Pompey v Argyle Match Thread | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pompey v Argyle Match Thread

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Can someone explain the scenario, we are winning 2-1, we are under the cosh so we replace our two attackers who incidentally hardly got a kick. I get bringing Law on to run at there defence but to replace Broom with Grant who is a creative player when clearly we needed to shore up the defence with the ideal replacement in Gillespie. Jusy my view.
What game were you watching where Broom was replaced by Grant?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'm confused Charlie. Did Law come on to run at their defence last 5 minutes or did he come on at LWB which was occupied by Galloway?
Is Grant a creative player compared to Broom? Grant plays quite a bit as a wing back whereas Broom is more attacking surely?
I don't think it was a case of shoring up the defence being needed with 5 to go. That might have meant sitting back even more inviting more pressure. The 2 strikers had run themselves into the ground, two fresh legs came on not only to counter attack but also to be better able to track back when necessary with fresh legs? The other purpose of 3 subs late on was to disrupt the flow of the game when we were under some pressure. That makes some sense to me and is all part of running the clock down. At the end of the day who knows what might have happened or not with a slight change in the subs? Pompey were up for it and got a deserved equaliser at the death. Gutting for all we Argyle fans yes and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: Biggs
Aug 11, 2013
Charlie Boy has a point. Don’t want to be too critical after such a fantastic night of football but it felt like they were getting a lot of joy down Jo Edwards side and I’d like to have seen him given some help after the 80th minute at the expense of a striker.

Was hoping when Garrick got on we would see him get the ball and drive to the corner flags - alas he came on and again looked a fish out of water. Lost possession easily. Didn’t offer much. If there’s a footballer in there I’ve not seen sign of it yet. Law was a strange one where a like for like swap with Broom would have been my preference thereby not disrupting defence. But hey - hindsight’s a wonderful thing.

Reactions: Greendawe

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm confused Charlie. Did Law come on to run at their defence last 5 minutes or did he come on at LWB which was occupied by Galloway?
Is Grant a creative player compared to Broom? Grant plays quite a bit as a wing back whereas Broom is more attacking surely?
I don't think it was a case of shoring up the defence being needed with 5 to go. That might have meant sitting back even more inviting more pressure. The 2 strikers had run themselves into the ground, two fresh legs came on not only to counter attack but also to be better able to track back when necessary with fresh legs? The other purpose of 3 subs late on was to disrupt the flow of the game when we were under some pressure. That makes some sense to me and is all part of running the clock down. At the end of the day who knows what might have happened or not with a slight change in the subs? Pompey were up for it and got a deserved equaliser at the death. Gutting for all we Argyle fans yes and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I thought Galloway was at left centre-back?

Last season at Fratton Park we were 2-0 up and defender Woods replaced Jephcott in the 84th minute and Pompey scored in the 86th and 87th minute.

It just how it goes, in another game we'll grab a last minute equaliser.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Of course doh! and outstanding he was again and as you say on another day it could have been very different. For us we threw it away, for Pompey they gained just desserts with a great late effort.
Against Wednesday we won because we were outstanding harrying and pressing them from the off. Ask a Wednesday fan and they would probably say we won because they were so bad on the day.

Nov 2, 2004
Not a criticism but I did think at the time, why not take off Grant bring on Gillesphey and move Galloway to left wingback. All that Pompey were capable of was slinging in long crossed,It would have given more arial power .

Dec 3, 2005
Although I really enjoyed the Radio Devon commentator, Alan Seabrook tonight with his enthusiasm for Argyle, just ONE thing spoilt it - for listening on the radio - he constantly told us the ball had gone into touch, when in fact it had gone for a corner.

Aug 5, 2016
Not a criticism but I did think at the time, why not take off Grant bring on Gillesphey and move Galloway to left wingback. All that Pompey were capable of was slinging in long crossed,It would have given more arial power .

But the equaliser came from a volley 12 inches off the floor, and our best aerial player on on the pitch was marking him?

Mar 14, 2009
You have to say they had some decent chances.

The ball they put in from the left was good quality.

Whilst we played well, we did ride our luck too at times. I think a draw was a very fair result.

I felt we were in the game at times but it ebbed and flowed both ways.

Reactions: BlueinPL20

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
But the equaliser came from a volley 12 inches off the floor, and our best aerial player on on the pitch was marking him?

the late Pompey goal came from Pan letting his man get past him way too easily and also Law not marking his man (Ellis Harrison) to head back for the chance to be created - that’s the two mistakes that cost us for Pompeys second goal imo, and the reason that I voted Hardie as my MOM instead of Pan.

Oct 15, 2017
Were we undone with 3 subs in the last 5 mins?

Have to agree people are asking where the 5 minutes came from, the three argyle subs added a minute or more,
as most people have said they would have taken a draw at halftime but without the subs, we could have won I think
not a criticism of the players or the management just an unfortunate decision.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
the late Pompey goal came from Pan letting his man get past him way too easily and also Law not marking his man (Ellis Harrison) to head back for the chance to be created - that’s the two mistakes that cost us for Pompeys second goal imo, and the reason that I voted Hardie as my MOM instead of Pan.

Wasn't a lack of marking. Law goes to attack the cross and misjudges the flight of the ball.

I think the subs were the right thing to do, the only thing I'd have done differently was take Grant off altogether and left Broom on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The two striker changes were like for like so had no discernible impact on the outcome. The Law change.. would Grant have won the header vs Harrison? We'll never know. It happens.

Sep 6, 2006
Wasn't a lack of marking. Law goes to attack the cross and misjudges the flight of the ball.

I think the subs were the right thing to do, the only thing I'd have done differently was take Grant off altogether and left Broom on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The two striker changes were like for like so had no discernible impact on the outcome. The Law change.. would Grant have won the header vs Harrison? We'll never know. It happens.
Gillesphey may have won it though