• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Positive discrimination

Nov 15, 2011
How would you feel if Tom Hardy, for instance, put in a good performance so was chosen to play Muhammad Ali? Would you be ok with that or would you prefer they gave the role to a black actor?
If he was the best actor to encapsulate the required role and the character then fine.

I think the difficulty here would be that unlike Anne Boleyn most people know what Ali looks like and sounds like so it depends on whether the producer is making a film that is as authentic looking as possible or is making a film that just wants to be around Ali's character and personality.

Also unlike Anne Boleyn there were issues of race and racism throughout Ali's life so that would have to be handled sensitively and the producer may think a black person would be more appropriate.

I think a better comparison for Anne Boleyn is Othello where for instance Sir Patrick Stewart has played the black lead.

Reactions: GreenThing
Jul 29, 2010
So let me get this right TMKF, it doesn't matter because not many people know that the mother of Elizabeth 1st wasn't black?

What in gods name have they been teaching kids in history lessons in school since I left in the 80's?

But it's OK I guess, history is being rewritten on such a exponentially increasing gargantuan scale, soon it won't matter anyway...

...the only statues will be persons of woke acceptability, the only figures from history will be Alan Turing, Ghandi and Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol. Kids will be told that Churchill is the insurance advert bulldog and that the guy at the top of the column in Trafalgar Square is Nelson Mandela.

I admire your persistence, really I do, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that you are in the worlds longest game of 'defend the indefensible' :ROFLMAO:

Nov 15, 2011
xisle with respect you haven’t understood what I have said.

everyone knows Anne Boleyn wasn’t black but it’s not important, well to most people, that a black actress plays her in a film. Why would it matter? If the actress was a lot shorter or taller than Anne Boleyn would you be furious with that ? why ? She’s playing a role and why would anyone be upset that the colour of her skin was different to Boleyns?

If she was an Asian actress would that annoy you less? Would a white woman with a sun tan annoy you?

Airing a historical piece where the lead actress by all accounts gave a brilliant performance in depicting Anne Boleyns character isn’t rewriting history it’s giving people an understanding of history. People know she wasn’t actually black but it’s ok you know.

As for the rest of your post I have no idea what you are talking about . Statues? The Colston statue was put in a museum because that’s what the people of Bristol wanted. People will learn about his history better there than something they never notice on a street. what other statues are you talking about?

It’s ironic that when the National Trust attempt to explain our history the anti woke brigade try to cancel them.

Sep 6, 2006
So let me get this right TMKF, it doesn't matter because not many people know that the mother of Elizabeth 1st wasn't black?

What in gods name have they been teaching kids in history lessons in school since I left in the 80's?

But it's OK I guess, history is being rewritten on such a exponentially increasing gargantuan scale, soon it won't matter anyway...

...the only statues will be persons of woke acceptability, the only figures from history will be Alan Turing, Ghandi and Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol. Kids will be told that Churchill is the insurance advert bulldog and that the guy at the top of the column in Trafalgar Square is Nelson Mandela.

I admire your persistence, really I do, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that you are in the worlds longest game of 'defend the indefensible' :ROFLMAO:
History lessons finally telling the truth about imperialism for example, you mean? God forbid

May 16, 2016

Considering events and repercussions over the last year or so, I think in view of the way people can find themselves jobless, have a career cancelled, be forced into hiding to live in fear for the safety of the themselves and their family. Have an entire backstory erased, be labelled all manner of foul things for not following a party line. Be demonised for something your ancestors did or being of the wrong hue, basically have your life ruined, all for having the 'wrong' opinion or expressing an alternative viewpoint to a current trend, I'd say history isn't being rewritten........ it's being repeated.

That's what should be keeping us awake at night.

Nov 15, 2011
Bizarre post, who has been demonised and had their life ruined? Who has been forced to hide in fear? In this country? I must have missed that.

who isn’t allowed to have an opinion? No opinion is wrong by definition.

I get the bit about people trying to cancel our back story we’ve seen that with the anti woke lot and the National trust . And denial of what actually happened in our history.

Otherwise haven’t the slightest idea what that’s all about. Anybody?