Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper

Jul 28, 2020
i think nicholls was the better keeper . he was just an incredible shot stopper.
Alan Nicholls anecdote:

I know this is a Michael Cooper thread, but I couldn’t help sharing this story which echos what Alan and others have been saying about Nicholls.

26 April 1994.
Wrexham 0, Argyle 3.

A Wrexham midfielder ( I think it might have been Gareth Owen ) hit the perfect shot - hard and low, which seemed destined for the bottom right hand corner ... then Nicholls pulled off a fabulous/ miraculous save.

Owen simply stood there incredulously , and did something which you very rarely see……. he simply stood and applauded.

Does anybody else there that night remember that ?

Sep 18, 2010
Alan Nicholls anecdote:

I know this is a Michael Cooper thread, but I couldn’t help sharing this story which echos what Alan and others have been saying about Nicholls.

26 April 1994.
Wrexham 0, Argyle 3.

A Wrexham midfielder ( I think it might have been Gareth Owen ) hit the perfect shot - hard and low, which seemed destined for the bottom right hand corner ... then Nicholls pulled off a fabulous/ miraculous save.

Owen simply stood there incredulously , and did something which you very rarely see……. he simply stood and applauded.

Yes I was there and remember that.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I am sure he would be if he was eligible. The 3 keepers mentioned, and every other member of the current U21 squad were born in 2000 or later. Mike Cooper was born in 1999.
Fair enough, so he was born just 8 weeks too soon, a pity.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Personally I think Cooper is better than Palmer, and he's 4 years younger.
Cooper has noticeably improved just since last season. He seems to have a bigger physical presence and more confidence helped in some measure by the extra experience now in front of him. He has a good 3 seasons still before reaching Palmer's age so yes I would confidently expect him to be a level above Palmer when he is 25 and approaching his best years.

Reactions: saxman

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cooper has noticeably improved just since last season. He seems to have a bigger physical presence and more confidence helped in some measure by the extra experience now in front of him. He has a good 3 seasons still before reaching Palmer's age so yes I would confidently expect him to be a level above Palmer when he is 25 and approaching his best years.
He is playing behind big confident experienced defenders jerry. Means he can concentrate on his own game.
Have you ever played in goal?? I have (at a ludicrously low level) but I have never sweated so much in a game, sheer funk and concentration. I did OK but it was terrifying!!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
In today's market 3 million really is just loose change.

I'd start at 10 million. He's 21 and playing regularly and keepers can go on well into their 30s, so he is a very valuable asset.

Do I think he is worth 10 million? No, no player is....but this is the current, mad world of football, so Argyle need to capitalize on this.
Players worth £10m get paid an awful lot of money. I'd be interested to know whether you'd still place his value that high when the time comes to renegotiate his contract with Argyle.

• Haha
Reactions: saxman

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
He is playing behind big confident experienced defenders jerry. Means he can concentrate on his own game.
Have you ever played in goal?? I have (at a ludicrously low level) but I have never sweated so much in a game, sheer funk and concentration. I did OK but it was terrifying!!
Yep ditto on the goalkeeping Pogles, only for the school team for a couple of years.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Players worth £10m get paid an awful lot of money. I'd be interested to know whether you'd still place his value that high when the time comes to renegotiate his contract with Argyle.
More a case of players signed for 10 million get paid an awful lot. Cooper isn't due a contract renewal for several years and time is on Argyle's side. He isn't going to go for that sort of money currently and even in the next year or so it would only be with decent add ons in the future. We are in a pretty good position with Cooper and likewise I think he is with us currently.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Alan Nicholls anecdote:

26 April 1994.
Wrexham 0, Argyle 3.

Yes, possibly the best reaction save I have ever seen....

I remember that more than the goals....

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
How do we know he hasn’t got a release clause in his contract for a given amount or specific league?

Jun 27, 2019
That would only apply if a club came in for Cooper and Argyle quoted them £10m. Which they wouldn't do because they aren't stupid.