Points based ticket priority | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Points based ticket priority

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There are only a few ways to minimise fans buying away tickets for the priority points and then not attending the game, so stopping fans who want to go to the match from going if the away end is sold out to a percentage of empty seats. The simplest way (although still tricky to set up) may be to issue priority points vouchers at the away turnstile with a code to redeem the points to your account. Doesn't stop it entirely, but someone has to go to the match using the ticket in order for the account to receive the points.
That seems a costly operation to root out what will probably be no more than a handful of supporters buying tickets and not attending. I would suggest that if somebody was intent on trying to jump the queue then they would buy a ticket and then sell it on. You'll have a job in finding those without any ID being required at the gate and I doubt even Premier League clubs would facilitate such resources for away supporters let alone EFL clubs.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Address the problem when it becomes a problem.
TBH I doubt that it will be even a handful that would spend £20 on some misguided plan to increase their points so they can get a ticket to that sought after cup tie that never materialises because we went out in an earlier round.

Jul 13, 2006
Let’s say they had introduced it before tickets went on sale, do you really think any season ticket holder would have not bought a season ticket just because a priority system was introduced for a small percentage of the away tickets?
It's possible. I don't have a problem with the idea. It's just the timing of it. Plus you're not been given what you ordered. Think of a restaurant analogy.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It's possible. I don't have a problem with the idea. It's just the timing of it. Plus you're not been given what you ordered. Think of a restaurant analogy.
Surely the need has come about because of the huge upsurge in season ticket sales which has highlighted the need. Would you rather they capped season ticket sales to say, 6,000?

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Better to plan for success and put in a robust and fare points based system ASAP rather than react to the issue later down the track. Can't believe the negative reaction to something that makes sense and other clubs have had for years. Plymouth at its best.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
What if though you can’t get the initial away games you are available for?

For example let’s assume Bristol Rovers was the first match away. Joe Bloggs buys his season ticket. He tries to get Bristol Rovers away but they sold out because allocation is small.

Joe cant get to the next few away games. But the following month he sees FGR away tickets. Another popular fixture. However, as he missed out on Bristol Rovers he now is behind a number of people on this points system and we only a month into the season.

Whilst l except that loyalty should be rewarded, to me if you rack up points in the opening part of the season you got a significant advantage for away tickets over other ST holders.

Some people can only go to a few away games because of other priorities, like job commitments. lm just not sure if it’s healthy if the same season tickets holders with more points always get the first opportunities for away tickets.

Reactions: metroace

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Im wondering where does loyalty start and end. What about if you buy a home shirt? That’s the price of a ticket. You still showing loyalty to Argyle. If attending matches gets points, why doesn’t supporting your club financially buying buying merchandise?

Feb 8, 2005
Im wondering where does loyalty start and end. What about if you buy a home shirt? That’s the price of a ticket. You still showing loyalty to Argyle. If attending matches gets points, why doesn’t supporting your club financially buying buying merchandise?
So the wealthiest supporters get the best deal?

Don't think so.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I must say, at Palace this does happen. We get one loyalty point for every £1 spent in the club shop. Also if you buy your food and drinks in the club outlets you receive one point for every pound spent. I will add though that this has proved controversial amongst supporters as many see it as "buying" your way ahead of fans who are going to more away games.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
When the survey went out it was obvious that those season ticket holders that only do a few away games, were going to say no to a points system, as they don’t want to lose out on local away games. Those that do every away game were obviously going to say yes as they don’t want to miss out on a local game. I suspect those complaining don’t do many away games, but want to do the local ones!
I went to 19 away games last season and I voted no. You will soon have a closed shop where the same fans get the tickets for all popular away games. Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland league games at Home Park last season were a case in point. Numerous complaints on their forums about the same fans ‘who had the points’ getting tickets. Mainly getting their points by buying tickets for every away game if they attended or not. Sheffield Wednesday in the cup replay was a a perfect example. They sold circa 1600 tickets for the Tuesday night and how many actually attended. Will not affect me in the slightest as I will have plenty of points but I am more than happy to take my chances with all other season ticket holders.

Apr 1, 2009
I went to 19 away games last season and I voted no. You will soon have a closed shop where the same fans get the tickets for all popular away games. Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland league games at Home Park last season were a case in point. Numerous complaints on their forums about the same fans ‘who had the points’ getting tickets. Mainly getting their points by buying tickets for every away game if they attended or not. Sheffield Wednesday in the cup replay was a a perfect example. They sold circa 1600 tickets for the Tuesday night and how many actually attended. Will not affect me in the slightest as I will have plenty of points but I am more than happy to take my chances with all other season ticket holders.
Alf, how many times did we sell out our away allocation last season? I can't remember many. Yes, we will sell out more often this with FGR and Bristol Rovers (there's another one I think). Whichever way tickets are sold there are going to be large numbers disappointed, but we are way short of the situation that Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday fans find themselves in. There are other less popular destinations, which I accept devour more time and money, and if our travelling support grows then it will be a question of spreading it across more distant away games.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So why is there not a "closed shop" already seeing as there are more season tickets sold than any away allocation the club is going to get this season unless there is a trip to Wembley?

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
I think the idea that those supporters that attend more games should be rewarded with first dibs for games with limited capacity.
Last season, if you wanted a ticket, generally, you could get one. And those that got the most tickets could rightly claim to warrant being at the head of a queue.
The problem is how to achieve it when tickets are more restricted. If you are one of the lucky ones to get a ticket for the first few away games, you have a head start on anyone else and, because tickets may be restricted, it means that those lucky ones increase their loyalty points and the others can only get to the 'less attractive' games.
It's been said on numerous occasions that other clubs use this system - does it work fairly or is that, too, discriminatory in a 'fair' way?

Of course, even the current system relies on access to the Internet or a phone when the tickets go on sale.

The fairest option would appear to be a lottery of some description, but that, too, is fought with problems.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
So why is there not a "closed shop" already seeing as there are more season tickets sold than any away allocation the club is going to get this season unless there is a trip to Wembley?
Because all season ticket holders currently have the same chance of going to an away game. As explained and using Sunderland as a example; obviously their away following far exceeded the capacity of most League 1 grounds. They would therefore sell tickets stating that you had to have so many points. This was always far more than most fans could ever hope to achieve and so the same 1000-1500 fans got the away tickets every game. Now, I understand that Argyle are only reserving a percentage of tickets for Season Ticket + Points holders this season, that it will only be a handful of games and again it will not affect me but this will be reviewed. My simple point is I do not feel that I should have any priority over any other ST holder

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Alf, how many times did we sell out our away allocation last season? I can't remember many. Yes, we will sell out more often this with FGR and Bristol Rovers (there's another one I think). Whichever way tickets are sold there are going to be large numbers disappointed, but we are way short of the situation that Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday fans find themselves in. There are other less popular destinations, which I accept devour more time and money, and if our travelling support grows then it will be a question of spreading it across more distant away games.
Off the top of my head, Chelsea, Oxford, Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Charlton, Birmingham, Burton and I believe Ipswich and Wycombe

Last edited: