Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 132 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 14, 2009
Let’s remember this is a manager who loves playing players out of position to fit his system.

Edwards. Brought in as a midfielder. Now RWB. C Grant. Played mostly as a midfielder. Now LWB. G Cooper Played mostly as a winger/wide midfielder or a 10 at Peterborough. Played at LWB.

So to put Garrick upfront, when he has played mostly out wide would just be a normal thing our manager does to accommodate his system.

He talked about 3-4-3. Perfect for Garrick to slot in at RW. We just don’t ever see a system change unfortunately.

Reactions: Justin

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ennis is out until late October or early November and it's not guaranteed he'll return by then, that's a minimum of 10 league matches plus the five he's already missed.

It's a huge burden on Jephcott or Hardie who are both young, Jephcott is playing in only his second full season in the league and faded towards the end of last season.

Shirley is only 18 and is yet to play a full league game, in normal circumstances he would have been nurtured and possibly 5th choice striker or gone out on loan.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
I don’t get this stubbornness over getting a striker. I truly thought after the window closed, we’d pick someone up in a week.

I appreciate the need to fit, but at face value if Lowe is this picky I am amazed we signed anyone.

We are going to be playing defenders up front in the last minutes of games at this rate.

Clearly, I’m not a football manager so I missing something, but I am getting irritated. Mind you Mr Lowe might not like how I do my job :)

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I don’t get this stubbornness over getting a striker. I truly thought after the window closed, we’d pick someone up in a week.

I appreciate the need to fit, but at face value if Lowe is this picky I am amazed we signed anyone.

We are going to be playing defenders up front in the last minutes of games at this rate.

Clearly, I’m not a football manager so I missing something, but I am getting irritated. Mind you Mr Lowe might not like how I do my job :)
But you don't know that Lowe IS being picky or stubborn.

What if... we sign a not very good back-up striker now who we don't use much over the next three months and then miss out on a really good transfer target in January because the budget won't quite bear the costs?

I think it is VERY important that if we sign a player now they are someone who it is really worth using up part of our precious budget on and I would much rather sign no-one than chuck money at someone just because...

Obviously, I would prefer that we had more cover and options in attack, but there really is no point in wasting money. I am pretty sure that Ryan Lowe and co will be exploring options and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we do sign someone at some point.

[P.S. I like your final comment!]

May 22, 2006
Lowe has revealed that he’s been in talks with a few free agents.

If Lowe doesn’t fancy Sturridge, he could always consider Andy Carroll, another current free agent.
It’s a bit annoying that strikers have earned so much money in the past they do not feel the need to work for it now.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Less talking and more action.

we could, should, won’t, might, can’t, will.

Gettinh boring now.

Jul 28, 2020

Agree - having three strikers is an accident waiting to happen.….

I’m not at all re- assured by Lowe’s musings that non- strikers can play up front……. I could be a sumo- wrestler, pole- dancer or astronaut ….. but it doesn’t mean that I would be successful or appreciated in those roles….

Jan 2, 2006
But you don't know that Lowe IS being picky or stubborn.

What if... we sign a not very good back-up striker now who we don't use much over the next three months and then miss out on a really good transfer target in January because the budget won't quite bear the costs?

this is possibly the stumbling block in talks / negotiations. Lowe is possibly looking to offer a short term contract until Jan thinking that if it doesn’t work out he can go for another player in January instead and if it does go well we can extend the contract. However I would imagine available players don’t want to be looking for a new club again in a few months

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
If Lowe doesn’t fancy Sturridge, he could always consider Andy Carroll, another current free agent.
It’s a bit annoying that strikers have earned so much money in the past they do not feel the need to work for it now.

Get what you’re saying, thing with it if they don’t a stick a offer in they won’t know if they will accept.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Reminds me a bit of when Carl Fletcher(?) played one of our centre half’s as a striker as there was no other available option. Can’t recall who it was now.

Feb 8, 2005
Actually Hardie came off and was replaced with Shirley so I haven't made things up at all. Lowe had more confidence in a young lad with zero experience at that level.
You are right, Balham, he gave a young lad some game time.

He has so many plates to spin, we'll see what he does when it really matters.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Actually Hardie came off and was replaced with Shirley so I haven't made things up at all. Lowe had more confidence in a young lad with zero experience at that level.
Not exactly - the fact that Garrick came on at RWB suggests Lowe thought in that particular instance that’s Garrick would be more effective in that role at that particular time.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Perhaps he is being stubborn and does want Sturridge, perhaps he has told him i will ring you every day until you get fed up and say yes 😂

Mar 16, 2009
London
Not exactly - the fact that Garrick came on at RWB suggests Lowe thought in that particular instance that’s Garrick would be more effective in that role at that particular time.

Your theory that Lowe wants Garrick to be our back up centre forward is looking increasingly flawed.

Garrick comes on to replace Edwards at RWB because Edwards has tired, you say.

So then what happens when Hardie or Jephcott, or both, also need replacing because they too are tiring?

You can't call Garrick off the bench because he's already been brought on as a RWB. So we're left with one solitary option - an 18 year old who's at least a season's loan in non-league away from being ready for this kind of impact role.

Incidentally, the impact sub role could be the match winner, the edge the side needs to swing the match. Sometimes it can be the most crucial role of the whole match. It's not to be underestimated.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Your theory that Lowe wants Garrick to be our back up centre forward is looking increasingly flawed.

Garrick comes on to replace Edwards at RWB because Edwards has tired, you say.

So then what happens when Hardie or Jephcott, or both, also need replacing because they too are tiring?

You can't call Garrick off the bench because he's already been brought on as a RWB. So we're left with one solitary option - an 18 year old who's at least a season's loan in non-league away from being ready for this kind of impact role.

Incidentally, the impact sub role could be the match winner, the edge the side needs to swing the match. Sometimes it can be the most crucial role of the whole match. It's not to be underestimated.
Jeez your hellbent on negating Garrick as any CF option aren’t you.

Well, here’s rye thing… considering Lowe (who by the way is the manager of the football club and kind of has a say in what players play where) has stated Garrick CAN BE AN OPTION FOR PLAYING CF…. I dismiss you rather tedious and flawed opinion that Garrick cannot be played upfront.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Reactions: NLG and DartPilgrim