Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper

Feb 13, 2021
Cooper is our best young player/asset at the moment. While other clubs are hovering around at the moment it would pay the club to extend his contract with a salary to match. One day a club will come forward with a suitable fee, but until then there should be no rush to send him on his way. On current performances, his value can only increase.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I still think Aleksic (spelling) was the best young keeper Argyle have had, when I look back we’ve had some great keepers or else rubbish defences
Aleksic was a decent keeper, but not in the same league as Hodge imo. Hodge made over 200 top flight appearances for two clubs and was in the England reckoning for a time, when England had incredible keepers. He also came through Argyle's apprentice system too. If Cooper does as well as Hodge, I will be surprised. Hodge was snapped up by Everton after just one full season of first team football at Argyle from memory and made it into their first team the same season. He has to be the best keeper Argyle have ever produced thus far.

Reactions: Superguy

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Aleksic was a decent keeper, but not in the same league as Hodge imo. Hodge made over 200 top flight appearances for two clubs and was in the England reckoning for a time, when England had incredible keepers. He also came through Argyle's apprentice system too. If Cooper does as well as Hodge, I will be surprised. Hodge was snapped up by Everton after just one full season of first team football at Argyle from memory and made it into their first team the same season. He has to be the best keeper Argyle have ever produced thus far.
Let's compare like for like. In Hodge's day the Premier league/old division 1 had 20 English goalkeepers, well possibly 2 or 3 others from the British Isles.
Today only 3 goalkeepers in the Premier league are English so it was far easier in Hodges day to get an opportunity in the top tier. Even the second tier/the Championship has a glut of foreign keepers today.
Even back in the 80s Hodge failed to break through at Everton making just 24 appearances in 4 seasons and being loaned out to lower league clubs.
At his peak he played 4 seasons in the top tier for a moderate to half decent Sheffield Wednesday side. Would Hodge have got anywhere near a Wolves or Everton first team in this day and age? I doubt it with all the overseas competition, most of whom are full internationals.
You say he got close to the England team at a time when England had some incredible keepers. Well at that time there was Seaman, Woods, Bailey, of which only Seaman could be rated anywhere near incredible.
For Michael Cooper to break in to a top half Championship team as a goalkeeper is going to be possibly more difficult than it was for Hodge to establish himself as a mid table top tier keeper almost 40 years ago.
I go back to Dave McClaren in the mid 60s and Argyle produced some good young keepers, Aleksic, Barron, Hodge and Nichols to name but four. Nichols never fulfilled his potential sadly but there was little to choose between the other three. Would Hodge have got more game time than the former two at Spurs and Arsenal?
Not trying to diminish Hodges career here, he did very well after leaving Argyle but Cooper has a much tougher task to get anywhere near playing for one of the big boys.
At the same age as Hodge Cooper had played almost exactly the same number of first team games for third tier Argyle. I would suggest that it is much harder now to achieve that as the standard has gone up.
When someone of Neil Dewsnip's standing, a coach who knows the England youth set up inside out calls him the best 21 year old English keeper I think we should take some heed. He may be talking him up just a bit for Argyle's benefit but he has no real reason to.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I forgot that Hodge played fo Sheffield Wednesday. Now I realise why devongreenowl was so impressed.
That was nothing to do with my post Davie. He was a former Argyle keeper who did very well for himself at a time when English keepers were still up there with the very best. Surely GJanner, if we’re being pedantic, you can hardly claim that Argyle ‘produced’ Aleksic or Barron.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
That was nothing to do with my post Davie. He was a former Argyle keeper who did very well for himself at a time when English keepers were still up there with the very best. Surely GJanner, if we’re being pedantic, you can hardly claim that Argyle ‘produced’ Aleksic or Barron.
I think Davie was fishing there and you took the bait. Yes a little pedantic, OK we plucked them both from non league and gave them both their first taste of league football. All 3 played in the top tier, two at big London clubs and Hodge at Wednesday so all very similar ability.
Back to Cooper potentially he could outshine them all but making the breakthrough will be much harder today with foreign keepers and bigger clubs stacking up players and loaning them out. It is very hard to compare with 40 years ago as then top young English keepers would get their chance in the top flight, it is much rarer now. Even going back 20 or more years when Wednesday last played in the top flight it would have been quite different.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I think Davie was fishing there and you took the bait. Yes a little pedantic, OK we plucked them both from non league and gave them both their first taste of league football. All 3 played in the top tier, two at big London clubs and Hodge at Wednesday so all very similar ability.
Back to Cooper potentially he could outshine them all but making the breakthrough will be much harder today with foreign keepers and bigger clubs stacking up players and loaning them out. It is very hard to compare with 40 years ago as then top young English keepers would get their chance in the top flight, it is much rarer now. Even going back 20 or more years when Wednesday last played in the top flight it would have been quite different.
Took the bait my 4rse. Just standing my ground on a good keeper from a time when Argyle actually produced players for the top level for a few years.

Let’s wait and see on Cooper. You’re right though, why would Dewsnip big him up? Can’t possibly think.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Took the bait my 4rse. Just standing my ground on a good keeper from a time when Argyle actually produced players for the top level for a few years.

Let’s wait and see on Cooper. You’re right though, why would Dewsnip big him up? Can’t possibly think.
I think listening to the podcast Dewsnip was giving an honest opinion though we will never know for sure.
We did produce a good few players at that time, Hodge, Philips and Megson spring to mind but again I wonder if they would have all done so well and played so many games in the top flight these days with all the extra competition of players from all over the world?
Players that have gone from Argyle in more recent years like Jack Stephens and Christian Walton I am sure would have played more often in the top flight 40 years ago too.

Aug 5, 2016

What young English goalkeepers are better then? Not many spring to mind.

I’m confident Cooper will play in the top division, and he will likely make the club a lot of money in the process.

If he gets the U21 call up he deserves, his value will rocket.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
What young English goalkeepers are better then? Not many spring to mind.

I’m confident Cooper will play in the top division, and he will likely make the club a lot of money in the process.

If he gets the U21 call up he deserves, his value will rocket.
Don’t really know enough about other clubs young keepers to comment. Dont forget, its only a matter of a months since we were getting crazy predictions about Jephcott on here. I’m just trying to bring a bit of realism to the table 🥴

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Coopers development would probably slow down if he went to a premier league team too soon.

He needs to continue playing each week so he’s fine right where he is.

He’s brilliant for his age but he’s not the finished article.

I wouldn’t want him to move on to just play crappy under 21 premier league matches.

He’s got another 18 months with Argyle I think. If he gets a decent offer on the summer then hopefully we get to keep him for another season.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The 3 current U21 keepers are Josh Griffiths, Etienne Green and Josef Bursik. Griffiths is on loan with Lincoln having played a full season for Cheltenham in league 2 last season. Bursik has 23 appearances to date for Stoke but not for a few years and Green 15 for St Etienne this calendar year who are bottom of the French top tier currently. Cooper with his 50 plus league appearances in league 1 should therefore be very much under consideration for the U21s.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
As good as he is £3 million with big add ons based on inprovements and future transfers and id sell we need to build a team and we coukd get a replqcment keeper who could do a job easily