Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Mike Cooper

Aug 5, 2016
It would be a big mistake to allow him to move to a Premier League or Championship club where he would probably be on the bench for a season or more.
He is improving in every game and, whatever his current value is, it will double or treble the longer we are able to keep him.
I don’t understand the ‘jittery’ criticism concerning his distribution. He made one mistake at Wimbledon and then made a great save to compensate for his error.
Generally, for a young keeper, his distribution is excellent including his ability to, accurately, throw the ball to a colleague near the halfway line. He is also very quick off his line to collect a ball bobbing around in the six yard box and his reaction speed is exceptional.
Cooper’s continued presence in our team is crucial to our ambition to reach the Championship.

Exactly. Cooper's distribution and composure is fantastic for any keeper, never mind a young one.

The misplaced pass against Wimbledon is perhaps the only one I remember him making since he has been in the team.

Watch the EFL highlights on Quest, and you see goalkeeper howlers leading to goals virtually every week in every division (since the transition to 'play it out from the back' tactics and the opposition high press). I don't remember Cooper's fluffed distribution or lack of composure ever leading to a soft goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: philevs

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It’s not really a question of 'a mistake' if the time comes though Davie. Clubs like Argyle can’t afford to turn down serious money, even if it comes from one of the bigger Championship clubs, let alone PL. There comes a point, where there is no choice but to let better players go. That said, I haven't seen anything from Cooper yet that makes me think he is a PL keeper in waiting. Time will tell though.
Do you really think he is better than Martin Hodge was at this stage of his career?
If Coops is happy to stay then I would say that we could afford to ‘turn down serious money’ on the grounds that, as I have suggested, that serious money could be doubled or trebled if we are able to hold on to him for as long as possible.
He is only going to improve with experience, particularly behind a more experienced back 3 compared to last season.
Martin Hodge was a very good keeper but, yes, I do believe that Coops will prove to be better in his career.
You are, probably, right that he is not YET a PL keeper in waiting and I will be very happy if we can hold on to him for at least 2 more seasons by which time, you never know, we could be in the Championship.

Feb 13, 2021
It’s not really a question of 'a mistake' if the time comes though Davie. Clubs like Argyle can’t afford to turn down serious money, even if it comes from one of the bigger Championship clubs, let alone PL. There comes a point, where there is no choice but to let better players go. That said, I haven't seen anything from Cooper yet that makes me think he is a PL keeper in waiting. Time will tell though.
Do you really think he is better than Martin Hodge was at this stage of his career?
I still think Aleksic (spelling) was the best young keeper Argyle have had, when I look back we’ve had some great keepers or else rubbish defences

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He’s possibly the most valuable asset we’ve had, certainly in my time supporting Argyle. 3 million at the moment I’d say, and that’ll only keep going up - I’m normally one to dampen expectations when it comes to transfer fees so I think my valuation there goes to show how much I rate him. As someone else has said, it’s so rare for a 21 year old non-loanee goalkeeper to be first choice and to be performing at League 1 level.

Nov 18, 2011
Hopefully he has a sensible head on his shoulders and a decent agent so he doesn't start getting his head turned by transfer talk and the prospect of earning a lot more money. Right now playing week in, week out is the best thing for him.

Everything I've seen so far suggests he's a level headed person which is great.

Dec 30, 2020
Coops has been absolutely fantastic in the games I've seen this season and getting better all the time. Some of the saves he's made just this week in the games v Portsmouth and Wimbledon were really world class. He has good distribution, very quick and brave off his line and probably makes fewer handling errors than any Argyle keeper I can remember. Dealing with crosses under pressure is maybe his biggest weakness, but has improved a lot since he started to punch more regularly (possibly on the advice of his coaches).

I struggle to think of many better in English football in his age bracket. Meslier at Leeds is the only one playing regularly in the PL and he is an absolute giant which a lot of the top clubs seem to want these days and may count against Cooper. Are there any comparable young keepers in the Championship?

Jul 28, 2020
I still think Aleksic (spelling) was the best young keeper Argyle have had, when I look back we’ve had some great keepers or else rubbish defences
Argyle have had a lot of success helping great young goalkeepers at the start of their careers- there is aleksic, Martin hodge, paul Barron, and not forgetting the tragic and brilliant premiership goalkeeper that never was- Alan Nichols.

