Portcullis Podcast with Simon Hallett. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Portcullis Podcast with Simon Hallett.

Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
Yes this was a interesting interview, SH is always interesting to listen to, he is very astute with his wording and shows good humour.

Definitely sounds like he genuinely considers the fans, and the culture of the club above anything else.

What I took from this is argyle are unlikely to approach an head coach or manager in an existing contract. Secondly Argyle are very focused on the personality and direction of an applicants ambitions.

This means a very specific type of head coach, and possibly an assistant looking for a step up.
I feel he was saying prefer to take a new Head Coach who isn't under contract so we don't have to pay compo but we are prepared to head hunt if we need to. Time will tell where we end up.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for sharing, great listen.

Interesting that the autograph zone removal was brought up by one of our main sponsors. I think this really begs the question is why was Foster allowed to remove a key fan engagement of the match day experience without being challenged? This should surely be out of the remit of a Head coach?

Simon said he didn’t know about it. Just another example of where were the checks and balances/ joined up thinking when Foster was here? I just get the sense Argyle we’re a little bit complacent/ asleep at the wheel preparing for Schuey’s succession and then also monitoring the sweeping changes by Foster. While now it doesn’t matter , let’s hope we learn from this as it’s these small things that undo a lot of hard work building the One Argyle philosophy.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
That it wasn’t in answer to any question about tickets and the interviewer didn’t pick up on the fact that that Head of the Ticket Office said we could have sold out 3 times over.
Yes that "could have sold out 3 times over" I take to mean if there are 4500 home tickets available for sale, they could have sold 3 times that . Perhaps.
So Circa 22,500 thousand home fans, not 3 times the ground capacity ... surely ?
Not a staggering figure considering Championship attendances generally, however we are in a situation where possibly several thousand dont even bother trying to get a ticket.

Last edited:

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Thanks for sharing, great listen.

Interesting that the autograph zone removal was brought up by one of our main sponsors. I think this really begs the question is why was Foster allowed to remove a key fan engagement of the match day experience without being challenged? This should surely be out of the remit of a Head coach?

Simon said he didn’t know about it. Just another example of where were the checks and balances/ joined up thinking when Foster was here? I just get the sense Argyle we’re a little bit complacent/ asleep at the wheel preparing for Schuey’s succession and then also monitoring the sweeping changes by Foster. While now it doesn’t matter , let’s hope we learn from this as it’s these small things that undo a lot of hard work building the One Argyle philosophy.
As I understood it, the removal was a logistical thing when Foster rescheduled the players' arrival at Home Park. I would suggest he had no knowledge of/interest in the autograph zone so would not have expressly removed it, per se.

For his numerous now evident issues in winning hearts and minds, I can't imagine for a moment he took the view that he'd make players get to the stadium at a different time with anything in mind other than fitting in to his matchday preparations.

Hopefully the atmosphere at the last two home games shows the One Argyle idea is as strong as ever.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Oh, forgot to add - I said I'd mention to @IJN that Trevor's clients should all get Portculis Janner Banners.... He was well up for that!