate of progress.

Feb 8, 2005
I think Cooper is one heck of a good keeper already. His distribution is the best I've seen, that is becoming more and more of an important attribute for top keepers. He has bulked up and looks more physically strong this season. He's probably not ready for the Premier League yet but I think he will be by next season, if he maintains his current rate of progress.
Forget the Premiership. If he went he would be third or fourth keeper and would only be involved with the youth team. That will not give him any advantage over what he is doing now. He will stay while we can provide him with a first team place and that experience will take priority over financial issues.

Should we get promoted, as in the five year plan, then he would be able to gain experience at that level for a season or two, but he needs that experience in the Championship before a Premiership club would seriously think about taking him to add to their squad.

You know that the Premiership gather up what they consider to be the best young talent and then just dispose of them when they do not improve sufficiently enough. The experience of first team football will hold young Cooper in good stead, he will gain the experience that the Premiership youngsters do not get (remember they want to get their youngsters into the EFL for experience of men's football) and will ensure that he has the best chance of getting to the top if he has the talent.

Time is always on the side of a goalkeeper, they have a much longer career in the game than the average Premiership footballer, even some international players, and do not reach their peak until later in their career.

Reactions: Superguy
May 8, 2011
Forget the Premiership. If he went he would be third or fourth keeper and would only be involved with the youth team. That will not give him any advantage over what he is doing now. He will stay while we can provide him with a first team place and that experience will take priority over financial issues.

Should we get promoted, as in the five year plan, then he would be able to gain experience at that level for a season or two, but he needs that experience in the Championship before a Premiership club would seriously think about taking him to add to their squad.

You know that the Premiership gather up what they consider to be the best young talent and then just dispose of them when they do not improve sufficiently enough. The experience of first team football will hold young Cooper in good stead, he will gain the experience that the Premiership youngsters do not get (remember they want to get their youngsters into the EFL for experience of men's football) and will ensure that he has the best chance of getting to the top if he has the talent.

Time is always on the side of a goalkeeper, they have a much longer career in the game than the average Premiership footballer, even some international players, and do not reach their peak until later in their career.
Cooper’s current contract expires in 2024 when he is 24, so everyday nearer his transfer value is going down.
Other Clubs can let Argyle continue his development for the next 30 months and then offer him a very lucrative contract in 2024 should he have progressed and not pay Argyle anything.

May 16, 2016
Last season it was Luke Jephcott who bigger clubs were looking at, next season it might be Rhys Shirley, either way it shows the youth system is producing good players.

Last Season when all the talk was about Luke, I recall saying the player most likely to bring in some money and move on would be Michael Cooper. He has two good feet which is an important attribute for a Keeper in the way the game has developed and he's improving each year.

The Youth system is showing long term promise.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I am so impressed with him! He has a very bright future ahead of him but I hope he stays at Argyle as long as possible

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Cooper’s current contract expires in 2024 when he is 24, so everyday nearer his transfer value is going down.
Other Clubs can let Argyle continue his development for the next 30 months and then offer him a very lucrative contract in 2024 should he have progressed and not pay Argyle anything.

You’re working on the basis that Argyle just allow him to run down his contract. We are no longer a club that will mismanage our asset that badly, in my opinion. He’ll either get another new deal or we’ll sell while he’s still under contract.

Its great to see youth lads in the team, but unless the club keep progressing at the same rate, we are going to have to make some unpopular decisions in the future to ensure we reap the rewards of the hard work the academy puts in. Cooper is by far the most valuable of the lot. I agree with those above who suggest he has top flight potential. He is a modern keeper, with good distribution and no glaring weaknesses. If we were to sell him tomorrow, given his contractual situation, I’d want at least £2.5m, a hefty sell on clause and him back on loan for a full season. If he were to get England recognition you can all but double that fee.

Reactions: davie nine
Feb 13, 2021
Always destined for the top, if he was perfect with his distribution and great in the air! He would already be playing premier league as there are not many better shot stoppers and reactive savers around! Especially at his age! And as for his distribution there will always be an odd mistake given passing out from the back! Name me a top prem keeper who hasn’t made a howler of a pass out!

Feb 8, 2005
You are wrongly assuming that Argyle would not offer another contract before the current one expires. Do you really believe that would happen?

If you are alleging that Cooper would reject it for a higher paying contract with another club, then money will not be his priority at this moment in time.

His playing experience in the first team will be the priority and any move upwards would not guarantee him a first team place, and may even slow his progress as an understudy.

His transfer value will increase with every game that he plays for Argyle, regardless of length of contract remaining, and providing that Argyle continue to progress forward his future should be playing in our first team, not sitting on a bench at a bigger club.

If we are successful in reaching the Championship, then Cooper will be able to continue his progression with us. If not, then we might get to the position of holding him back and we should then allow him to leave to progress his career at a bigger club.

Cooper has the opportunity to go as far as his talent will take him, providing he continues to gain experience and play first team (mens) football. No bigger club will guarantee him that, especially if we get promoted in the near future, but Argyle have set out their stall and he is correct in viewing his future with us until such time that he outgrows us and we begin to hold him back, which will then be the time for him to move on to a bigger club where he will have better opportunity to showcase his skills at a higher level.

Sep 9, 2021
He’s still young and maturing and will make mistakes, don’t forget most keepers are 10 years ahead of him
I am sure a club will come in with an offer we can’t refuse, none of us want to lose him and he loves us but premiership and money would be hard to turn down for him or us, if we go up that that changes everything

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Didn't Jordan Pickford pass straight to an oppo's player in one of the games in the Euros?

I'm not making a comparison, but just highlighting the fact that when Coops makes a mistake, it isn't necessarily inexperience.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Honestly, if anybody on here truly believes that Cooper would turn down a chance to probably at least quadruple his wages overnight, they are not living in the real world.
That would happen if a good Championship club came in for him, let alone PL. There are even L1 clubs which could offer him that sort of money, although I could see him moving to a Championship club, where he would go into first team reckoning immediately.

All this stuff about him knowing he’s better off staying at Argyle is naive in the extreme. You can’t keep preaching about how good he is and then expect him not to want to better himself.

Aug 5, 2016
Honestly, if anybody on here truly believes that Cooper would turn down a chance to probably at least quadruple his wages overnight, they are not living in the real world.
That would happen if a good Championship club came in for him, let alone PL. There are even L1 clubs which could offer him that sort of money, although I could see him moving to a Championship club, where he would go into first team reckoning immediately.

All this stuff about him knowing he’s better off staying at Argyle is naive in the extreme. You can’t keep preaching about how good he is and then expect him not to want to better himself.

He might prefer to be the number 1 at Argyle, than battling to be the number 2 or number 1 elsewhere with two other goalkeepers as good if not better than him. Then long spells of sitting on the sidelines and going out on loan. The miserable side of professional football you don’t often hear about.

Goalkeepers don’t often go straight to the top and earn the big bucks straight away. In 2 years time with two seasons more experience, Cooper will still only be 23. 10+ years of earning potential ahead of him.

He is probably earning plenty of money at the moment, got lots of support and admiration from his manager, teammates and supporters. He is settled and appreciated, with his family just up the road in Exeter.

Why is it so hard to imagine he doesn’t want to jump too high and too far too soon?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
When is the next England u21 squad announced? I would think that young Mike Cooper should have an excellent chance to be in that squad should he have a few more clean sheets and getting press attention that prem and championship clubs are looking at him…