It’s fantastic that Argyle have been lucky enough to see Michael Cooper at the start of his career- the majority of which, I’m sure will be spent playing in the premier league ( and possibly for England) - he compares very well to other young goalkeepers both in the premier- league and elsewhere. I was pleased he was in our team mid- week and not Pompey ‘s Republic of Ireland no 1, on loan from Man City- Gavin Bazuna.

I think Coopers all round game is very good and can only get better. He reminds me a lot of another great sweeper- keeper who figured for Argyle - Steve Cherry.

I hope michael’s getting good advice to help keep his feet on the ground, through the inevitable highs and lows of a professional football career. He will leave - but when the time is right ( and the deal is right for both Michael and Argyle ) - and hopefully he can stick around for a while to enjoy his football ,and help with a possible promotion bid ???

I think that Bristol Rovers 6•5” Finish international keeper Anssi Jaakola ( although at aged 34, at an entirely different stage of his career to Michael) could be well worth keeping an eye on, whether Cooper leaves, or not. He impressed me a lot during Rovers failed relegation campaign last season…

Reactions: philevs
Apr 1, 2009
Re. the debate over availability for U21. As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the new cycle starts this calendar year. As Mike Cooper was born in October 99 (and reached 21 in October 2020), he is ineligible. Luke Jephcott, born 3 months later in January 2000 (reaching 21 in January 2021) is however eligible for Wales U21 for the full 2 year cycle.

Aug 26, 2021
I doubt if any PL side will sign him until 2024, when they can get him for free.
They will watch his development over the next 30 months and then come in with personal terms he will find hard to say no to.
apart from everything else, when a player comes entirely through the selling club's youth system, isnt that club entitled to compensation ?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I do think that we need to get used to the idea that one or more of our better young players will be sold at some point and I actually think it will be necessary for this to happen before Argyle can really develop the squad further. We've really not sold a player for any decent amount of money for years and that has meant that managers have been starved of money to invest in new players. For this reason it is really important that the best of our young talents (e.g. Cooper, Camara) are given longer contracts so that we are able to get good money for them if and when they do move on. It's great when players stick with us and I don't WANT to see anyone sold but I do think it probably needs to happen at some point. Clubs like Peterborough have been able to continually invest in young talent because they frequently sell players upwards for good fees.

Jul 28, 2020
I doubt if any PL side will sign him until 2024, when they can get him for free.
They will watch his development over the next 30 months and then come in with personal terms he will find hard to say no to.
Exeter city have been very astute at negotiating deals which are very beneficial for the club and the player- such as the Ollie Watkins deal.

Assume this will be the same model which Argyle follow….

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Exeter city have been very astute at negotiating deals which are very beneficial for the club and the player- such as the Ollie Watkins deal.

Assume this will be the same model which Argyle follow….

Slightly different because Exeter are fan owned and pretty much rely on transfer fee's to keep them afloat/competitive in the football league. Their model works for them but it'll never get them further than League 1, at the moment they're struggling to get further than League 2. We need a model to become a Championship club, I believe we can get there in our current state, staying there will be a whole different thing though.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2016

I doubted any side would spend £25m on Aaron Ramsdale again but they did.

If a side like Sheffield United (with £25m in the bank from said deal), Brentford or Brighton want Mike Cooper, they either pay the fee Lowe wants for him (say £6m)....
or if they wait until auction time, bigger clubs like Villa, Newcastle or Everton may offer him more in terms of signing on fee, weekly wages and he'll go there.

If clubs are circling like sharks, they want their man and have the money to get it done. If 5 interested clubs all leave it until he is out of contract, four will end up unhappy and without their man.
Thry know this so they will buy now to make sure it doesn't come to that.

Oct 5, 2013
Re. the debate over availability for U21. As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the new cycle starts this calendar year. As Mike Cooper was born in October 99 (and reached 21 in October 2020), he is ineligible. Luke Jephcott, born 3 months later in January 2000 (reaching 21 in January 2021) is however eligible for Wales U21 for the full 2 year cycle.
Pity, always have concerns he’ll go and get injured with Wales!

Feb 13, 2021
Hopefully he has a sensible head on his shoulders and a decent agent so he doesn't start getting his head turned by transfer talk and the prospect of earning a lot more money. Right now playing week in, week out is the best thing for him.

Everything I've seen so far suggests he's a level headed person which is great.
But