Monday 16 November kick-off 7.45pm.

Portsmouth
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Portsmouth

Wednesday

Experienced referee Charles Breakspear is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 47 yellow cards and three reds in 12 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game on Boxing Day last season when the Greens beat Cheltenham Town 1-0.
Breakspear will be assisted on Monday by Ravel Cheosiaua and Mark Derrien while the fourth official is Alan Young.

The Dockyard Derby has taken place at Home Park 53 times, Argyle have won 28 games, drawn 11 and lost 14. The last three games have ended in draws.

Remember this? Play-off semi-final second leg May 16 2016 Matchday Moments ..... You Tube.

The game will be shown live by Sky Sports with Argyle receiving a £30,000 broadcast fee.
No iFollow subscriptions will be sold for the game although season ticket holders can still watch the game through the iFollow platform.

Thursday

Sky Bet has placed Portsmouth as favourites to win the game at 10/11, an Argyle win has odds of 12/5 and the draw is on offer at 5/2.

Pompey have won four of the last five league games with three of those wins coming in away games and are yet to lose an away league game this season.

Best home form v best away form
Argyle have the best home form in League One with 16 points from a possible 18 while Portsmouth have the best away form in the league gaining 13 points from five games.

To watch the game on iFollow the club urge 10% of season ticket holders to update their email address by 4pm tomorrow. No ad-hoc match codes will be sent out for this game ... club website.

Phil Sandys from the Portsmouth Supporters Trust has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A....
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic? 
A: We've done okay. I think the view from outside was that, because we have wealthy owners, we weren't going to be affected. However, we are run prudently as a sustainable business and, in that respect, we have faced the same challenges as businesses that are run in that way. Matchday income is a huge revenue stream for Pompey, with regular attendances of around 19,000, and to lose that source of income is a huge blow. 
To their credit, the club have tried to avoid passing the losses onto supporters. We were refunded for the missed games from the 2019/20 season, and season ticket holders (who account for 75% of the ground's capacity) have been able to, for a small fee, register for the opportunity to purchase tickets if there is a reduced capacity return this season and reserve their season tickets for next season. 

The biggest success, however, is that of Pompey in the Community, the charity that is affiliated to the club. PITC supplied food, essential supplies and support to people in the city who have been affected by the pandemic, both in terms of physical and mental health and financial circumstance. The most heartening aspect was how the players got involved, such as preparing meals, delivering supplies and paying visits to isolated people. Christian Burgess rightfully received plaudits for his involvement, but there were huge contributions from many of the players. Sadly, Christian moved on in the summer - his off-pitch contributions will be missed as much as his on-pitch efforts.

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Kenny Jackett? 
A: With a win percentage bettered only by Frank Bettell and Bob Blyth, Pompey's first two managers who served from 1898-1901 and 1901-1904 respectively, you would think that Kenny Jackett would be universally loved by the fans. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. Despite taking us to two successive playoff semi-finals and winning the EFL Trophy (with the chance to become the first team to retain it if last season's final ever gets played), Kenny doesn't get a lot of love from the fans. There appear to be two reasons for this. His style of football is perceived to be dull and outdated and, all too often, there has been a reliance on hitting long balls to a single striker. Ironically his predecessor, Paul Cook, was criticised for trying to pass teams off the pitch. I think fans would be more forgiving if his style of football had got us out of League One. Unfortunately, our play-off appearances have been marred by poor performances and baffling team selections. This season, much like the last, started poorly but a string of impressive performances have maybe started to win the fans over. Kenny's contract expires next summer, so you would feel that it is promotion or bust this season.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season? 
A: I would like to think that, once again, we will be challenging for automatic promotion, but I have a nagging feeling that we are heading for another year of playoff disappointment. I hope I'm wrong!

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Portsmouth likely to use against Argyle? 
A: If you'd asked me this question a couple of months ago, I would have said "terrible" and "4-2-3-1". However things have changed. We seem to have finally discovered that the best way to get John Marquis scoring is not to have our centre-backs hitting long balls to him. Our formation is more flexible, switching between a 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1, and occasionally 4-4-2 and even three at the back. We had just started to see the best of our summer signing, Michael Jacobs, in the number 10 role but he is unfortunately injured so I would expect to see Ronan Curtis, Marcus Harness and Ryan Williams operating behind Marquis. All three have skill, pace and the ability to run at defenders. They are also fairly interchangeable, so you could see them switching roles during the game. Another player who has come into form, but is out with injury, is Andy Cannon. His place in central midfield, alongside captain Tom Naylor, is likely to be taken by Ben Close. Cannon's energy will be sorely missed, but Close offers calmness, neat passing, and the occasional spectacular goal. The back four will be missing arguably our best defender, Jack Whatmough, and the experienced Lee Brown, so that will give Plymouth encouragement.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle? 
A: From a personal view, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to go to Home Park this season. When we were both in League Two, one of the regular highlights was spending the weekend in Cornwall and then walking to Plymouth, via the Cremyll Ferry. I've never bought into the "Dockyard Derby", a term that Sky Sports seem to have created, and don't know anybody who has seen us as traditional rivals. Any animosity that we may have had towards Plymouth disappeared when Derek Adams was sacked, as he had a way of getting under Pompey fans' skin. That said, his rivalry with Paul Cook was quite something and I'm sure Argyle fans had a similar opinion of our former manager! On the pitch, the Plymouth squad is barely recognisable from last time we met, so it will be interesting to see how the team has changed.

