🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Jun 27, 2019
Not keen on us signing Garrick. There were one or two flashes of promise but nothing to suggest he's the sort of player who can push us onto the next level.

I'd rather the budget was spent elsewhere.

Reactions: rsp4
Dec 30, 2020
Kane Wilson, just been voted L2 player of the season.
Callum Morton seems to have impressed everywhere he’s been - annoyingly seeing as he is from Torquay and slipped through the net.

It is just incredible the number of players from Devon and Cornwall that Argyle miss out or pass on, mostly to teams like Exeter, Swindon or in this case Yeovil rather than anybody any good.

Is it our scouting that has been so disastrously bad? Or are we actually picking up better players than Morton, Ollie Watkins, Kieffer Moore etc and coaching them down to Plymouth Parkway level? It doesn't exactly reassure you about the decision to release multiple title-winning young players the other week.

It's noticeable that practically every other thread on here turns into a moan about the disadvantage of our location - if we were picking up even some of the multiple Championship/Premier League quality players raised in the region, our remoteness would (and should) be hailed as a massive asset.

Reactions: MFL and Sidewinder

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Jephcott is every bit as far advanced in his career compared to where Keiffer Moore was at the same age so all is not lost.
Garrick would be a good permanent addition but do we use him as a jack of all trades or do we see him try to nail down a position of his own?
The quandry is we then have the same four strikers. Logic would suggest that all four are still developing and all should further improve at the age they are so is it the supply to them that needs improving and other positions that need improving on?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if a bid came in for Ryan Hardie, he scored 19 goals and only injury stopped him reaching the landmark of 20 goals.
Goal scoring strikers are obviously always sought after.

Jun 27, 2021
It is just incredible the number of players from Devon and Cornwall that Argyle miss out or pass on, mostly to teams like Exeter, Swindon or in this case Yeovil rather than anybody any good.

Is it our scouting that has been so disastrously bad? Or are we actually picking up better players than Morton, Ollie Watkins, Kieffer Moore etc and coaching them down to Plymouth Parkway level? It doesn't exactly reassure you about the decision to release multiple title-winning young players the other week.

It's noticeable that practically every other thread on here turns into a moan about the disadvantage of our location - if we were picking up even some of the multiple Championship/Premier League quality players raised in the region, our remoteness would (and should) be hailed as a massive asset.
I think our admin days had an effect on this bunch that came through past us, we also lost some Jems, for free or very reduced prices in those times. I’m hoping new set up and bright future will allow us to keep some to ourselves, there will always be a couple that either potential miss ready or have dropped a level and refocused to move up in their careers like Isaac vassal whom went away worked on the bits that were lacking and got his big move. (He has just been released, has a poor injury record tho)

Sep 3, 2011
I'd take palmer from WBA in a heart beat more than competent to replace coops
No chance of him signing. Just read his interview from the Express and Star. He's obviously just signed a ltd, keen to push as first choice keeper for what he describes as "his club" and then there's the wages, dropping down a league and maybe location. If we had been promoted to the championship then it would have been a possibility.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if a bid came in for Ryan Hardie, he scored 19 goals and only injury stopped him reaching the landmark of 20 goals.
Goal scoring strikers are obviously always sought after.
I think that likely too. It would offer the opportunity to replace with a more robust striker should a tweak in style be needed.

Reactions: elburtontrev
Dec 30, 2020
Jephcott is every bit as far advanced in his career compared to where Keiffer Moore was at the same age so all is not lost.
Garrick would be a good permanent addition but do we use him as a jack of all trades or do we see him try to nail down a position of his own?
The quandry is we then have the same four strikers. Logic would suggest that all four are still developing and all should further improve at the age they are so is it the supply to them that needs improving and other positions that need improving on?

Garrick has potential, which he may or may not fulfil, and versatility - especially if we try and mix things up a bit more next season, eg playing a 3-4-3 system with an extra attacking player out wide.

It depends on who else is available. As with Broom, I find it hard to imagine there are many significantly better players out there at our price point. In both cases we know they can do a decent job for a team getting inside the top ten in League 1, and are also both of an age where it's realistic to think they can improve further.

Reactions: SurreyJanner

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Garrick has potential, which he may or may not fulfil, and versatility - especially if we try and mix things up a bit more next season, eg playing a 3-4-3 system with an extra attacking player out wide.

It depends on who else is available. As with Broom, I find it hard to imagine there are many significantly better players out there at our price point. In both cases we know they can do a decent job for a team getting inside the top ten in League 1, and are also both of an age where it's realistic to think they can improve further.
Yes, more or less as I see it. I think it's legs up and down the midfield we lack a bit, some penetration out wide and a little more nastiness. Only 6 players in League 1 received more bookings than Houghton. Good as he is on the ball he isn't a dirty or hard player. Most were for trips or shirt pulls where his lack of pace cost him.

Aug 5, 2016
Versatile player but needs to do more to get into a starting 11.
What players are consistently great off the bench?
The majority of them need a strong run of games to hit maximum fitness and find top form.
Dominic Telford was never going to excel for us in 20 minutes here and there and starts in the cups, but send him to Newport, start 20 games in a row and he looks a different player.
Boom looked superb at the start of the season, but take him out for a month and he never looked the same being rotated in and out.
It’s very harsh making a player live off scraps and demanding they score goals and make an impression.
Garrick is a good player with fantastic attributes, we’d be mad to take a pass on him IMO.
Fast as a whippet, fantastic character/attitude and a good injury record. When he was at his best he showed he could be a regular match winner at this level.
It’s up to us to sign him and get the best out of him.

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Reactions: oldage