Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sessegnon seems such a no-brainer IF he is willing to come on a permanent deal. Wasn't sure about him at first, but he got better with every game and fits the system perfectly. Loads of improvement and resale value too.

Dec 30, 2020
We also need a goalscoring midfielder. Badly.

I doubt we'll get one, unfortunately. The fact that Camara, Broom and Mayor are all good players but didn't score regularly suggests to me it's just the way we play.

Two strikers means there's less space for runners from midfield, the lack of wingers means fewer fast attacking breaks and no target man means that midfielders can't play the give and go into goalscoring positions (someone like Ryan Taylor would enable Mayor to score as often as Carey and Lameiras did playing off him).

It's not like the midfielders were missing multiple chances last season, beyond pot shots from miles out. And you can't say players like Broom and Camara weren't willing runners who wouldn't have broken their necks to get into scoring positions, if the space was there.

We'll be relying on the strikers for goals again, though hopefully we'll do better from corners and free kicks. Butcher might be a good addition in this respect.

Jul 18, 2013
Lyle Taylor would be perfect up top and is available. His performances for Birmingham on loan mean he'll get a championship move though no doubt. Class player who loves scoring at Home Park.

Reactions: Superguy

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Lyle Taylor would be perfect up top and is available. His performances for Birmingham on loan mean he'll get a championship move though no doubt. Class player who loves scoring at Home Park.

Good shout- I’d love Lyle Taylor.. 👍

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
We also need a goalscoring midfielder. Badly.
Including wing backs , our midfield contributed I believe 26 goals last season from 9 players that I can see , only a quick check so maybe more, average goals per midfielder just under 3 , increasing that to 4 would give 35 , or 5 would give 44goals for the season. I think building a goal scoring midfield where several players get 4-6 a season is more likely than signing a 10 to 15 goal midfielder .

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Including wing backs , our midfield contributed I believe 26 goals last season from 9 players that I can see , only a quick check so maybe more, average goals per midfielder just under 3 , increasing that to 4 would give 35 , or 5 would give 44goals for the season. I think building a goal scoring midfield where several players get 4-6 a season is more likely than signing a 10 to 15 goal midfielder .

I agree. Also, it's pretty obvious that the one midfielder who really underperforms from a goalscoring perspective is Danny Mayor although he hasn't always done so (3 goals in 2 seasons at Argyle [1.5 goals per season] but 31 goals in 5 seasons at Bury [6.2 goals per season]).

I also think that we should be scoring a lot more goals from set-pieces via our centre-backs. I suspect that is more to do with the quality of delivery than anything else.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Lyle Taylor is exactly the sort of player everyone loves to hate until he plays for you. I'd be delighted if we got him. Can't see it though, he should get a Championship club.

Reactions: Vickery
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I agree. Also, it's pretty obvious that the one midfielder who really underperforms from a goalscoring perspective is Danny Mayor although he hasn't always done so (3 goals in 2 seasons at Argyle [1.5 goals per season] but 31 goals in 5 seasons at Bury [6.2 goals per season]).

I also think that we should be scoring a lot more goals from set-pieces via our centre-backs. I suspect that is more to do with the quality of delivery than anything else.
Absolutely, small increase in goal outputs from centre backs and midfielders could add 10-15 goals this coming season.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lyle Taylor is exactly the sort of player everyone loves to hate until he plays for you. I'd be delighted if we got him. Can't see it though, he should get a Championship club.
A good player, especially at L1 level, although I went off him a bit when he refused to play for Charlton. A bit of the Ladapos?

Apr 1, 2009
Sessegnon seems such a no-brainer IF he is willing to come on a permanent deal. Wasn't sure about him at first, but he got better with every game and fits the system perfectly. Loads of improvement and resale value too.
Don't get me wrong, but I'd love to get Sessegnon. However Fulham have offered him a deal so there would be a fee, and I imagine his wage expectation wouldn't be small. If we did pay out all this money, are we looking to do so for a reserve RWB, as Edwards is inked in as first choice in that position? I doubt he'd come anyway, partly for the same reason, but I don't think it's viable for us to spend significant money, by our standards, on someone who wouldn't be a first choice starter.