Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 71 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
That makes v. interesting reading. I wonder just how many Trustees of a UK Retirement Pension Fund would allow their investment manager to make an investment in what is a football club in the third tier of a foreign football league? Ipswich F C have a good pedigree down the decades from the days of Alf Ramsey but at the same time you cannot ignore the history and fall of the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth and Derby County.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Your suggestion is what I think is nonsense. Have most on here actually commented on Randell, let alone predict how much game time he will get? Has anyone specifically compared him to Reeves? I have seen a number of people be extremely positive about Randell, whilst some others have urged caution in terms of putting too much expectation on him. I don't think the latter are out of order, believing that some of the ridiculous over hype of Jephcott last season did the player no good at all.

Davie, I'll try and say this politely. You were very defensive throughout last season whenever anyone criticised Mike Cooper. On the whole nothing wrong with that, but there was the odd occasion where you seemed to take it very personally! I sense you are underwhelmed with some people's cautious expectations for Randell - unnecessarily so IMO at this stage, as everyone I speak to seems very excited about him. I just don't think it is true that most on here expect him to have a season like Reeves, and would be very surprised if the evidence showed that had been expressed.

Relax! Randell will get significantly more game time than Reeves, and make more of it.
Thanks for your detailed response. I accept that, following the 2 recent games against Championship clubs, opinions are changing.
My opinion was based on comments before pre-season games started and there were a lot of posters suggesting that the ‘jump’ from National League to League 1 would be too big for him this season. I accept that the word ‘most’ was probably an exaggeration.
With regard to Mike Cooper, I do recall an exchange of views with you about him and comparison with Ramsdale in the FA Cup game. I think that my reason for defending him was because I had read that he was being abused on other social media sites, not that I’m suggesting you abused him in any way. I only use Pasoti and read Twitter to get Argyle news but never post on it.
Anyhow, your response was polite and I’ll relax now.

Reactions: xmastree
May 22, 2006
Dan Crawley, 23, midfield playmaker just been released by Birmingham City.

"Crowley is a creative midfielder with quick feet, strong dribbling skills and a speciality for set pieces"

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

https://birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... after-all/

If you take a look at his statistics from last year, you can see that he can offer us that ‘dictating play’ option in central midfield; averaging an 82.5% pass completion rate, 1.5 key passes per game and 1.2 long balls per game.

Plus, having had 1.8 dribbles per game out wide, the most of any Blues player last campaign, he’s clearly not scared to take a man on, so if he can just transfer that from a winger to driving through the heart of the midfield, then I think we really could be onto something here.

You might be tempted to say that Crowley is a jack of all trades, but a master of none, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing.

Any use to us?
Somewhat unbelievably, playing as a trialist for Cheltenham against Hereford tonight. Would be amazed if they could meet his wages.

Last Friday he played for Doncaster against Newcastle. If we are still after a midfielder, would be worth considerin.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Just because other clubs in league 1 sign numerous players, spend shed loads of money it doesn't guarantee success- Salford in league 2 have been doing it for years & are still in league 2

Sunderland have quality players but are still in league 1 & their top goal scorer has gone to Wigan

Ipswich with their new found wealth signing players left right & centre hoping to buy their way out of the league which is not a given

Throwing money at it does not guarantee success

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Just because other clubs in league 1 sign numerous players, spend shed loads of money it doesn't guarantee success- Salford in league 2 have been doing it for years & are still in league 2

Sunderland have quality players but are still in league 1 & their top goal scorer has gone to Wigan

Ipswich with their new found wealth signing players left right & centre hoping to buy their way out of the league which is not a given

You have also got to ask if it really is 'success' to get promotion to the Championship League where half the clubs are overloaded in servicing debt in the forlorn hope of actually staying in that League. It appears to be a cycle of ambition over liquidation / club sale, unless the parachute payments from Premiership relegation are used prudently with intelligence.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
with intelligence.
ROTFL! They were designed to allow relegated clubs to pay the players on high wages until their contracts ended, or to pay them off. Most clubs seem to have used them to increase their expenditure in a (often vain) attempt to go straight back up. That's why you end up with Sunderland and Ipswich in League 1.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003

I understand and totally agree with your sentiment, but your example of Salford undermines the argument.

You are not wrong in stating that Salford have been in League Two for 'years': a grand total of two!

They were in the Northern Premier League when money first started pouring in. They then secured four promotions to get into the league they are currently residing, and have won the EFL Trophy.

You're right that money doesn't guarantee success, but it's a pretty important element.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I understand and totally agree with your sentiment, but your example of Salford undermines the argument.

You are not wrong in stating that Salford have been in League Two for 'years': a grand total of two!

They were in the Northern Premier League when money first started pouring in. They then secured four promotions to get into the league they are currently residing, and have won the EFL Trophy.

You're right that money doesn't guarantee success, but it's a pretty important element.
I didnt realise they had been in league 2 for only 2 years- time flies

For all the bank rolling they have had & i take on board they beat Pompey to win a trophy there was probably an expectation they would have been around the top 7 of league 2 last season but it wasnt to be- they even changed manager

I think my frustration with Salford is the continuous love in with certain media outlets just because of who owns them

It will be interesting to see where the teams with the biggest pockets end up come the end of the season

Reactions: Trebargran
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Linked to Ryan Broom of Peterborough on a season long loan. Spent time on loan at Burton last season

A super player. This would be a great acquisition.

The Twitter has said a “special guest” will be joining today’s training session. So it suggests an incoming on the way.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
A super player. This would be a great acquisition.

The Twitter has said a “special guest” will be joining today’s training session. So it suggests an incoming on the way.
More likely the special guest will be an ex-player or ex-manager