• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Positive discrimination

Sep 6, 2006
This thread is a classic example of why its so difficult to create a level playing field. One, yes ONE, apprenticeship offered to an ethnic minority and many are up in arms about it. Including I note the OP who rarely posts on this board. Says a lot about his attitudes/views.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Balham_Green":146jhwyu said:
This thread is a classic example of why its so difficult to create a level playing field. One, yes ONE, apprenticeship offered to an ethnic minority and many are up in arms about it. Including I note the OP who rarely posts on this board. Says a lot about his attitudes/views.

Second post back and clear inference that another poster has racist tendencies.

Bye.

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":2pvr9ken said:
Balham_Green":2pvr9ken said:

Bye.

Wrong as usual. Nothing to do with racism just that the op clearly doesn't understand how to address inequality or perhaps is even unaware it exists. So don't try to distort my posts. Bye

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2ri7w9zc said:
Frank_Butcher":2ri7w9zc said:
Balham_Green":2ri7w9zc said:

Bye.

Wrong as usual. Nothing to do with racism just that the op clearly doesn't understand how to address inequality or perhaps is even unaware it exists. So don't try to distort my posts. Bye

One instance of racism is one too many. Maybe I don’t understand how to address inequality, but I firmly believe that introducing inequality in the opposition direction will perpetuate the problem rather than solve it.

Nov 15, 2011
I agree but this apprenticeship is not introducing inequality in the other direction, its trying to address the existing inequality. And as far as I'm aware they haven't received one complaint from any prospective applicant so who are the people actually offended by a problem that doesn't exist?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
BTW, I think Frank’s ‘pendulum’ post earlier in this thread is spot on, sums up my point of view in a way that I couldn’t.

Nov 15, 2011
Bit of an old story there ninja but good to see you agree that positive discrimination can be a good thing in the right context.

Jan 20, 2004
Everyone has a right to be treated equally period. But positive discrimination takes place every day in many different ways and in most cases rightly so, especially when protecting the weak and vulnerable.

Mob rule, survival of the fittest results in the weakest in society being pushed aside, so is it not right that those in a position to do so can give those less fortunate a helping hand in life.

You could argue a young man giving up his seat to an old lady or a disabled child being given a more accessible seat on the bus as positive discrimination, rather than leaving them to take their chances.

If you were looking for someone to play a dwarf in a production it would be ridiculous to advertise to anyone other than a dwarf.

So if you are looking for someone to fill a certain role you would direct your advert accordingly.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
Everyone has a right to be treated equally period. But positive discrimination takes place every day in many different ways and in most cases rightly so, especially when protecting the weak and vulnerable.

Mob rule, survival of the fittest results in the weakest in society being pushed aside, so is it not right that those in a position to do so can give those less fortunate a helping hand in life.

You could argue a young man giving up his seat to an old lady or a disabled child being given a more accessible seat on the bus as positive discrimination, rather than leaving them to take their chances.

If you were looking for someone to play a dwarf in a production it would be ridiculous to advertise to anyone other than a dwarf.

So if you are looking for someone to fill a certain role you would direct your advert accordingly.
I completely agree but there's always another way of looking at it - look at the recent Channel 5 production of Anne Boleyn....

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I agree with ninjamissile - acting is different in that roles cast is entirely dependent on the context of how the director envisions it: look at Ian McKellan - now in his 80s - playing the lead in a new production of Hamlet, even though Hamlet himself is supposed to be in his 20s. And another character from that production, Laertes, is played by Emmanuella Cole, a black woman.

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure your point here ninja. This appointment was nothing to do with positive discrimination or any discrimination, she was just chosen as the best actress for the job. Her character was thought to closely align with Anne Boleyn . Of course Anne Boleyn wasn't black but a white actress would either have been taller shorter different hair whatever. Actors aren't supposed to look exactly like the character they are playing, so what has your point got to do with positive discrimination?

Reactions: metroace

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Not sure your point here ninja. This appointment was nothing to do with positive discrimination or any discrimination, she was just chosen as the best actress for the job. Her character was thought to closely align with Anne Boleyn . Of course Anne Boleyn wasn't black but a white actress would either have been taller shorter different hair whatever. Actors aren't supposed to look exactly like the character they are playing, so what has your point got to do with positive discrimination?
How would you feel if Tom Hardy, for instance, put in a good performance so was chosen to play Muhammad Ali? Would you be ok with that or would you prefer they gave the role to a black actor?