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Plymouth have an excellent home record, and a very promising manager in Ryan Lowe. I don't expect Home Park will be an easy place to visit for any team this season. Unusually for us, our away form has been better than our home form, and goals have been plentiful away from Fratton Park. We play particularly well on the counter attack, and I can see Monday's game being an exciting one. I would expect Plymouth to dominate possession, with Pompey looking to hit on the break. It's going to be a close one, but I am predicting us to nick it with a late goal in a 2-1 victory. That said, I wouldn't be too unhappy with a draw!
-------------

Nastiness, headbutts, heartbreak and Derek Adams - the recent rivalry between the two clubs .. The News.
For a period of time, the clubs had been ferocious rivals.
Initially sparked by animosity between Cook and opposite number Derek Adams, stemming from their very first footballing encounter, the sides were long at loggerheads.
As promotion adversaries and undisputedly two of the largest clubs in League Two, it became an ongoing conflict maintained in the division above.

Friday

The cover of the match programme ...

Match preview .... Hampshire Live.

Saturday

Pompey manager Kenny Jackett looks ahead to the game ...The News.
‘Plymouth are five wins and a draw at home, which is a terrific home record after coming up.
‘They’ve been the best of the promoted sides so far, and are in a good position themselves to attack the promotion places.
Argyle v Pompey Frequently Asked Questions .. club website.

Ryan Hardie looks ahead to the game ... club You Tube.

Ryan Lowe also talks about the Pompey game ... club You Tube.

Pompey manager Kenny Jackett talks about the game ... Portsmouth You Tube.

The match will be shown live around the world, find your channel ... here.
Notably: USA - ESPN+, Canada - DAZN, New Zealand - beIN Sports.

Sunday

Former Portsmouth defender Ben Davies talks about the play-off semi-final defeat and gaining revenge a year later as a Grimsby Town player .... The News.

Match preview .... club website.

A Portsmouth fan previews the game ... The News.

Monday

Predicted Pompey line-up ... The News.

Season ticket holders will still receive the match through the iFollow platform although the actual coverage will be provided by Sky Sports.

Match preview ... Portsmouth club website.

The Portsmouth squad trained at Millbay Park this morning.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
rongreenblood":3klep0hl said:
Brilliant moment,magical,pity it was all for nothing,still, beating Pompey is always good. :scarf:

Lord the noise!! You forget so quickly!! :lol:

Any young keepers out there: you've got to be strong and committed, you've got to go for the ball and/or get flattened trying!! They could have taken their keeper off, put a centre half sub on Hartley and we might not have scored!! I guess one of their players would then have had to go in goal mind!! :lol:

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Good news in regard to iFollow - as I don't have Sky I was going to buy a Sky Sports Day Pass, which I have never used before.

COYG :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Site Manager":22a8gt65 said:

Monday 16 November kick-off 7.45pm.

Portsmouth
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Portsmouth

Wednesday

Experienced referee Charles Breakspear is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 47 yellow cards and three reds in 12 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game on Boxing Day last season when the Greens beat Cheltenham Town 1-0.
Breakspear will be assisted on Monday by Ravel Cheosiaua and Mark Derrien while the fourth official is Alan Young.

The Dockyard Derby has taken place at Home Park 53 times, Argyle have won 28 games, drawn 11 and lost 14. The last three games have ended in draws.

Remember this? Play-off semi-final second leg May 16 2016 Matchday Moments ..... You Tube.

The game will be shown live by Sky Sports with Argyle receiving a £30,000 broadcast fee.
No iFollow subscriptions will be sold for the game although season ticket holders can still watch the game through the iFollow platform.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
You should be able to get a Now TV Sports day pass for a tenner if you haven't got Sky. I've got the month's pass & the quality is good. :thumbup:

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Match day moments 11 minutes when the Lyndhurst all rise in unison when we score still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand .

Also I just feel sorry for the current players and management team, Lowe promised to get the place bouncing but due to unforeseen circumstances he hasn't yet. But boy I can't wait until they all experience home park at its best. :scarf:

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Cdp82":2nxen0bp said:
Match day moments 11 minutes when the Lyndhurst all rise in unison when we score still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand .
. :scarf:

Should be part of Ryan’s team talk maybe show them the video before they go out on to the pitch. Whilst it had added spice of getting us to the playoffs it was also about beating Pompey.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Dockyard Derby or Battle of the Ports? I'll go for Dockyard Derby. :thumbs:

Olaf

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🚑 Steve Hooper
Aug 2, 2016
The bookies have Argyle as outsiders at 3/1 and Portsmouth at odds on (19/20). Not denying Portsmouth are a strong test but the form make those odds ridiculous.

Aug 4, 2011
Olaf":1xqf174q said:
The bookies have Argyle as outsiders at 3/1 and Portsmouth at odds on (19/20). Not denying Portsmouth are a strong test but the form make those odds ridiculous.
Pompey have been favourites in their last 2 away games (Lincoln and Ipswich) which looked out of kilter.

There is early evidence to suggest the lack of supporters (and perhaps the VAR impact) has reduced or removed “home advantage” in the Premiership, but lower down the leagues where the crowds are lower and teams travelling on the day / not by air, their doesn’t seem to be the same impact on the home advantage. At 3/1 it looks very generous for Argyle given our home form.