Post-match interview | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Post-match interview

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I found it very bland and rather than a commentary on the game it seemed like a conversation between two people with the game going on in the background

Reactions: Emu

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I think there is no substitute for actually being at the game for doing a live commentary. At game commentary is more anticipatory as the main commentator can see the game unfolding in wide vision whilst the commentator with just using a live video feed it is inevitably seeing a one dimensional view and is more reactive. If you listen on DAB the crowd sounds vibrant and you feel much more that you are part of it. In the live video feed the crowd sounds momtone and subdued by comparison.

Those who can remember the Sparksy commentaries will recall the rise and fall of anticipation - so much so at times you thought Argyle would score on every attack. The passion and enthusiasm conveyed meant you were connected. A remote commentary simply cannot convey the same enthusiasm.

As a result, like others, and despite paying the Argyle TV subscription I listen on DAB. Yesterday Radio Devon’s commentary reflected the the rise and fall of the game and Haney Aljofrey’s co-commentary provided smart observation and honesty that a remote contribution simply could not match.

Argyle TV is a first class offering but away commentaries tend to fall below the high standard achieved. I understand it may be a cost decision and the fact that radio commentaries are generally not available outside of area and rarely abroad. Having said all that I do not share the comments made about Rob McNichol ( Is he still the mani commentator? He wasn’t the interviewer) and Charlie Price. Both are experienced radio commentators - it is just that they are at their best when they are at the game.

Aug 5, 2015
I think Charlie and the ex lady player provided the commentary and Rob was operating the twitter account. Charlie clearly wasn’t at Fleetwood and Rob clearly was. Don’t understand the two commentators criticism. It was the same last year with Rob and either Stonebridge or McGlinchey at least at home games

May 8, 2011
I think there is no substitute for actually being at the game for doing a live commentary. At game commentary is more anticipatory as the main commentator can see the game unfolding in wide vision whilst the commentator with just using a live video feed it is inevitably seeing a one dimensional view and is more reactive. If you listen on DAB the crowd sounds vibrant and you feel much more that you are part of it. In the live video feed the crowd sounds momtone and subdued by comparison.

Those who can remember the Sparksy commentaries will recall the rise and fall of anticipation - so much so at times you thought Argyle would score on every attack. The passion and enthusiasm conveyed meant you were connected. A remote commentary simply cannot convey the same enthusiasm.

As a result, like others, and despite paying the Argyle TV subscription I listen on DAB. Yesterday Radio Devon’s commentary reflected the the rise and fall of the game and Haney Aljofrey’s co-commentary provided smart observation and honesty that a remote contribution simply could not match.

Argyle TV is a first class offering but away commentaries tend to fall below the high standard achieved. I understand it may be a cost decision and the fact that radio commentaries are generally not available outside of area and rarely abroad. Having said all that I do not share the comments made about Rob McNichol ( Is he still the mani commentator? He wasn’t the interviewer) and Charlie Price. Both are experienced radio commentators - it is just that they are at their best when they are at the game.
I hope the decision not to send the commentators to games isn’t due to the cost.
When you consider all the money spent doing nice but not necessary cosmetic work to Home Park this summer not having the budget for 15 to 20 overnight stays seems ridiculous especially for as you say having the reporter in the stadium would enhance the supporter’s matchday experience. Something Argyle keep saying is important.

Reactions: ChepstowGreen

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I found it very bland and rather than a commentary on the game it seemed like a conversation between two people with the game going on in the background

Totally agree. Completely passionless. If we are to promote our club to the US we need to do much much better than that..

Aug 16, 2008
I think R Mc and CP are perfectly adequate commentators - not brilliant and not bad. Neither has the charismatic personal style that sets some apart (eg Sparksy). However, even Sparky’s commentary would have suffered if he was not actually at the game and I believe that this is the problem. It certainly sounded flat yesterday.

I think Katie Middleton is a good expert summariser and a good addition to Ian S and Brian Mc. They are not co - commentators in my view, but there to provide some technical analysis from a tactical perspective.

Bottom line for me is that the commentary team have to be in the stadium.

Jul 13, 2006
I wish Argyle would partner with Radio Devon for the audio only livestream.
To be fair, they do a great job on the Plymouth FM frequency. It has such a small geographic coverage its a shame more people can't get to hear it.
I can get it on dab in Exmouth.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Radio Devon blurts out Chief stuff all of the time, stopped listening to that rubbish about 18 months.

I thought Charlie and Katie did ok yesterday, but as you say, we need to have people there to capture the spirit of the game.

Oct 5, 2013
Agree with the above, the commentary yesterday at Fleetwood was fine. It was the post-match interview that I found appalling.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
And I agree too. I was particularly impressed by Katie's comments - well informed, straight and honest on the bad points as well as the good.

Aug 5, 2016
I was abroad for the Barnsley match and watched online, no idea who the commentators were (one male, one female) but I must admit I found both boring and a drop in standard from last season.